DCC Wish list: Jeff Dee

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

DCC Wish list: Jeff Dee

Post by Harley Stroh »

Remember Jeff Dee? I think he does mostly superhero stuff now, but his pen and ink work was some of my favorite art from the early days of TSR.

Think ...
Man, that guy rocks.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LVSUBARU »

Some of thoses pic's bring back some memories! I loved the art in the AD&D PHB.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Oh, yeah! I love Jeff's work. I've been trying to recruit him for the DCC's for over a year, to no avail. He told me he's done with game art. Hopefully he'll change his mind one of these days.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I was flipping through the old Expert book last night and came across a couple more wish listers:

Bill Willingham (Slave Lords series) &

D.A. Trampier (think Emirikol the Chaotic!)

http://www.fierydragon.com/Pix/DBPix/03_tn.jpg

I wasn't able to find on line galleries, but it looks like Willingham is still kicking around doing superhero work. These guys are masters of pen and ink. Wow.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I contacted Willingham. He is unfortunately under exclusive license to DC Comics and unavailable for any other work.

The story behind Trampier is a legend... apparently he simply vanished one day and was never seen again. No one in the RPG industry has seen or heard from him (that I know of) for at least a decade. Some say he's a taxi driver in Milwaukee, but no one seems to know for sure. That's why I always ride taxis when I'm in Milwaukee...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Jeff Dee...I remember his stuff from the old Villains & Vigilantes game!

Bill Willingham is currently doing <i>Fables</i> for DC, and it's an excellent comic you should all read. :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:The story behind Trampier is a legend... apparently he simply vanished one day and was never seen again. No one in the RPG industry has seen or heard from him (that I know of) for at least a decade. Some say he's a taxi driver in Milwaukee, but no one seems to know for sure.
Wow. That is a damn cool story.
That's why I always ride taxis when I'm in Milwaukee....
*laugh* And that makes it even cooler. I love it.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

AND ....

You got him for The Volcano Caves!

Wow! Amazing.

Really. That's just so damn cool.

mike wilson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by mike wilson »

I love the 1st and 2nd ed. artists! Its funny though, they pretty much vanished off the face of the earth until recently. I wonder if its just game nostalgia? Thank God for the internet!
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Harley Stroh wrote:
goodmangames wrote:The story behind Trampier is a legend... apparently he simply vanished one day and was never seen again. No one in the RPG industry has seen or heard from him (that I know of) for at least a decade. Some say he's a taxi driver in Milwaukee, but no one seems to know for sure.
Wow. That is a damn cool story.
That's why I always ride taxis when I'm in Milwaukee....
*laugh* And that makes it even cooler. I love it.
from the wikipedia:
...best known as the creator of the "Wormy" comic strip that ran in The Dragon Magazine... The comic suddenly stopped appearing after issue #132, in the middle of a storyline.

A few issues later there was a brief note from the editors stating that "Wormy" would never be appearing again. No explanation was given. Artist and writer Trampier pretty much vanished and has never been reliably heard from since. In a casual conversation with fellow Dragon artist Phil Foglio at the 2000 Origins Game Convention, Mr. Foglio stated that at some point the "Wormy" strips just stopped coming into Dragon magazine and all checks mailed to Trampier were returned as undeliverable. Inquiries by TSR at his residence showed that he had moved with no forwarding address.

Rumours that he had died were denied by Tom Wham, who was for a while Trampier's brother-in-law. Wham stated in the 1990s that he had actually had some contact with Tramp and that he was fine. He gave no further details. A February 15, 2002, article in the Daily Egyptian newspaper in southern Illinois featured a taxi-driving David Trampier in Carbondale, including a photograph. Gary Gygax and other TSR staff of the time confirm it is the same David Trampier who drew Wormy.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Funny you should bring this up again. Trampier has been found. I can't say by whom. But he refuses to do fantasy illustration anymore. So he's effectively still lost.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

goodmangames wrote:Trampier has been found. I can't say by whom. But he refuses to do fantasy illustration anymore. So he's effectively still lost.
Twice the tragedy! :( I wish he knew just how many fans he has.
DAT was my all-time favorite old-school artist; I'll never forget his MM illustrations. Happily, the good Mr. Otis and Mr. Dee still treat GG readers to their work!
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest

Return to “All things A-R-T related”