Another reason to love this game

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Another reason to love this game

Post by Thane »

Wow...this may be blatantly obvious to you all, but I just found this out.

Check the pic below, it's from either the ad&d phb or the dmg. Three roguish characters enjoying the spoils of battle.

Now check out the pic below from page 6 of the DCC Beat rules. It's the same adventurers.

And that is a pure stroke of genius for me :D

Love this game.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Another reason to love this game

Post by Harley Stroh »

There are a few tributes like this, some even done by the original artists.

Happy hunting!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Nice spot!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Hahha, man. Stefan Poag is so bad a$$, he really gets the aesthetics to this game. His pic on Spellburn cracks me up every time (pg. 93 in the Beta.)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Brilliant!
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Nice catch on the art similarities. I keep finding some but I'm sure I'm missing others.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
James Maliszewski
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by James Maliszewski »

reverenddak wrote:Hahha, man. Stefan Poag is so bad a$$, he really gets the aesthetics to this game.
Stefan is a terrific artist and a very good fit for DCC RPG. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he's done for the full version of the game.
James Maliszewski,
Grognardia: Musings and Memories from a Lifetime of Gaming
Thousand Suns: Imperial Science Fiction Roleplaying
stefan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stefan »

Thanks for the kind compliments, guys. Looking at the art in the Beta, I think the artists had a lot of fun with this one (I know I did!). The DAT 'Treasure' drawing has always been a favorite and was one of the drawings that always made me want to be an artist when I saw it as a kid. And I think there is kind of a 'tradition' (if we can use that word) of sneaking little easter eggs into the art of D&D and it's spinoffs... I remember looking at the Monster Manual as a kid and finding the teensy weensy Tom Wham critter in DAT's illustration of the Rakasha (sp?)... or the drawing of the kitchen scene in 'Steading of the Hill Giants' that had what looked to me like the 'Hey Koolaid' guy in the background (a pitcher on the shelf has a smiling face on it) and similar stuff.
As far as credit for the guy stabbing his own hand goes, that idea was Goodman's. When I sent him the sketch, the spellcaster was just twiddling his fingers in a psuedo magical manner or something, then Goodman wrote me back to say that the spellcaster should be doing something to sacrifice something like hair or blood or a body part to summon the demon, which is how he ended up stabbing his own hand. I wonder how many spellcasters show up in the emergency room in DCC-land with daggers stuck in their hands or gouged out eyes or missing fingers at midnight and the nurse greets them with, "So what prince of the underworld were you trying to summon when the injury occurred?"
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Stefan, I notice the drawings you have on offer at your Etsy store (http://www.etsy.com/shop/stefanpoag) have gone down (good for you as you must be selling them). I wonder if there will be any new ones going for sale soon? As a happy customer, I'd be very interested in what might be upcoming.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

stefan wrote:the drawing of the kitchen scene in 'Steading of the Hill Giants' that had what looked to me like the 'Hey Koolaid' guy in the background (a pitcher on the shelf has a smiling face on it)...
Heh. I never noticed that before.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
BGilkison
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Yottaquest

Post by BGilkison »

Sorry for the thread necromancy; I came looking to see if anyone had spotted this one...

One of the illustrations in DCC I love is that of "Lokerimon the Lawful" on page 63; I think most of us know by now that it is an homage to Dave Trampier's "Emirikol the Chaotic" on page 193 of the 1e AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide. Now, look a little closer at the sign hanging over the door of the inn that Lokerimon is stepping out of—the "Smoking Wyrm". Hmm... That dragon looks a bit familiar—it's WORMY!!! So this ends up being a double-homage to Trampier! :o
JasinSwift
Gongfarmer
FLGS: spam removed

Post by JasinSwift »

Hey.Just got the PDF of "Journey to the Center of Aereth" and "The Lost City of Barako." So far the adventures and story material are awesome. The potential open-ended stuff going on in depths of the earth touched on by this stuff is great. I'm going to somehow fit this in with the Shudder Mountains campaign I'll be DM'ing this Summer. Great job and superb writing! :P
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Lairs of Lost Agharta gives you more stuff for the Center of Aereth.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”