Purple Sorcerer Games: The Sunken City Starting Adventures

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Purple Sorcerer Games: The Sunken City Starting Adventur

Post by tovokas »

...downloadable version of the 0-level generator?
Hmmm, the PDF generation in the program uses PHP (a web server technology) to create the PDFs, so it would require some serious arm-bending to create a "portable" version. I agree it would be very cool, so I'll keep my eyes open for alternative paths.

On a more positive note, I'm close to announcing the release of a massive update to the "Funky Dice Roller" (now re-branded "The Crawler's Companion") that in many ways turns the program into "DCC RPG on the go". It's designed from the ground up to work on tablets/mobile devices, at least eventually. (There are some serious fiscal hurdles in making it available/testing it for devices other than what I use for development (my Kindle Fire), especially on the iPad side of things, but I'm weighing some alternatives...)

It's an exciting time!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Perils of the Sunken City, the first of the Sunken City Starting Adventures will officially be available for purchase at RPGNow beginning May 22!

A print-on-demand version will be available from the same source shortly thereafter.

We've been creating a number of free downloads to support the adventure, including battle maps and paper miniatures for the figure-inclined. All the free enhancements will be available at purplesorcerer.com.

We're also busy polishing and producing the same sorts of goodies for the 2nd adventure in the series, The Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk, so that adventure will be delayed a bit to June 22. The 3rd adventure in the series, A Gathering of the Marked, will follow on July 23.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy this summer long roll out of adventure... it's been a blast creating them!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Perils of the Sunken City can now be purchased at RPGnow.

Huzzah! Tell your friends. Be a trendsetter and purchase a copy today! ;)

(Thanks one and all for your support.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
nstr
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nstr »

I picked up a copy. Was only able to briefly look through it so far, but it is done in a professional manner. From what I read it looks to be fun. I am looking forward to reading it thoroughly.

I have been impressed with everything you have been doing on your website and it looks it is more of the same with the adventure. Look forward to getting some physical copies since I prefer that to pdfs.

Edit: Wow! Checked out the free downloads for the adventure on your site. Amazing.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

nstr wrote:I picked up a copy. Was only able to briefly look through it so far, but it is done in a professional manner. From what I read it looks to be fun. I am looking forward to reading it thoroughly.

I have been impressed with everything you have been doing on your website and it looks it is more of the same with the adventure. Look forward to getting some physical copies since I prefer that to pdfs.

Edit: Wow! Checked out the free downloads for the adventure on your site. Amazing.
Thanks nstr! I'm working through the process of getting the print version out there - all future releases should have the print version available when the PDF goes live. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

It says 0-1 , will 0 lvls get smoked during this?
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

It's a 0-level funnel adventure from the ground up, with I think, a "funnel adventure" sensibilities. I also believe it could be fun for a smaller party of 1st level characters, so that's why we added the 0-1 designation.

Also, judges are encouraged to adjust the encounters to challenge the size and strength of your group, and in most cases that just involves dropping/raising the number of baddies in the encounter by 1 or 2. (Though I love the aspect of the DCC RPG that doesn't try to balance everything completely... sometimes you just have to know when to run!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
HiroTsukasa
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by HiroTsukasa »

Picked this up on a whim mostly as a "thank you" for the 0-Level Generator (immensely helpful for putting together demos of DCC). That being said, it was very impressive and I'm sold on future releases in the line. Really enjoyed that there was enough of a background that you could potentially flesh it out and set an entire campaign around the Sunken City or just as easily drop it into an existing campaign.

Running the adventure for level 1 characters seems to assume the standard set-up of 1 character per player, so I think it balances out fairly well. Don't want to spoil it, but a key moment around the middle of the adventure seems to have a high chance of being pretty lethal for poor level-0's. However, it is also perhaps the most impressive challenge in the adventure. Despite the danger, it is not impossible and surviving through would certainly feel like a huge accomplishment.

For future releases, is there any chance of there being a Print+PDF bundle?
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

HiroTsukasa wrote:For future releases, is there any chance of there being a Print+PDF bundle?
Yes, there will definitely be Print+PDF bundles! (And thanks for the kind words.)

Also, I'd love to hear from any and all who run the adventure about their experiences/observations! (Probably best through the Purple Sorcerer website contact form to avoid spoilers.) Each group is so different, and you can only test so much. :)

I'm planning on adding FAQ sections for each adventure to the site - along with mod notes for adjusting each encounter to taste, as well as a "GM's" corner with notes from gamemasters in the field.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Thanks for answering my post propmtly, purchasing right.... Now!
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

I also picked up a copy, also as a sort of virtual tip for the work you guys have done on your free tools. The fact the adventure seems really cool is a nice bonus. Good luck with the sales.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thanks very much funkaoshi and Karaptis. (And I'm glad you've found the tools useful)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Awesome. Looking forward to the print copy!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Got my copy. Looks fun!

Oh -- and I second the THANKS! for the DCC tools. We've used them heavily.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Netherstorm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Netherstorm »

Bought Sunken City, printed it, read it... it is really good. I'll probably run it in the next few weeks. The setting is very cool, I will be very interested to see how my group takes to it. And can't wait for them to explore the arena!
Power Score: A blog about DCC RPG, D&D Next, Spelljammer, and life as a DM
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thanks Ragstorm and Netherboy... wait, that's not right, I think I'm getting tired. ;)

I really do appreciate the wonderful support I've received from everyone here. We spent over 2 days as the hottest item at RPGNow, and I'm sure most of that is because of you fine folks.

It's really got me excited about the upcoming adventures.

(Also, if you feel so inclined, reviewing the adventure at RPGNow is very helpful - I know reviews often play a big part in many of my purchase decisions there.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

Like some others who have noted it here, I picked up Perils mostly because of the Purple Sorcerer DCC tools. But... wow! The module is fun, and deadly.

It's making me modify my group's starting occupation table, and I may just have to work up a new humanoid class...
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

It's making me modify my group's starting occupation table, and I may just have to work up a new humanoid class...
If you do get a new table worked up, be sure to send it along (using these instructions) so I can add it to the 0-level Party Generator. And thanks!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Occasionally on the Purple Sorcerer Games Blog I discuss what I particularly like about the DCC RPG. Here's the latest:

Why Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG? It makes killing fun again!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
TheRupert
Gongfarmer

Post by TheRupert »

Picked up "Perils of the Sunken City" today from RPGNow, and I gotta say, it's awesome! Going to start running it this coming weekend, so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Also wanted to say thank you for the tools you've provided. I Absolutely love them, and especially the "Funky Dice Roller"!

Are there any plans of getting an "off line" version of the dice roller for iPhone and/or iPad at some point??? I would GLADLY pay for this app!!!

Thanks again for all the awesome work! You've definitely secured a life-long customer in me!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thanks for the very kind words TheRupert.

And I'll be making an announcement about the Funky Dice Roller soon. ;)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Maybe I'm late to the party, but ...

... did everyone else catch that the Sunken City comes with paper minis, battlemaps, pregens and reference sheets?!

For $5? That's insane.

I'm buying it to see if Mustertown can serve as the missing homebase / village for Sailors. So you'd start in Muster, run through Sailors, and then use the sending stones to approach the Sunken City.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Harley Stroh wrote:Maybe I'm late to the party, but ...

... did everyone else catch that the Sunken City comes with paper minis, battlemaps, pregens and reference sheets?!

For $5? That's insane.

I'm buying it to see if Mustertown can serve as the missing homebase / village for Sailors. So you'd start in Muster, run through Sailors, and then use the sending stones to approach the Sunken City.

//H
That's very cool Harley. Thank you.

I'm actually whipping up a selection of "emotional tie-in" options as another free download for judges that want their party to seek out Madazkan's Court for a specific reason, not just end up there randomly. ...I'm sure they'll be included in my dreamed-of hardcover comp of SC-1, SC-2, and SC-3. ;)

But that makes me think it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a few 'prequal' ideas as well for players coming to the Sunken City with a little experience under their belts.
I'll crack open Sailors and see if some simple, but memorable link presents itself!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

The 2nd Sunken City 0-level Adventure, The Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk is now only a couple of weeks out! The response to Perils of the Sunken City has been great, and I'm excited about the follow up: I've tried to cram it full of memorable personalities and battles that will challenge your players to the limit!

As is the Sunken City tradition, the adventure will be stuffed full of freebies available from the Purple Sorcerer website including a new batch of paper miniatures, battlemaps, and pregens!

Here's a sneak peak of Slither's End (where the fun begins!):

Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

For all those who have requested a printed version of Perils of the Sunken City, it IS coming! What should be the final proof is on its way, so it should be a matter of days now. :)

On the plus side, things should be much speedier for future print versions! Here's the cover from the penultimate proof:

Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”