Attacks of Opportunity

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Attacks of Opportunity

Post by jamat »

Hi there.

It might have been obvious from some of my early posts that I really love this game (though not had chance to play it yet) but I've never been a great fan of the rule of Attacks of Opportunity. On other forums and in reviews this rule seems to be questioned most often.

It has even been stated its one of the worsed rules in the D20 system and makes roleplaying more into wargaming due to the fact you really need to use figures to keep track of everyones position (this is someone leses opinion so if its wrong don't shoot me :D )

So my question is can this be removed easily from the rules? I ask becaues I've noticed a lot of talents/ feats (especially combat ones) have effects on Attacks of Opportunity.

I can live withthe rules as if it's no great shakes but I'd prefer to not use this rule if possible.

Jamat
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Jamat,

You (like any other GM) are free to create any "house rules" you want. If you and your players decide not to use Attacks of Opportunity, that's totally up to you.

Personally, I think that they make sense from a combat standpoint. For instance, if you're standing right next to an enemy and you want to reload your revolver, your enemy won't simply stand there and let you do it easily. Miniatures shouldn't matter here: If your PC is close enough to hit someone in melee combat, then usually your opponent is close enough to hit you too! It's a little trickier if a character is moving through a threatened square, but let common sense prevail: Etherscope doesn't force you to use miniatures.

Again, "house rules" are up to you and your players. Take a look at Table 4-2 in the core book: Instead of eliminating Attacks of Opportunity completely, you may decide that to use them in some cases and not others.

It's your game and your campaign! Do what's fun for you and your players!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Hi Ken.

Thanks for the reply. I've never GM'd a game using the D20 rules so have never had to deal withthe AO rules other than a player.

I'm quite willing to give the rules a go before I have to look at house rules. My observations were due to a few games I've played and comments on different forums.

I will use figure if I use AO rules as I was in one game were some players took the p**s by confusing the GM concerning their character's positioning. I ended up drawing the battle site out so we could keep track. I hate players taking advantage like that.

Anyway still getting my head round all the rules and reading the suppliments as quickly as I can. Still trying to put together my own character but there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment.

Once I've got something on paper I'll post it. Would be interested in seeing other people's characters and backgrounds. Perhaps we could get a thread together where people can post them for comment and discussion.

Jamat

Return to “Etherscope”