I think I'm missing something.....

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I think I'm missing something.....

Post by jamat »

Hi all,

Just putting the finishing touches to the stats for a character (the background was posted here some weeks ago) and can't seem to work out how to give her the pepper box fighting technique.

Am I missing something?

By the way She is a Savant class character .

Jamat

P.S. picking up the occult book today.... can't wait.
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Fighting techniques are cross-class skills for anyone other than a combatant who has taken the fighting technique talent.

Generally speaking for a level 1 savant, you need to spend 4 skill points and you would get two ranks in the FT skill. You also need to make sure you have the prerequisite feats: Personal Firearms Proficiency and Quick Reload. This is where your problems arise.

Personal Firearms is easy. It has no prerequisites and is a bonus feat for a number of social templates, so you might be able to pick that up for free, so to speak.

Quick reload is a problem. You need a base attack bonus of +1 to get it, which a level 1 savant doesn't have.

I'd suggest two options in this circumstance:

1. wait til level 3 to get the FT - you can still fire your pepperbox at first level, and could be learning Black Pepper in the meantime. You could even pick up an extra gun feat to emphasise your skill. Get a second level of savant andthen at third level (when you get a bonus feat from your character level so you can take Quik Reload) take a level of combatant and choose the Fighting Technique talent and you can get up to 6 ranks in the FT straight away (provided you have enough skill points). This might not seem ideal, but I'm a firm believer in planning out your level progressions for D20 games.

2. Start off as a combatant and then develop your savant levels later. This is the method I chose when I had a similar dilema witha character, but I was thinking about having a lot of levels of Combatant anyway. If you prefer to be more Savant-y then option 1 is probably best. You take a BIG hit on your skills if you start as a combatant rather than a savant. This option lets you take both feats and the FT talent at first level, so you can get 4 ranks in the FT from the start.

Cheerio

Ben
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Thanks Ben I will do the first option you suggest as I want her to be a doctor type character more than a combat orientated person.

This character is the one outlined in the thread entitled "Character - Emily Burtryme" When I've finally finished her I will post her stats there.

By the way if you were posting a characters stats on this forum what format would you use i.e. how would you list them? perhaps some kind of standard could be created for the forum so anyone who wants to post their characters can just fill in the gaps. a sort of on line character sheet.

Jamat

Return to “Etherscope”