My Druid Class (speculative hack)

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

My Druid Class (speculative hack)

Post by caveman »

DRUIDS
Are Neutral avatars of the Wilderness, and human emissaries to Faerie. They read the omens of weather.
Druids cast Clerical Spells using Wizardly Dicepools.
Druids may use clubs, staves, flails and slings. They may use spears, axes, mattocks, and daggers as long as they are constructed of exotic materials such as bone or obsidian.
Druids begin with Animal Summoning from the Wizard spell list, and three spells from the Cleric List.
Druids may choose to Lay on Hands (treat all as Neutral) or Smite, but may never Turn Unholy.

Hit Dice 1d8
Level Attack Crit Action

1 +1 1d8/III 1d20
2 +1 1d8/III 1d20
3 +2 1d10/III 1d20
4 +2 1d10/IV 1d20
5 +3 1d12/IV 1d20 +1d14

SPELLPOOL
Character Level d12 d14 d16 d20
1 Wildman 4 0 0 0
2 Whisperer 5 0 0 0
3 Greenman 5 1 0 0
4 Sage 5 2 0 0
5 Initiate 5 2 1 0

Spellcheck: 1dx +PERS+INT+CL
Spellcheck roll <20 = Discard One Dice
Failed Spellcheck roll = Lose Spell + Discard One Dice
A Critical Roll on any Spell Dice “explodes”: roll again; add total.
1 = Violation of the Natural Order: Roll for CORRUPTION.
Druids may not Spellburn, but may burn Luck as normal
Spellcasting is not affected by Armor Penalties, but Druids are affected by Iron as elves
Add LUCK mod to Animal Summoning (if mod is higher than INT or PERS)

DRUID SPELL LIST
Level 1
Animal Summoning
Darkness
Detect evil
Detect magic
Holy sanctuary
Paralysis
Protection from evil
Resist cold
Second sight
Word of command
Mending
Spiderclimb
Enlarge

This is going along with the stuff I've been fiddling with for Wizard spellpools, but anyway, maybe people will dig it. This hasn't been played yet, I'm just messing about with it.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: My Druid Class (speculative hack)

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I think neutral priests of some nature god are more than enough for druids and shamans. I'm sure they are going to get a spell in the final version, that can summon servants (including animals), their turning ability can be used against unnatural things (or holding fey and animals at bay), and their weapons can be limited by their god.

Still, it's an interesting little sub-class and it shows, how easy it is tinkering with DCC RPG. I was thinking a lot about something like this, mostly for warriors. A bit like OD&D's subclasses, eg.: with Personality 17, your warrior can become a paladin, you can lay hands, get some other stuff, some restrictions, and your hit dice is only d10, etc... Plus seperating races from classes and adding sub-races.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”