Corruption

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Corruption

Post by fjw70 »

I didn't like the weird mutation stuff from the beta rules on corruption. A new sword & sorcery D&D variant was just released that handles the negative effects of magic in a different way.

You start with a sanity score equal to wisdom (I.e. DCC could use personality) then when you cast a spell it reduces your sanity if you fail a save (the loss is twice the spell level). You then recover sanity 1 point per day of rest. Rolling a one on the save reduces your wisdom by 1.

I was thinking about using something like this to control spell casting instead of corruption.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Corruption

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you're only going by the Beta rules, you really need to know that corruption has been greatly toned down in the published book.

It's been mentioned several times around here in various threads...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

GnomeBoy wrote:If you're only going by the Beta rules, you really need to know that corruption has been greatly toned down in the published book.

It's been mentioned several times around here in various threads...
I have heard that but the playtesrs are saying that the final rules are virtually identical to the beta rules. :)

The sample spell posted recently did have blackened hands as a corruption. I prefer insanity for the wizard over mutation.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I LOVE the way corruption works in DCC. Having magic dangerous and unpredictable is one of my favorite things about spells in DCC. We had a wizard who misfired a few times and had a few corruptions including losing all his hair and his skin changing into an ashy white, he's dead now though, RIP... Our new wizard has swirling smoke for eyes and a rainbow sheen, his nick-name is Twilight. Funny stuff. I'll admit our game is a bit more gonzo, but it very much feels like a Jack Vance Dying Earth saga.

There are 3 tables for corruption, Minor, Major & Greater. And one generic Misfire, but most spells include their own spell appropriate misfire table, which is awesome. The Beta rules contained about 35 or so spells. The Final rules contain about 130 (rough estimate.)

You could easily create your own Minor, Major & Greater corruption tables to fit your campaign or vision. And I hope you do. And if you do, please share it (it'd publish it in my zine if it was good!) It'd be interesting and it sounds like it'd fit the Transylvanian Adventures setting, or a more HP Lovecraft or Conan setting.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

Spell misfires mutate in Dying Earth? I haven't read those books? But yes I was going more for a Conan theme.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

fjw70 wrote:Spell misfires mutate in Dying Earth? I haven't read those books? But yes I was going more for a Conan theme.
Wizards are crazy, corrupted, greedy and selfish. But yeah, pretty much.

Come up with your own corruptions, minor, major and greater, that deal with sanity and other mental degradation, and replace the official ones with them and you're all set.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

fjw70 wrote:I have heard that but the playtesrs are saying that the final rules are virtually identical to the beta rules.
Well ... they are essentially the same from a global "big picture" perspective. The main philosophy and major mechanics really haven't changed much. That's not to say that individual rules systems haven't been tweaked and adjusted for faster and better play.

I think that many of us have been uncertain as to which details can be released to the public and which ones cannot. None of us wants to be the guy who blabbed something secret. :(

Hey, if the game was exactly the same as the Beta, why would you buy the final product? :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

finarvyn wrote:
fjw70 wrote:I have heard that but the playtesrs are saying that the final rules are virtually identical to the beta rules.
Well ... they are essentially the same from a global "big picture" perspective. The main philosophy and major mechanics really haven't changed much. That's not to say that individual rules systems haven't been tweaked and adjusted for faster and better play.

I think that many of us have been uncertain as to which details can be released to the public and which ones cannot. None of us wants to be the guy who blabbed something secret. :(

Hey, if the game was exactly the same as the Beta, why would you buy the final product? :wink:
I was just messing with you guys. :twisted:
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Hello Folks!
Personally, I hope they are more clarified just not gimped down. I like big risk with big rewards/epic failure. That is the main reason why the Wizard Class is my favorite class to play. Power comes with its own price, and sometimes, magic should backfire due to its fickle nature. This is Magic here we are talking about not Science.
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!

Return to “Magic and Spells”