Countdown Thread

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Countdown Thread

Post by finarvyn »

Where are our countdowners? We skipped totally over 67 and moved directly onto 66. :shock:

Aren't you guys interested any more? :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

Oh I most certainly am
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

And we're at 66, by the way. :wink:

(That is pre-supposing that all of the initial assumptions about the timeline are correct.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

It's better than that: It's 65 days by my count. Remember that Feb. 29 is Day Zero, not "one more day to go!". :D
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

ARE...WE...THERE...YET?
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

Uh, oh. It looks like we're going to have to stop the countdown. The DDC RPG is no longer scheduled for a February release. Now it has a "Spring 2012" release: http://www.goodman-games.com/5070preview.html

We can narrow that down some. Note that the game itself and the first 4 modules have a spring release date. The 5th and 6th modules have a release date of May. Click here:
http://www.goodman-games.com/upcomingreleases.html

Thus, we can deduce that the current release date for the DDC RPG is sometime between March 21 and April 30, 2012.

Personally, I'm not sweating the delay. Assuming an April release, that's a delay of only 5 months from its originally-scheduled release date of November 2011. After all, my own Carcosa and Isle of the Unknown were released 6 months late. :mrgreen:
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Very astute; you posted before I could. The editing and layout are coming along very well. I just sent out a draft of the layout -- 200 pages complete! -- for some proofreaders to take a look at. But to hit a February release date, it would have to go to the printer today. And that ain't happening! Based on the rate that we're cranking through the edits/layout I'm estimating an April date at this point. Things are moving well and we're in the final stages.

There are some people on these boards who have seen the layout draft -- it lives! They can vouch for me if needed. :)

Long ago I learned an important lesson as a publisher: a year or two after a book's release, nobody remembers if it was late or not, but they definitely remember if it was full of typos. It's far better to get it right than get it out on time. I wish I could have both, but given how important it is to me to get DCC RPG right, I'm okay with it being a little late in order for it to be perfect. When you guys see the final product I think you will agree.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Very astute; you posted before I could. The editing and layout are coming along very well. I just sent out a draft of the layout -- 200 pages complete! -- for some proofreaders to take a look at. But to hit a February release date, it would have to go to the printer today. And that ain't happening! Based on the rate that we're cranking through the edits/layout I'm estimating an April date at this point. Things are moving well and we're in the final stages.

There are some people on these boards who have seen the layout draft -- it lives! They can vouch for me if needed. :)

Long ago I learned an important lesson as a publisher: a year or two after a book's release, nobody remembers if it was late or not, but they definitely remember if it was full of typos. It's far better to get it right than get it out on time. I wish I could have both, but given how important it is to me to get DCC RPG right, I'm okay with it being a little late in order for it to be perfect. When you guys see the final product I think you will agree.
No problem. My gaming group runs campaigns in quarters; i.e., Jan-March, April-June, etc. Guess what game I'll be running starting April :D
What do you mean no?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:There are some people on these boards who have seen the layout draft -- it lives! They can vouch for me if needed. :)
It. Looks. Amazing.

If you liked the look of the Beta preview, hang on because the real thing will blow the doors off of the Beta. It's my understanding that we're not supposed to give away many details, so I'll leave you with anticipation. This product is shaping up nicely and I think we'll all be pretty happy with it when it's all done.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Joseph is vouched for! Hang in there. Joseph Has done some really cool things since the Beta, and, just as importantly, he listened to us. I'm anxious to get my copies, too. Remember that the RPG industry lately has become infamous for poor editing and proof reading. Joseph wants to rise above that. He wants to give a a great game and a great publication, too. Give him the chance to do both.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Disappointed. :(
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

Yeah I know things happen but I'm disappointed to. You are right about three years from now nobody will remember if its late but at the same time,some of us were counting on its release and made plans accordingly. I know these things happen and you guys want to get it right. That's cool.

It's hard to remain excited for something so far out.

Ah well, I will still look in now and again and as the new release date comes around I'm sure I will get re-excited!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hey, it's less time from now to April, than it was from Beta to February... :D
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

I've been through a drama queen cycle of excitement-dismay-exasperation and now my interest and faith have been re-kindled. Roll on April :D
Sean Wills
Pilgrim
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Pilgrim »

While I am dismayed to see that it will be mid-late spring before the game arrives, I'm also glad it will be later in the spring if it means that the game will be top notch. It's also good to hear from some of the members who are seeing previews, I'm really stoked to hear it's looking good.

:D
"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ JRR Tolkien
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Pilgrim wrote:While I am dismayed to see that it will be mid-late spring before the game arrives, I'm also glad it will be later in the spring if it means that the game will be top notch. It's also good to hear from some of the members who are seeing previews, I'm really stoked to hear it's looking good.

Since the book is delayed, you should throw out a teaser for everybody. A few random pages or something.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

For my druthers, I'd rather see a few pages from one of the forthcoming DCC RPG modules. :)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Pilgrim wrote:While I am dismayed to see that it will be mid-late spring before the game arrives, I'm also glad it will be later in the spring if it means that the game will be top notch. It's also good to hear from some of the members who are seeing previews, I'm really stoked to hear it's looking good.

I'm one of the 3PP so I've gotten a look at DCC. I know it's annoying to hear over and over about how awesome something unseen is or is going to be. And I apologize for piling on in that regard.

But I'd like to say that this DCC book looks fantastic. It is going to be well worth the wait. I'm only ankle deep into it at the moment and I've got to say that Joseph has incorporated so much of our feedback into the latest draft. And it looks so awesome.

It's completely separated itself from the pack of "D&D clones" in so many regards.

Your patience will be richly rewarded. This will be a landmark publication in 2012. I hope I'm not giving too much away. But the extra couple of months is giving us all a huge jump in quality -- both in look and playability.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

That's nice. I'm still very cool on the game as I've been the last few months. I'll wait to see it to see if I want to write anything for it. It's looking doubtful that I'll be doing anything for DCCRPG though.
Pilgrim
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Pilgrim »

smathis wrote:I'm one of the 3PP so I've gotten a look at DCC. I know it's annoying to hear over and over about how awesome something unseen is or is going to be. And I apologize for piling on in that regard.

But I'd like to say that this DCC book looks fantastic. It is going to be well worth the wait. I'm only ankle deep into it at the moment and I've got to say that Joseph has incorporated so much of our feedback into the latest draft. And it looks so awesome.

It's completely separated itself from the pack of "D&D clones" in so many regards.

Your patience will be richly rewarded. This will be a landmark publication in 2012. I hope I'm not giving too much away. But the extra couple of months is giving us all a huge jump in quality -- both in look and playability.
That's it, just keep pouring the salt and rubbing it in the wounds for those of us who don't get a sneak peek.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

:mrgreen:

Seriously though, that's great to know, really looking forward to it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ JRR Tolkien
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Devil Swine wrote: It's hard to remain excited for something so far out.
What are you talking about? :)

I'm so excited about the December 2012 release of The Hobbit! Time moves so quickly these days, 2013 will be here before I know it. April is like two weekends away when you have two young children and a more-than-full-time job! :lol:

Joseph is about to experience the wild dichotomy of time as a parent. It moves very slowly and extremely fast at the same time.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

JediOre wrote:
Devil Swine wrote: It's hard to remain excited for something so far out.
What are you talking about? :)

I'm so excited about the December 2012 release of The Hobbit! Time moves so quickly these days, 2013 will be here before I know it. April is like two weekends away when you have two young children and a more-than-full-time job! :lol:

Joseph is about to experience the wild dichotomy of time as a parent. It moves very slowly and extremely fast at the same time.
I know exactly what you mean. It's not like I'm sitting in my living room every day saying "one day closer to the Hobbit movie" or anything like that, but I find that I stay busy enough that time zooms past in a hurry. Christmas, 2012, is a bit far away, but it'll be here pretty quickly!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

JediOre wrote:Joseph is about to experience the wild dichotomy of time as a parent. It moves very slowly and extremely fast at the same time.
No joke. The parenthood time warp is one of the reasons TA and TG are on such a "flexible" release schedule.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

This is going to seriously cut into my GaryCon... :lol:

You don't, by any chance, use a company called Ocean Marketing, do you? :D
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ocean Marketing! Gah! Don't bring that bad karma around here!! :)

I plan to post some PDF previews as soon as the PDF is proofread. Gotta get everything typo-free first!

And some other announcements coming soon. The extra time is being well-used...things like an alternate limited-edition cover, and a special module available only with pre-orders...stuff like that. Coming soon, I swear. Oh, and the adventure design contest...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”