Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:41 pm
Posts: 2694
Location: San Jose, CA
I thought I answered this but I can't find my post so maybe it got eatenby the Internet! Just wanted to let you know quickly that although thieves and halflings are the only classes that can restore "used" Luck, all classes can earn new Luck through the completion of great deeds and adventure-specific acts. Cleansing a temple, completing a quest for a god, righting a great wrong, restoring balance between Law and Chaos, and so on all earn the award of a point or two of Luck. There is some guidance on this in the rules.

As far as the thief who expends all his Luck in a mighty blow: yes, it's definitely possible. And when he walks out of that encounter with a Luck score of 3, well, if I were the DM, I would have that PC very nervous about walking down stairs, going near an open window, etc. Bad things happen to characters with low Luck, often at the judge's discretion...

_________________
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:44 am
Posts: 149
If your players are in a downward death spiral with luck, then something has gone horribly wrong. The first thing I see wrong with that scenario is that 0-level characters should not be fighting an Ogre.

That's actually a common misconception. Bigger monsters have higher XP rewards, lower level characters have lower XP requirements to level. Should be balanced, right? A quick look at the three little books shows that this was never intended, however. Experience rewards scale according to the difficulty of the fight. In fact, an Ogre should only provide his base XP reward to 4th level characters. I would give 1st level characters 1600 XP (if using OD&D experience) for that fight (Ogres in OD&D are worth 400xp to start, and then the ratio of levels is 1:4).

But the reward is not really the problem. The problem is that low level players should be earning their XP from treasure and exploration. All fights should be hopelessly rigged with clever ambushes, ruses and ploys. The ideal fight goes down without the players even drawing a weapon, let alone allowing the enemy to make a single attack. Got an owlbear in your way? Lead him to the middle of a raging river, then release some logs that knock him over and flush him over the watefalls. Bingo, dead Owlbear.

Early level fights are either unplanned accidents that have the characters running for their lives, or battles that take all day to plan out and prepare. The players should scout out and find the enemy first, and then think of clever ways to get around them or otherwise dispose of them. Dungeons aren't really littered with enemy occupants, so time and consideration should be taken with those that are encountered.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm
Posts: 123
goodmangames wrote:
I thought I answered this but I can't find my post so maybe it got eatenby the Internet! Just wanted to let you know quickly that although thieves and halflings are the only classes that can restore "used" Luck, all classes can earn new Luck through the completion of great deeds and adventure-specific acts. Cleansing a temple, completing a quest for a god, righting a great wrong, restoring balance between Law and Chaos, and so on all earn the award of a point or two of Luck. There is some guidance on this in the rules.

As far as the thief who expends all his Luck in a mighty blow: yes, it's definitely possible. And when he walks out of that encounter with a Luck score of 3, well, if I were the DM, I would have that PC very nervous about walking down stairs, going near an open window, etc. Bad things happen to characters with low Luck, often at the judge's discretion...



hehehe, interesting. Going along with this, I might modify my random die rolls to see who gets attacked by which monsters based on luck. So the person with the worse luck will have a higher chanch of getting attacked. Maybe I will also increase the chanch of wandering monsters if the overall party luck score is a negative. Maybe some item they want to try to buy at a shop is unavailible even though its a commen item if their luck score reduces the chanches of items being avalible at the store. Lot of potential there I have not thought of...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:41 pm
Posts: 2694
Location: San Jose, CA
moes1980 wrote:
hehehe, interesting. Going along with this, I might modify my random die rolls to see who gets attacked by which monsters based on luck. So the person with the worse luck will have a higher chanch of getting attacked. Maybe I will also increase the chanch of wandering monsters if the overall party luck score is a negative. Maybe some item they want to try to buy at a shop is unavailible even though its a commen item if their luck score reduces the chanches of items being avalible at the store. Lot of potential there I have not thought of...


You are on EXACTLY the right track! There is a section in the core rulebook that covers this exact subject matter. There is a real downside to low Luck scores, that crops up in lots of "everyday" ways...

_________________
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm
Posts: 2305
Location: Left Coast, USA
goodmangames wrote:
moes1980 wrote:
hehehe, interesting. Going along with this, I might modify my random die rolls to see who gets attacked by which monsters based on luck. So the person with the worse luck will have a higher chanch of getting attacked. Maybe I will also increase the chanch of wandering monsters if the overall party luck score is a negative. Maybe some item they want to try to buy at a shop is unavailible even though its a commen item if their luck score reduces the chanches of items being avalible at the store. Lot of potential there I have not thought of...


You are on EXACTLY the right track! There is a section in the core rulebook that covers this exact subject matter. There is a real downside to low Luck scores, that crops up in lots of "everyday" ways...


I think I'd want to know a player is ready to embrace that before I used it too often on them. Otherwise, Luck just becomes a stat that no one is willing to be bad in -- as in switch the character out for a new one ASAP...

_________________
Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luck Kind of Sucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:04 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Los Angeles
GnomeBoy wrote:
I think I'd want to know a player is ready to embrace that before I used it too often on them. Otherwise, Luck just becomes a stat that no one is willing to be bad in -- as in switch the character out for a new one ASAP...


At the same time you don't want it to turn LUCK into some sort of "pool". Dump stats have always been a problem in some versions of D&D. It's in everyone's best interest that the Judge strikes a balance and make sure characters with high ability scores have their shining moments as well as those with low scores to show their failings. And the best way to do that is to test, or factor, every Ability equally-not just Luck.

_________________
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group