Gencon reports?

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Gencon reports?

Post by malladin_ben »

So, people are starting to get back from Gencon. As I was unable to make it, Iwas wondering how the games I was going to run went. Did anyone play in those games? f so, I'd appreciate comments - particualrly for Cinnamon Rose (if it went ahead) as we're of a mind to get this in a book soemwhere down the line if it's good enough.

Ben
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Just a Delivery

Post by Charke »

I ran Just a Delivery four times at the 'Con. It went very well. The first game was a little slow with only two players but I squeezed in 7 players during the second game. The third game I was late too (darned stomach) and only two people played but the third game saw a solid 5 people. One player came over from another Etherscope game which was canceled in the same room.

The solutions to the problem were all dealt with differently. Each group took the package to different people. Each group went "out of bounds" in a different direction. I brought all the playtest characters, even William Masterson who does not appear in the final product and since he's a little overpowered it made the game fairly easy. While I did see the player roll up William Masterson I should have toned down his stats for the final product so cutting him was a good choice.

Norma turned into an invaluable character possessing all the required drugs and illegal contacts but she served as the servant of the upper class characters.

During game play I very much abused the British accent which I love and I reinforced each player's rank. Jeeves wouldn't open the door for lower class characters for example - until upper class characters insisted.

One player finally became paranoid about Jeeves. Jeeves can't navigate from A to B successfully, but managed to get the rolls royce out of a jam where a truck pulled in behind and a moving van stopped in front of them (part of the Grey Death attack). The player pointed a gun at the back of Jeeve's head and demanded to know who he really was. It all sort of worked out and they decided to trust him.

One player took a right turn into the twilight zone and started "killing witnesses" executioner style. I paused the game for a full minute just blinking and wondering if there was about to be an explosion at the gaming table. The group then kidnapped a code-breaker to decipher the package and nabbed the bellhop who saw them do the kidnapping!!!! The players had to flee the country by the end of the game.

Edison Greywall survived one game. The players saved him but really did not care that he had survived because he was lower class and simply moved on.

Getting into the scope was really neat. By this point everyone was trying on a good British accent and everyone in Walkers was american. Suddenly I was the only one speaking without an accent. Walker's Pub also took a page from Chronomancer. I decided Walker knew about the other players who had played the game. This confused the players greatly when Walker asked "What good excuse are you going to give me to look behind this mirror - the last two groups were really good." It took a while before the players figured this out.

Jeeves never got killed. Only one person went to see Burk and insulted Burk. The player (David Schwatz btw) playing Normin (Norma) had the fun of crawling, after being thrown down a flight of stairs, back to the car where Jeeves would not open the door for him.

Jeeves was pivotol in moving the game forward. A couple of honks on the horn was often enough to give the players the hint to keep going. It worked very well.

Ironically no players got killed either. A lot of thugs died though. The Grey Death lasted about 1-2 rounds in each game. They were funny because I tried to make them seem all "bad attitude" and they died so fast. In one game, a player stood up out of the sun roof to fire on the Grey Death and lost the initiative. (Shooka, Shooka 1,2,4,6). The Grey Death should have blown away the player but missed every single time!!!! One grenade later and some good shots and the Grey Death lost the grey in their title.

Two groups of players got the package to Domingo. One left it with a hastily created reporter by the name of, um, Clark Kent who worked for the Daily Great Metropolis. I can't seem to remember where the last package went - probably to Domingo as well. There was much talk about getting the package to Royalty or the Military.

Mark Charke
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Delivered

Post by Charke »

Completing Just A Delivery I handed out a "Delivered" paper award I made up for the 'Con. Joseph Goodman also handed me out copies of the game and his product list to everyone. I ended every game with a review of the game and then told everyone I could get the writer to sign their copies... ...and then I signed them.

Below is a link to my Gen Con 2006 photos on my website. I didn't take a lot of pictures. I never got my camera out during the games - I sort of wanted to save the shots for oh... slave leia and Master Chief and such. Kevin Sorbo had a sign asking people not to take pictures of him so I respected that but I should have gotten Salvatorie!

http://www.charke.ca/Gen%20Con%202006/m ... rience.htm

Mark Charke
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

BTW I've been trying to get ahold of you via E-mail and I've gotten a mailer demon - do you have a new address or is the one on http://www.malladinsgate.com/ correct?

Mark Charke
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

I ran "Triple Cross" from The Great Metropolis on Friday morning, and that went over really well. The players had a lot of fun, even though two of the PCs came close to death. (They posed as drug dealers, and only a great Bluff check kept them from being disemboweled by the cult of the Mass Heresy.) Darn!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel

Return to “Etherscope”