Deed Dice Bonus - does d10+2 always succeed?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dstack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Deed Dice Bonus - does d10+2 always succeed?

Post by dstack »

At high levels a warrior's deed die increases to include a bonus. For example at 8th level a warrior gets d10+2 for his deed die. Does this mean that for difficulty 3 might deeds an 8th level warrior is guaranteed to succeed, given he will get at least a 3 for his might deed roll (assuming a hit)? Or should only the die roll be considered without the bonus when determining if a mighty deed succeeds?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Deed Dice Bonus - does d10+2 always succeed?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

dstack wrote:At high levels a warrior's deed die increases to include a bonus. For example at 8th level a warrior gets d10+2 for his deed die. Does this mean that for difficulty 3 might deeds an 8th level warrior is guaranteed to succeed, given he will get at least a 3 for his might deed roll (assuming a hit)? Or should only the die roll be considered without the bonus when determining if a mighty deed succeeds?
By my reading, if he hits, he succeeds. However, higher values have better effects.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I fully believe the intent is for high-level warriors and dwarves to succeed at any deed during a successful attack - after all, an 8th level character is 1 in 1,000,000, and should be supremely competent because of it.

Think of it this way: That warrior, or dwarf, is so good at what he does that when he aims for your face (blinding) you either get hit in the face or get out of the way. Same if he goes for your legs (trip), you either jump the swing or take a blow to the legs.

There is no more margin of "I went for the eyes, but didn't anticipate his weapon arm crossing the path of my strike," type failures for deed attempts, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

I'd rule it differently. It'd say that you get the static bonus to hit and damage, but the deed still goes off only on a "natural" 3+. It seems to me that the intent of the static bonus is to prevent high level warriors from getting potentially Worse attack rolls than oth classes of similar level, by continuing to increase the deed die along the die chain and risking a one, rather than auto success on deeds.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

shadewest wrote:I'd rule it differently. It'd say that you get the static bonus to hit and damage, but the deed still goes off only on a "natural" 3+.
This. The natural die roll is the determiner, sans modifiers.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I guess I should have made that more clear - as Harley and Steven noted, the deed die determines success on a "pure" result of 3+ with no modifiers (kind of like a "natural" 1 for a fumble or a "natural" 20 for a crit, you need a "natural" 3+ for the Mighty Deed). The additional bonus for the warrior at high levels is like a "normal" D&D bonus to attack (i.e., what the other classes have) in addition to the deed die.

At one point I had a draft of the higher-level warriors where they were rolling ever-higher deed dice instead of getting that fixed bonus. It was just too powerful, and it undermined the point of rolling the deed die. I mean, if you're trying to get 3+ on a d16 or d20 or d24, what's the point of rolling the die? It will happen so often it might as well be automatic. With the rules as written, the higher-level warriors still have a very good chance of succeeding on every Mighty Deed, and there's a small chance they may not pull off each stunt -- though with the fixed modifier they'll still get a good attack roll and probably still cause some good damage.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “Rules discussion”