Web board forum "sub-folders"

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Web board forum "sub-folders"

Post by JediOre »

I spend most of my time on this board in the DCC forum.

It may be easier to navigate if "sub-folders" could be created in which each DCC had it's own folder. So, if someone has a question about, say DCC #2, instead of hunting through six pages of threads, he could click on the folder labelled DCC #2 and all the information is right there.

Just a random thought.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

*bump*

I still think this idea has merit.

I don't know what this forum can do but it seems newbies would benefit from this alot.

What say you Mr. Goodman?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

If people think this is a good idea, I'm okay with it (provided I can figure out how to do sub-folders). What do other people think? Aye, nay?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Sounds like a great idea to me. Perhaps a DCC Story Hour forum would be good too.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

It seems support for my idea is slightly underwelming.

Never mind.

I love the idea for story time too. Ouch, I hope my support of this doesn't send it out to pasture as well.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Well it's been a while since I requested this, but Goodman Games now has over fifty DCCs, numerous other lines and now 4th edition is looming on the horizon.

These forums really need sub-folders under the main forum headings. There are several threads on Castle Whiterock spread out over two or three pages alone. One of the great things about the forums is its ability to promote Goodman Games products. By making it easier for both guests and regulars to read about a potental purchase is a good thing.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I had always used the search function to look for specific DCC threads...

I do think the idea has merit (not sure if it will be difficult to moderate though, or if it would be too cumbersome to have folders for each module). I like the idea of a specific "Story Hour" folder.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I don't think the phpBB software can do subfolders. It does categories ("our products", "gaming", "other random stuff") and forums (Dungeon Crawl Classics, DragonMech, Adventure Design, Suggestion Box) and topics (the individual threads within each forum). There's no further way to break things down.

DCCs could be made into their own category, with each DCC being a forum, but then we'd end up with a huge list of forums on the main page, and many of those forums would only have 1 or 2 topics in them.

Unless there's an update to the board software that has added subforum functionality, I think fathead's suggestion of using the search the function is the best way to go when looking for info on a specific DCC.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

:lol:

I've been using these forums for four years now and I didn't even notice the "search" button!

:oops:

If the software won't do something than that is that. I view this forum as something akin to a file cabinet. Having manila folders in the hanging file folders to sub-divide a large file just works for me.
Heffe
Gongfarmer

Post by Heffe »

mythfish wrote:I don't think the phpBB software can do subfolders. It does categories ("our products", "gaming", "other random stuff") and forums (Dungeon Crawl Classics, DragonMech, Adventure Design, Suggestion Box) and topics (the individual threads within each forum). There's no further way to break things down.

DCCs could be made into their own category, with each DCC being a forum, but then we'd end up with a huge list of forums on the main page, and many of those forums would only have 1 or 2 topics in them.

Unless there's an update to the board software that has added subforum functionality, I think fathead's suggestion of using the search the function is the best way to go when looking for info on a specific DCC.
This is not correct, at least with current versions, not sure with the 2002 version running here. If the system were updated to the latest v3.0.0 of phpBB, not only would you be able to do sub-folders & such, but also get rid of 99% of the junk & spam on the system.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Heffe wrote: This is not correct, at least with current versions, not sure with the 2002 version running here. If the system were updated to the latest v3.0.0 of phpBB, not only would you be able to do sub-folders & such, but also get rid of 99% of the junk & spam on the system.
As I said, unless there's an update... :)

Good to know.
Dieter Zimmerman
carl
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Web board forum "sub-folders"

Post by carl »

JediOre wrote:It may be easier to navigate if "sub-folders" could be created in which each DCC had it's own folder.
You mean something like a Subforum under Dungeon Crawl Classics entitled DCC Modules by the Numbers and then subfolders within that of each of the different modules?

To quote the source:
In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based. Each forum can have an unlimited number of sub-forums...
So, from this thread it seems this is something still desired? I did an example with Whiterock. Lemme know if I should do more or delete or what have you...
Carl
Board conversion maestro
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

carl wrote:
JediOre wrote:It may be easier to navigate if "sub-folders" could be created in which each DCC had it's own folder.
You mean something like a Subforum under Dungeon Crawl Classics entitled DCC Modules by the Numbers and then subfolders within that of each of the different modules?
Yeah, I think that's exactly what people are wanting for the DCCs.
Dieter Zimmerman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Yep, that is what I'm suggesting.

Something like this under the DCC forum:

General
etc.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re:

Post by finarvyn »

JediOre wrote:These forums really need sub-folders under the main forum headings. There are several threads on Castle Whiterock spread out over two or three pages alone.
I just found this. And here I thought the "Everything Whiterock" thread way my idea. :P

I think that the concept of sub-forums isn't a bad one, but I suspect having one for each DCC module would be overkill. Instead, perhaps look for patterns (such as "everything Whiterock" or maybe "DCC 1-10", "DCC 11-20", etc) and clumping several module topics together.

For example "AD&D and C&C" is a possible topic. (I've thought about making a list similar to my Whiterock one for those threads.) While AD&D and C&C might not seem related mechanially, I think that they are philosophically. And neither is "straight 3E". Of course, when the DCC RPG comes out much of this may become obsolete anyway. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'm open to ideas on this.

I like the idea of a Whiterock sub-folder. Clearly, with so many posts, it deserves to happen!

I also like the idea of a "rules ports" sub-forum for the various AD&D/C&C/Hackmaster conversion threads.

I'm just not sure how to organize the other modules. In "clumps" of modules seems good at first, but what do you do with related series? For example, DCC #1 and DCC #27 both deal with the rat king, and I'm sure there are some threads out there that would be hard to classify based on "DCC #1-10" and "DCC #20-30." Hmm...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

goodmangames wrote:I'm just not sure how to organize the other modules. In "clumps" of modules seems good at first, but what do you do with related series? For example, DCC #1 and DCC #27 both deal with the rat king, and I'm sure there are some threads out there that would be hard to classify based on "DCC #1-10" and "DCC #20-30." Hmm...

Well, if you weren't so doggone prolific we wouldn't be having these problems, would we! :lol:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:In "clumps" of modules seems good at first, but what do you do with related series? For example, DCC #1 and DCC #27 both deal with the rat king, and I'm sure there are some threads out there that would be hard to classify based on "DCC #1-10" and "DCC #20-30." Hmm...
I was just thinking that if you wanted fewer folders, organizing by number is at least a start. I agree that "clumps" really aren't that efficient.

I'd really rather see one folder for each main topic, e.g. "Rat King" or Punjar or Whiterock or whatever.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

This is a "Thank You" to Mr. Goodman for the re-working of the boards.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Agreed. I think that it's a lot easier to find main topics with the new organization.

Now, if only we could keep chatter alive in them! :P
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Suggestion Box”