Our Session

This forum is for finding other players, announcing games, sharing actual game play reports, organizing online games, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Our Session

Post by Thane »

Well, we played the DCC Beta rules the other night, and long story short, we had a lot of fun.

There were 3 players, each with 5 characters. In the end, not even half way through the adventure, one of us had lost all his characters, I had 3 left, and the other player had 3 left as well.

We woke up in a dungeon cell, sans equipment, and old school kicked in immediately. How do you get out of a 10'x10' cell with no equipment? Well, we didn't. We spent about 30 minutes trying this and that, only for a friendly warrior type to give his life killing the goblins outside, only to expire just after unlocking one of our cells.

What was interesting was the way we had to rely on our wits and not skills to try and figure a way out. For example, one of my characters was a cooper by occupation, and so he was familiar with iron bands reinforcing the door, because iron bands reinforced the barrells he was making. So it was, he found a weak spot in one of the bands, and started bashing it with a stone he found. There were other ingenious methods used, but to no avail.

So we got out of the cells, and before long, we were faced with goblins and wolves. We lost a few pcs, but eventually got through. Then, shortly after, we walked into a minotaur (got to love old school!) It was then, once I'd managed to hit, that I rolled a measely 3 damage, that I realised I was a halfling gypsy, with Luck 14. Time to burn some on the damage! I spent 13, and did 16 damage from my sling, enough to fell the beast with one strike. David and Goliath right there!

The rest of the session was about mapping and running away, but we enjoyed. We all felt like we were little people thrust into some epic struggle, and this helped create an atmosphere of over the top violence akin to the keystone cops! It was truly bizarre, and quite a unique roleplaying experience. Not bad for some of us who have been involved in our hobby for 30+ years!

There's not much to report about actual game mechanics. It's d&d, we've all played it, and the rules disappeared into the background to let us tell a good story. So sorry there's not much to report in the way of game rules, but I wanted to share - and suffice to say we enjoyed, and laughed hard! And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about - fun not rules.

I got the impression that this was just the tip of the iceberg, and that there's a lot more to do in the game (obvious as we're only 0 level). And whilst it was fun, I was looking forward to the more serious/weird/vibe that DCC can bring at higher levels.

We're all looking forward to the next session.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Our Session

Post by toadlike »

This sounds like an amazing session, Thane! Please keep us informed! :)
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Sounds like a great session, Thane! I'm eager to hear how things go once you all level.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

It was so refreshing to go back to old school combat again.

There was a scene in the corridor, when one of my characters attacked the goblin leader. Without once looking at my sheet for skills/feats, I narrated how my farmer (corn that is), leaped over one of his falling comrades, and clutching his pitch fork in both hands, screamed wide eyed as he plunged the farming implement toward the goblin leader.

The fact that he hit and killed the goblin was a nice bonus but it wouldn't have mattered if he'd failed. Less rules, more colourful descriptive actions make for one cool game. Ok the GM did have me make an Agility roll to clear the fallen comrade. But still...

Priceless! :mrgreen:

Would the above move have been covered under a mighy deed? If so, could a non warrior type class have attempted it, say, our resident Shaman player character?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Cool beans Thane!

I am looking forward to running this game. Your game sounded great. I love seeing Halflings triumph :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Thane wrote:It was so refreshing to go back to old school combat again.

There was a scene in the corridor, when one of my characters attacked the goblin leader. Without once looking at my sheet for skills/feats, I narrated how my farmer (corn that is), leaped over one of his falling comrades, and clutching his pitch fork in both hands, screamed wide eyed as he plunged the farming implement toward the goblin leader.

The fact that he hit and killed the goblin was a nice bonus but it wouldn't have mattered if he'd failed. Less rules, more colourful descriptive actions make for one cool game. Ok the GM did have me make an Agility roll to clear the fallen comrade. But still...

Priceless! :mrgreen:

Would the above move have been covered under a mighy deed? If so, could a non warrior type class have attempted it, say, our resident Shaman player character?
I let my thief player try something similar last night, over a live wolf, so I probably asked for a higher DC than you needed. I would have looked for a deed only if a warrior tried to do the leap as part of the attack action, not as the move action. Even then I let zero levels run pretty loose.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's a great game summary. The fact that the rules "disappeared into the background" and the game flowed naturally is a great compliment. In my mind that is what gaming should be about -- entertainment and fun, rules that are intuitive and easy to remember. Sounds like a memorable session for all the right reasons.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Thane wrote:Would the above move have been covered under a mighy deed? If so, could a non warrior type class have attempted it, say, our resident Shaman player character?
I think you all handled it perfectly.

To wit: The same combat could have been played out that your PC simply made a 5' step through rough terrain (fallen comrades) and made an attack.

Boring.

... But by your ROLEplaying you made it ten kinds of awesome. The judge made the perfect call by adding some risk to the venture and it paid off!

Well done, sir!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

goodmangames wrote:That's a great game summary. The fact that the rules "disappeared into the background" and the game flowed naturally is a great compliment. In my mind that is what gaming should be about -- entertainment and fun, rules that are intuitive and easy to remember. Sounds like a memorable session for all the right reasons.
It was, very memorable

Especially as my Halfling Gypsy, 'Borridge Thistlethumb' killed two of his comrades via sling/missile fire :mrgreen: And he's got a Hex Doll! :lol:

Those corridors...so narrow!
Last edited by Thane on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Thane wrote:Would the above move have been covered under a mighy deed? If so, could a non warrior type class have attempted it, say, our resident Shaman player character?
I think you all handled it perfectly.

To wit: The same combat could have been played out that your PC simply made a 5' step through rough terrain (fallen comrades) and made an attack.

Boring.

... But by your ROLEplaying you made it ten kinds of awesome. The judge made the perfect call by adding some risk to the venture and it paid off!

Well done, sir!

//H
I agree, and there was no knitted brows, page flipping, etc. It came naturally to us all

Return to “DCC RPG Community”