Appendix N type movies.

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Appendix N type movies.

Post by Karaptis »

I was wondering if people thought of any movies that they feel captures this type of genre. To me something like Ralph Bakshi's Wizards comes to mind. I'm interesred in what many people here think?
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Appendix N type movies.

Post by Geoffrey »

Ray Harryhausen's movies (especially Jason and the Argonauts and the Sinbad movies) would fit the bill, I think.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

They would for sure!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Anyone else see John Carter yet? Am I the only one who hated it?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I'll let you know tonight. I am skeptical of Disney but it couldnt be any worse that that monstrocity starring Traci Lords (could it? :shock: ).
Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: I'm Board! Games

Post by Klyngster »

The first two Conan movies starring Arnold, and Kull the Conqueror starring Tia Carrere (currently on Celebrity Apprentice).

While I'm not entirely certain if this would qualify as 'Appendix N', I can't help but mention that there were some gritty moments in 'The Dark Crystal' that blew my young mind when it first came out.

'The Beastmaster' and 'The 13th Warrior' also qualify, I think.
Last edited by Klyngster on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I thought the Solomon Kane movie was pretty good. I also enjoyed Valhalla Rising, it had some moments that reminded me of S&S. Those are all recent movies.

The classics like Krull, Sword & the Sorcerer and Hawk The Slayer are awesome, cheesy and low-budget at times, but they're charming and true to the spirit. Ray Harryhausen movies are also fantastic.

I don't know why it is, but fantasy movies seem tough to make. There are rare exceptions, like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings and it's officially Appendix N.

John Carter let me down pretty bad, I don't even want to talk about it. It's not as bad as the 2010 Conan, but it ain't good.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

reverenddak wrote:I also enjoyed Valhalla Rising, it had some moments that reminded me of S&S.
This is a movie that people either love or hate. I loved it's grim atmosphere, the visuals and the strange relationship between One-Eye and the kid. The latter pair would make interesting sword & sorcery heroes.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
reverenddak wrote:I also enjoyed Valhalla Rising, it had some moments that reminded me of S&S.
This is a movie that people either love or hate. I loved it's grim atmosphere, the visuals and the strange relationship between One-Eye and the kid. The latter pair would make interesting sword & sorcery heroes.
It's full of the "unexplained", a mysterious land and threat, and focused on one man's journey, which is very S&S.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by onearmspence »

reverenddak wrote:John Carter let me down pretty bad, I don't even want to talk about it. It's not as bad as the 2010 Conan, but it ain't good.
Yep… disappointing.

I don’t know if it applies as a S&S/Appendix N movie but I like the 2007 Beowulf
It has some awesome epic lines.

"I am ripper, slasher, tearer, gouger! I am the teeth in the darkness, the talons in the night! Mine is strength and lust and power! I AM BEOWULF!"

That's a MDA roll!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Krull! I just re-watched that a couple months ago. Hokey but fun.

I watched Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon again last week. Not fantasy by any stretch but still got me thinking about D&D. Basically a tournament of fighters...

And you can't forget Dragonslayer, the 80's classic!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Fire and Ice (1983 iirc)
Black Death (recent, and very good)
Zardoz
Alien
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (not appendix N but a good representation on what a lot of my D&D games end up looking like)
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I would add The Dark Crystal.

My Appendix N leanings is to Lord Dunsany and Jim Henson's fantasy evokes the same feel to me.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Does 'Jabberwocky' count? Havn't seen that one in years. Used to like it.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Jabberwocky totally qualifies. If everyone can quote Monte Python at the gaming table, then Jabberwocky has to qualify!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I keep wanting to type Raiders of the Lost Ark, but then I think you'll just think I'm crazy, and I'd be crazy to encourage you to think of me as I am...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

GnomeBoy wrote:I keep wanting to type Raiders of the Lost Ark, but then I think you'll just think I'm crazy, and I'd be crazy to encourage you to think of me as I am...
It's pulp. Don't be afraid to type it. Born of the same mad place as Conan and Princess of Mars and all of it.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:I keep wanting to type Raiders of the Lost Ark, but then I think you'll just think I'm crazy, and I'd be crazy to encourage you to think of me as I am...
I think this totally qualifies. To be honest, I also think the 1990's Mummy movie fits in there too. Both have "modern" adventurers getting in over their heads with the unknown. That is the type of story Lovecraft often pulled from as well.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

The Pirates of the Caribbean series, and pirate adventures in general, are also very pulp fares.

blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

I think it's fascinating that there are so relatively few "proper" swords & sorcery films and we have to quickly venture out into movies with the correct feel but different settings.

Anybody seen the low-budget 1970 horror film Equinox?

Kids find a Necronomicon-esque tome and wander into the woods searching for a vanishing castle.
Demons from another dimension attack. Fritz Leiber plays the lost scientist they're trying to find.

I saw that movie as a kid on TV and literally told people about it futilely for 30 years
until Criterion released it on DVD awhile back.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Nice call on Equinox! Has anyone seen the Corman films Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen? Not to mention Warrior and the Sorceress with the late David Carradine.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

onearmspence wrote:
reverenddak wrote:John Carter let me down pretty bad, I don't even want to talk about it. It's not as bad as the 2010 Conan, but it ain't good.
Yep… disappointing.
Sorry you guys didn't like it. I've seen it twice and am planning on taking the family to it this weekend. I've been a huge ERB and John Carter fan since the 1970's, right about the time I first discovered OD&D, and I've been waiting 35 years for this movie. I enjoyed it a lot!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Hammer Horror! Peter Cushing's Van Helsing is practically the prototype for the adventuring cleric.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

>Peter Cushing's Van Helsing is practically the prototype for the adventuring cleric.

I like that. Hammer stuff is so atmospheric and perfect.
Wandering-Nephilim
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Wandering-Nephilim »

It is comedic, juvenile, and reminds me of my high school D&D experiences but Your Highness has some elements. I'm watching it, the classic Conan flicks, Beastmaster, and a few other films mentioned to get myself in the mindset for DCC.
"Awake, arise, or be forever fallen!"
Paradise Lost. Book I Line 330

Return to “Appendix N”