Gaining spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Gaining spells

Post by henis »

Didn't know whether to put this under the judges forum or here, but it involves spells, so here I go.

I understand about a DC 10+ spell level to learn the spell, but are tables 7-1 through 7-3 used to determine WHERE and HOW other spells can be obtained, like quests for spells and knowledge, or are they used to determine where the Wizard can obtain the spells that have been randomly determined for that level?

In other words, whenever the Wizard gains a level and the GM randomly picks the spells, does the GM roll on tables 7-1 through 7-3 to give tell the Wizard where he can find these spells that he had found out about?
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Gaining spells

Post by caveman »

I saw that too. Its a little confusing. I dig it, but it could easily lead to the whole campaign being quests to find spells, which could be fun. Anyways, JG backtracks a bit and says the table might be best used for "fountains of knowledge" so I'd use it judiciously.
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

OK, cool, thanks, I dig it.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, exactly, that table is meant to be used for inspiration -- not a requirement. A lot of Appendix N revolves around quests for magical knowledge. For example, the wizards of Vance (who was a large influence on D&D magic) only ever knew a handful of spells -- and were always double-crossing each other and going to great lengths to learn more (quests, research, experimentation, outright theft). That inspirational material is the idea behind those tables. But if it suits your campaign, feel free to "shortcut" however is best for you.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Hello Folks!
I was under the impression that most mages either got thier spells through adventuring, (beg, borrow, steal, or kill from other mages.) Or, they maintain contact with thier chosen patron to give them further access to more spells.
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

When you kill a wizard and loot his spellbook (assuming it is not trapped in anyways), not only are you ridding the world of a wizard with all of his or her knowledge but those spells are given to another wizard and not a new one. Does this make magic rare enough? I don't mind sending my wizard on a quest but what hoops do most of you DMs make your players jump for new spells. SYKOJAK I advise you to stay quiet on this one seeing as you are our party's wizard and I the DM. :twisted:
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Ohhh Great! DM censure from my own DM! Just what I need now!..... LMAO!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I am more giving you your miranda rights,that anything you say can be used against you, than silencing you! :mrgreen:
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

So what you are saying is I am going to Jail and you are throwing away the key then?
:o
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Karaptis wrote:When you kill a wizard and loot his spellbook (assuming it is not trapped in anyways), not only are you ridding the world of a wizard with all of his or her knowledge but those spells are given to another wizard and not a new one. Does this make magic rare enough? I don't mind sending my wizard on a quest but what hoops do most of you DMs make your players jump for new spells.
I use all the methods -- killing a wizard for his spell book, scrolls (looted, begged, borrowed, or stolen), and pure luck. But, I also assume that just because you kill a wizard and take his spellbook doesn't mean that you make a simple roll when you're back in town (or resting in the dungeon) to add the spell to your "learned" list. That roll, for my game, is the _potential_ to learn the spell. That just means your wizard has studied the spell and understands the methods and materials. Actually knowing how to perform those methods and possessing those materials is where the real hoops kick in. I'm fully embracing the "every spell is different from every other spell" concept.

And on the wizard's quest for magical power: This is what I love about the game -- Clerics and Wizards become the real drivers of adventurers and adventures. Thieves would rather stay in town (where the MONEY is!) and Fighters like to hang around the barracks and town (where the ALE and PROSTITUTES are). Wizards and Clerics have a built-in reason for researching, organizing and even funding expeditions with those other "shiftless classes" as servants and hirelings...or rather "partners." Wizards to empower themselves and Clerics to empower their god (and thus themselves). It's an elegant solution to an age-old RPG problem... love it.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Correct, the wizard has the spell for him or her to attempt to learn now or whenever ( unless some punk wizard and his buddies break in and kill him for it).
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

[/quote]And on the wizard's quest for magical power: This is what I love about the game -- Clerics and Wizards become the real drivers of adventurers and adventures. Thieves would rather stay in town (where the MONEY is!) and Fighters like to hang around the barracks and town (where the ALE and PROSTITUTES are). Wizards and Clerics have a built-in reason for researching, organizing and even funding expeditions with those other "shiftless classes" as servants and hirelings...or rather "partners." Wizards to empower themselves and Clerics to empower their god (and thus themselves). It's an elegant solution to an age-old RPG problem... love it.[/quote]

I simply love that explanation there! That is the real heart of Dungeon Crawling. The Thief being a Specialized Hireling/scout. The Warriors/Dwarves being hired muscle to provide cannon fodder. But the real drivers of adventure are either the Cleric or Wizard. That being dependant on whether it's a hunt for the Arcane or the Godly nature. Amen and Hallejuyah, speak the gospel brother!

Return to “Magic and Spells”