A question on the character sheets . . .

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

A question on the character sheets . . .

Post by Sword Guy »

Picked up my copy of Etherscope recently (real hard to find round here) and tried creating a character to get a feel for how the system works. While I managed to struggle through most of it, I did have one problem: The character sheets distributed both with the book and online seem to have a typo.

Where they summarize attack bonuses for melee, ranged, and grapple, there is a column listed as "BASE ATK" that has Str and Dex listed for the appropriate attacks. Then, one column over, it has blank spaces under a column called "ABILITY SCORE." It took me a few minutes to work out that this was an error, rather than me supposed to be adding my ability score to the attack roll. Or perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way, great book. Now, if I could only find a group to play with that actually likes good settings . . .
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Where is

"....around here..." for you?

Jamat
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Around here is Portland, OR, USA. I checked Borders, Powell's (a really huge local bookstore), one of the better gaming stores around here, and finally grabbed the core book from a Barnes & Noble. It took me a while, but I got Etherscope, and was up until about 2:30 local time creating a character.

Main problem is that I've only played in a few gaming groups, but none of them has ever found ideas like DragonMech or Etherscope to be exciting. My main group would never have a campaign that lasted longer than about three weeks (except for mine) because most of the group disliked DMing and got bored with running a game. I DMed the longest game I've ever seen, at four months, and that was with two PCs (which didn't really work . . .). But when I suggested DragonMech, almost everyone would reject it, and then I didn't have enough PCs to run a full game.

I'm moving to southern Vermont soon. With any luck, I'll walk into the area and be able to grab five or six people who'd be willing to play a three-year campaign. Whether its DragonMech or Etherscope will be their choice.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

I know what you mean finding good gruops can be difficult.

When I lived with my parents I had a Champions campaign that lasted 5 years the advantage was four of the 6 players were also good GMs (all with different styles) and we took it in turns to run the game.

Then in University I found a small group who did nothing but World of Darkness Werewolf, I played for a while then suggested I run a game I nearly got lynched for suggested a non White Wolf system so I left.

Now I'm settled in London and gamed for 3 years with a group that got together due to their love of the Mutant & Masterminds system. They're a good bunch of guys and relaxed about what they play. We've done M&M, Fudge fantasy, Pulp fiction, and Brave New World. I've been away from the group for the past 2 years (since my daughter was born) but now will be going back in October, have suggested Etherscope and all seem interested so am setting up a few adventures for them.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Other Sheets

Post by tadk »

Anyone made a home made sheet

thinking of a simple Excel one
Easiest for me to make it look decent

any suggestions...and no it wont be fancy just my own....
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Other Sheets

Post by maded »

tadk wrote:Anyone made a home made sheet

thinking of a simple Excel one
Easiest for me to make it look decent

any suggestions...and no it wont be fancy just my own....
I am in the process of doing so, will be a PDF though, I don't enjoy Excel that much. I've made sheets for other games before, and they are based off of a pattern that I use from a Word .doc I created. They are usually 4 pagers since I hate cramped spaces to write in myself. I can submit it to the guys at Goodman to post as a resource when I am done if they would like, or to RPGSheets or whatever.

Well, if you guys want to see what some of my sheets look like, I have written some stuff for Morrigan Press and designed character sheets for the Omni System as well; most of my finished stuff is posted in the Talislanta, Atlantis and Omni System Yahoo! groups. I wouldn't take the sheets posted up on the Morrigan website as proof of the pudding though, as they were mostly stuff that was finished by the company itself rather than myself...not saying they aren't good, but they weren't finished by me completely, either.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Character Sheet

Post by tadk »

Hey there

I would love to see it personally
It will be a good month before I get to doing mine

I am also doing a pdf nesletter like thing I was going to put my own in, got to get content somehow, would you like to have yours in there. Total distro to people should be a whopping 5 to 10 people which would include you.
Most of the other content is all horror related. If I get mine done before hand we would have 2 different sheets in there.

Either way I would love to check out your version.

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Character Sheet

Post by maded »

tadk wrote:Hey there

I would love to see it personally
It will be a good month before I get to doing mine

I am also doing a pdf nesletter like thing I was going to put my own in, got to get content somehow, would you like to have yours in there. Total distro to people should be a whopping 5 to 10 people which would include you.
Most of the other content is all horror related. If I get mine done before hand we would have 2 different sheets in there.

Either way I would love to check out your version.

Tad
Sure, you can put it in there. I have unreliable access to a comp capable of doing any work on right now, so it's slow going, but I've the first page done, and can send you a copy sometime as a sampling. PM me your email on that...

As for materials for a newsletter, I might get something to you on that as well. Still absorbing a lot on the game right now, and that unreliable computer access can't be shaken yet...I'll make a post of what I think so far in another thread...
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

OK, I have my sheet done; anyone interested can PM me; I'd offer it up to Goodman Games also if anyone there is interested as well, just tell me where to send it!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'd be happy to host it on the Free Materials page. Drop me a line on the address below.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

Will do, thanks!
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I have my own copy

Post by tadk »

I have my own copy and it rocks.
Time to get off my own backside and finish the (not near as good of an idea) for a character sheet. My focus is different than maded but his is awesome. Go check it out guys.

Tad

Return to “Etherscope”