Marching order

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

clanche
Ill-Fated Peasant

Marching order

Post by clanche »

Simple and likely dumb questions but here it goes; In a 0 level adventure when you have 15+ characters how does a marching order work (by character or player)? When in the adventure starter it stats "the character in the lead takes x damage" will this be every players first character or just the one at the front of all 15. If individual marching order, isn't everyone just trying to stay in the rear and therefor alive?

Thanks for any input. We are going to try this tomorrow and are looking forward to it.

C
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Marching order

Post by TheNobleDrake »

The way my group handles this is by use of "ranks."

Each player lines up their character sheets in front of them in a column, the character in the "lead rank" is nearest the center of the table, and the character in the "rear rank" is nearest the player with all the other ranks (the "mid ranks", which are usually two or less in number) in between.

Within each of those ranks marching order is used when it is a necessity - such as a narrow passage, or entering a new room - but is mostly ignored.

I keep a list of each character's name, what rank they are in, and their luck score... and if something happens that will not affect everyone within a rank, I use luck scores to determine who is in trouble.

Basically, it's the unlucky guy that ends up standing in the wrong spot at the wrong time unless he "lucks out" and someone else decided to do it.
clanche
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by clanche »

So if there are 4 players and something bad happens to the lead character then one of there lead characters is in for it?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I believe 'stacking' the characters, center of table-to-player, with the center-most of each players' characters being the front rank, is Mr. Goodman's own method, as well. It works.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I roll randomly for each player then take the first guy from that player's stack.
giant
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by giant »

I actually have them work out a detailed march order and then work from there. Unless players note otherwise I assume as characters die the others fill up the ranks.

In regards to the Portal Under the Stars and the door, how I handle that is that it is the front row unless players specify for example that one character is opening the door and the rest hang back. In that case I would just have it hit the first character.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

clanche wrote:So if there are 4 players and something bad happens to the lead character then one of there lead characters is in for it?
To clear up what I was saying by using an example:

Behind my screen, I have a list of all the characters in order of descending luck score that looks something like this

Ganton Brandon 18
Tutothmus Richard 14

And so on down the list of all the characters still in the party.

Then, each player sets their character sheets in front of them in a column - the one nearest the center of the table is in the front rank, the next in the mid rank, and the last (nearest sheet to the player) in the rear rank.

When something happens, such as a trap being triggered by whoever is in the lead stepping on a pressure plate, I determine who is standing on that pressure plate by doing the following:
1. Ask which character from each player is in the appropriate rank (in this case, the front rank).
2. Find each mentioned character on the "luck list"
3. Tell the player of whichever character mentioned is lower on that list that the character has stepped on a pressure plate and resolve whatever effects that action will have.

Similarly, if there was an ambush from the rear of the party and a lizard-man through a spear at someone, I'd find out who in the rear rank had the lowest luck score and roll the attack against that character.

Edit: the only case in which I do not use the above procedure is when someone says "My character takes the lead," or a similar declaration of specific behavior independent of the party - then, it is that character "in trouble" from any relevant dangers regardless of their luck score - it's proving very helpful for the player that wants his hand-me-down Halfling to die so he can roll a different character.
clanche
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by clanche »

Perfect example and great ideas. Thank you Noble.

Return to “Rules discussion”