Gatherings

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Gatherings

Post by maded »

I'll basically be posting my questions, thoughts and maybe even an idea or two in this area on what I have been reading so far; I have received my mailing of the Etherscope books recently, and am absorbing...I'm sure more will be forthcoming, but here's an initial offering...

Why was point-buy selected as the main ability score generation method? I have always preferred rolling, myself, as at least you've a decent chance to get a high roll and perhaps not every other ability will have to suffer because of choosing one high ability score...well, at least the costs are different than in most other point-buy d20 games, it does have that going for it.

More later, at work right now and it's getting to the busier part of the day...
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Hi

Generally, we prefer point buy as it provides consistency and puts an inherant power balance between characters and into the system in general. The system we used is different from standard as we wanted a relatively broad number of stat possibilities to match the broad variety of character concepts Etherscope tends to support. Sorry took so long to get back to you but one of those times when everyone is caught up in stuff. Please don't hesitate to put in more comments or questions, hopefully get you some replies a bit quicker :)

Nigel
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

Malladin_Nigel wrote:Hi

Generally, we prefer point buy as it provides consistency and puts an inherant power balance between characters and into the system in general. The system we used is different from standard as we wanted a relatively broad number of stat possibilities to match the broad variety of character concepts Etherscope tends to support. Sorry took so long to get back to you but one of those times when everyone is caught up in stuff. Please don't hesitate to put in more comments or questions, hopefully get you some replies a bit quicker :)

Nigel
Hey, I've had a lot of crap coming down in my personal life so I haven't had much time to keep up with anything, but I'm still reading up...slowly but surely...
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Experience Requirements for New Levels

Post by maded »

I am just noticing something, and wondering if this is correct...the xp requirements for gaining levels seem extrememly low (i.e. 100 for 2nd level). The XP awards section also seems to have lowered award totals for various ELs as well.
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Hi

The numbers are indeed lower than other systems in both cases but the net effect of this is that advancement should occur at a similar rate to other games.
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

The errata answers a lot of my questions quite handily, thanks guys! Almost done reading up, and I am terribly impressed with the game ;)

Only one more set of questions I can think of right now, and they deal with Fey Scope familiars...

Where are the stats for them, am I just missing them? All I can see is a list of powers a Fey gains from them...are they just based on the regular animal stats?

Also, 30'? That seems really really really limited, and the results of breaching that distance seem very very very catastrophic to the character in question...
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

What errata? has there been one created for the game? where can I find it?

Jamat
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

There's a link to it at the top of the main page for this site. Try not to laugh too hard at some of our faux pas :lol:

Nigel
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

maded wrote:
Where are the stats for them, am I just missing them? All I can see is a list of powers a Fey gains from them...are they just based on the regular animal stats?
Okay, so their Scope stats are pretty much going to be the same for an animal in the Prime Reality, I am guessing, since it's based off the same principle as D&D more or less.
maded wrote:Also, 30'? That seems really really really limited, and the results of breaching that distance seem very very very catastrophic to the character in question...
Still seems pretty darned limited in utility, but after reading more on Mysteries of the Occult, I can see how their utility grows with the expansion of the fey's knowledge of their own nature, per the Fey Paragon.

So I have pretty much answered my own questions :)

Damn, I like this game...now I just need to hop the pond to find some players? Actually planning on it next year for vacation, so I'll have to see if anyone's hosting a game, and doesn't mind a five year old tagging along...

Return to “Etherscope”