Classic Modules

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Classic Modules

Post by Thane »

I was wondering if anyone here is going to use DCC Rpg to run any old classical adventures like, for example, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Bone Hill, Castle Amber, Tomb of Horrors etc.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Classic Modules

Post by fjw70 »

Thane wrote:I was wondering if anyone here is going to use DCC Rpg to run any old classical adventures like, for example, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Bone Hill, Castle Amber, Tomb of Horrors etc.
I don't have any specific plans but I am sure I will run the classics with DCC eventually.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

fjw70 wrote:
Thane wrote:I was wondering if anyone here is going to use DCC Rpg to run any old classical adventures like, for example, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Bone Hill, Castle Amber, Tomb of Horrors etc.
I don't have any specific plans but I am sure I will run the classics with DCC eventually.
And it should be easy to do so as well.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Thane wrote:
fjw70 wrote:
And it should be easy to do so as well.
I haven't done any of these adventures, but I've used modules for Labyrinth Lord with no trouble at all. Just invert the AC, and when in doubt, DC15.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I may do Palace of the Silver Princess. That was my first way back when.
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

I have considered doing The Temple of Elemental Evil, but have been trying to make it more "Appendix N"-ish. Also considered using the old cleric/wizard/fighter challenge modules as solo adventures, like using the cleric challenge as an adventure to off set disapproval and sacrifice or something.
Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: I'm Board! Games

Post by Klyngster »

I would like to do the U series, but in the past when I've ran 3E conversions of U1 & U2, I've had one gamer in the party who had read them, and used his knowledge to metagame through the adventures.

Thus, I feel I would have to change them, but I think they are so great as is, I'm still not sure.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

There are some crackers in the line up, and it would be a shame not to include them in some way.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

God I love the U series!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I've been running my group through the old Giants (G-series) modules. I don't bother to convert stuff in advance but "wing it" as we play. Most old school modules should be easy to run.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:I've been running my group through the old Giants (G-series) modules. I don't bother to convert stuff in advance but "wing it" as we play. Most old school modules should be easy to run.
G1 would be an especially spectacularly brutal funnel, wouldn't it? :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

:lol: I wouldn't use any of the G-series modules as my funnel, as they are all rated somewhere around AD&D 12th level. And I thought I was a tough GM... :wink:

They're a nice set of adventures for experienced characters, however. One thing I like about the old TSR modules is the fact that they are so darned short in text but play long. That'a a great characteristic of the new Goodman Games DCC modules I've seen so far.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I've been running my group through the old Giants (G-series) modules. I don't bother to convert stuff in advance but "wing it" as we play. Most old school modules should be easy to run.
GnomeBoy, you're confusing funnel with juicer. How many times do I have to go over kitchen utensils and appliances with you? :lol:
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

It's a character funnel. With a Puree switch. :lol:
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Totally. It might be a while for some of the higher level mods, but the low & mid-level stuff without a doubt (with a bit of re-skinning, treasure changes, etc.)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

JediOre wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
GnomeBoy, you're confusing funnel with juicer. How many times do I have to go over kitchen utensils and appliances with you? :lol:
Can I help it that I like the appliances with the buttons, and want to add some to a funnel...? :mrgreen:

"This one goes to 11..." :lol:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Depends on how big your Giants are. If you make them REALLY big, a 0-level party with just a little stealth can fly under the giants radar. Some well placed ranged attacks could start the giant brawling one-another. (Just don't let one fall on you.)
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

It's call AGAINST the giants, not snack for the giants! What classic module had a barrel titled Elf Pudding in a humanoid stronghold?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Karaptis wrote:What classic module had a barrel titled Elf Pudding in a humanoid stronghold?
I'm going out on a limb here, but was it A2--Secret of the Slavers' Stockade?
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

I've been thinking.

DCC aims for a certain vibe, borne out of the legendary N appendix. But the d&d most of us grew up with, basic and advanced 1st ed, didn't really have that vibe.

I'm wondering if DCC rules/vibe will be too 'gonzo/weird' for those classic modules.

What do you think?
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

Hmmm good point, but I don't think that the awesome vibe DCC rpg gives will be too weird for the classic modules. It may seem that way on some modules, but most of them can be easily converted with little to no hassle in keeping the same story-line or creatures.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

There's some talk on Dragonsfoot (located here) about the wizard. Specifically, is the game geared toward long campaign play, or one shot wacky adventures?

Something to do with the corruption picked up by a wizard seems to suggest it is the latter.

What do you think?
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Judging from the latest spell preview, corruption has been toned back quite a bit from the beta. Miscasting a "light" spell can no longer turn you into a newt, and fumbles have to share space with non-permanent misfire results. Miscasts are also tied to the specific spell, it would seem (and I am assuming they get a little more scary with higher level spells). To me, this suggests that a low level Wizard will not be crippled by corruption by the time he rises to level 5.

In any case, spell casting is always a choice, and Wizards can wield swords in DCC if they want to not rely on magic as often.
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

I was wondering, what about "The Citadel of Fire". I've always wanted to run it and thought that it might make a good higher level adventure, it definitely has some Appendix N inspiration in it.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Well, this may seem obvious, but the beta rules were...beta rules. :)

Those lessons that were learned are reflected in the final rules.

The folks worried about wizard corruption at high levels may be pleasantly surprised when they play the final rules.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”