I expected these boards to be busier.

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

I expected these boards to be busier.

Post by Treebore »

I normally hang out on the Necromancer, ENWorld, Dragonsfoot, and Castles and Crusades messageboards.

DCC 35 has me very interested so I came over here to see what is going on.

Surprisingly low volume of traffic given my perception of the DCC lines popularity.

So is the activity here an unusual slump?

Or are most buyers/fans of the DCC's like me and not frequented these boards despite my liking the DCC's?
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I don't know.

I think most of the members are more of a lurker on these boards. Just look at the number of hits on some of the threads. My thread concerning my attempt at DCC #17 with Castles & Crusades has thousands of looks, but very few have made any comments.

Necro has always had lots of traffic as you know.

I think Troll Lord's boards were very dead prior to the advent of C&C. Now they are alive with thought.

Beyond that, I don't know why 900+ members post very little.

I don't even have 200 posts and I'm in the top 10 posters.
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

I usually check the boards here daily but don't feel the need to chime in much. No reason, really.
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Part of my agreement with Joe and Goodman Games is that I would lose the "superfan" moniker if I did not post daily. What can I say? I don't want to lose the title. Can't have some young whipersnapper taking what is rightfully mine!!!!. :P

Ben "supefan aka Prester Ungart" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Ya, Superfan. It really wouldn't do for a fan of your "nature" or stature to have a title like the one you've granted me! Lord of the Tacos! LOL

Nevertheless, I've been "tacojohn" since, oh, 1982. And I still am.

tacojohn4547
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Lurking

Post by waltero »

I admit to lurking daily but rarely posting. Until I can get that DCC35 in my hot little hands, I haven't got much to add.

The original poster has a point though. In fact I bet some of those lonely Russian ladies are among our top posters!
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

It is not the size of the volume...

Post by gargoyle »

I was suprised at the lower volume too...

BUT I was shocked at the quality of response...

If you post a question here about a goodman product you will likely get a response from more than one person who worked on it (author, edits, artist etc.) - even Joseph himself does a great job of responding to people.

Also this is a pretty polite place - no flame wars, controversial topics or other rudeness that typically gets the volume up. I can tell you having worked with Harley and Joseph that they set a positive, enthusiastic tone and it pervades the board somehow...

I have been trying to get my status upgraded from "friend of a friend of a jr. velociraptor" for months but often find myself just reading the threads...
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

I actually like the volume of posts; easy to keep up with, LOL
- Joseph Frenia
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

^ Agreed!

Too much traffic on a board is a pain to keep tabs on. I like that there's a steady trickle of info and commentary on the board, and that even so there are always new people chiming in with questions or suggestions.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

You guys are right.

I hadn't thought about it much but this board is the most polite I visit. Not a cuss word or crude language to be seen (except Off Topic bots). I will check these boards with my 3-year old on my lap while I wait until he's not around before checking the other forums.
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Which I agree is very nice, I think it's because anyone on here wants to be here. Mostly gamers who enjoy Goodman Games and russian women looking for men! :lol:
- Joseph Frenia
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

The Necromancer boards are prety friendly. A few years ago there were some hot heads (I was one of them) who would spout off every time there was even ahint of a gauntlet being thrown down. Since then the hot heads have either cooled off or quit coming to the boards. Most cooled off.

Some times I confess to missing those arguments. :oops: Hey! Arguments can be fun! As long as no one takes it, or makes it, personal!
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

I agree with the above posts, the boards here are rather slow compared to some others, but there is very little off-topic talk here and the posts are normally very helpful. A really nice place to visit. :D
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I spend a lot more time reading Goodman Games material than posting on the boards. Getting and keeping an active board is tough. It requires advertising and a lot of work on answering questions and often hiring people to do that and start topics. I contribute in my own way, running Destiny of Steam and Steel but like many I'm busy and don't post here more often than once a week - but here's my weekly post.

Mark Charke
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I mostly don't visit these boards, and when I do I skim for specific things. I did tonight because I am pheneing for The Known World. Curse me for not having someone at Gencon pick me up one!!!

Return to “Goodman Games General”