Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

Post by Jim Skach »

Congrats! If only sleep could be stored up like in a battery or something. Ah well, after a few years you get to sleep again and then a few years later you have little gamers!

But I have to wonder if Harley's wife is having a baby too :)

heh....that's how much I want to play in a game at GaryCon...and my kids are chomping at the bit...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jim Skach wrote:But I have to wonder if Harley's wife is having a baby too :)
Eerie. :shock:

(Good to see you, Jim! Can't wait to throw some dice with your family, again!)

But yes, if I'm able to, I'd love to do GaryCon again. I had a blast and met some really cool folks. Plus we'll have a ton of new adventures to playtest.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I'm all alone on the Birth in the Booth Idea?

Geez and normally I have my finger on the pulse of the rpg society! :shock:
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I'll be running three sessions of Blades Against Death at ConNooga Feb 17-19.

http://www.warhorn.net/connooga/schedule/day.php

Come on out!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GaryCon is this March 22nd-25th!

Doug Kovacs and I will be in attendance. If you harass Doug enough, he might even run a game for you. But just in case he doesn't, I'll be running 3+ playtests of upcoming DCC RPG adventures.

Hope to see you there!

http://garycon.com

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nudnic »

Will Dungeon Crawl Classics appear the bay area? Dundracon and pacificon are coming up.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

nudnic wrote:Will Dungeon Crawl Classics appear the bay area? Dundracon and pacificon are coming up.
Yes indeed! I can't make DunDraCon this year (bummer! I've been running DCC RPG there for the last two years!) but I'll probably make Pacificon. And possibly some random game stores "here and there" as well.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Harley Stroh wrote:GaryCon is this March 22nd-25th!

Doug Kovacs and I will be in attendance. If you harass Doug enough, he might even run a game for you. But just in case he doesn't, I'll be running 3+ playtests of upcoming DCC RPG adventures.

Hope to see you there!

//H
Reservations for 3 please...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jim Skach wrote:Reservations for 3 please...
Done! But your daughter set the bar pretty high last year. It's going to be tough to top the "boot."

http://jrients.blogspot.com/2011/03/few ... mages.html

//H

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

:lol: I laughed out loud when I read about the "boot". Kids are so much fun to game with.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:Reservations for 3 please...
Done! But your daughter set the bar pretty high last year. It's going to be tough to top the "boot."

http://jrients.blogspot.com/2011/03/few ... mages.html

//H
Awesome!

Kids will be up on Friday morning..they are in Richie Franks Kids Only game at 10...then they don'y have another game (planned) until Sunday morning (Tavis' kid friendly game).

And I hope everyone at the table is cool with them gaming along side adults. Usually they can hold their own - but I know sometimes people feel the need to self-edit. But I put it out there that it's unlikely they will hear anything they haven't heard me say.

[[At Gen Con, my son was a spectator when we had an AD&D game at The Condo. He had guys laughing heartily with his commentary...particularly when a plan involving riding a folding boat down the side of a mountain as a kind of sleigh evoked the Jaws reference "You're going to need a bigger boat"]]

ETA: Crud...I didn't know you were in the registration system (I thought, for some reason, that you weren't going through the normal channels) so they have used up their points on the two games they are in :( I'll have to ask them when they get home form school if they want to switch one out....and then hoep they give us a way to do that...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Hmmm. I'm ignorant of how the point system works, but if it doesn't work out, I suspect there we can work in some open gaming at some point or just stack the Skach family onto the 8 top ... the more the merrier!

//H

Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: I'm Board! Games

Post by Klyngster »

Harley Stroh wrote:Hmmm. I'm ignorant of how the point system works, but if it doesn't work out, I suspect there we can work in some open gaming at some point or just stack the Skach family onto the 8 top ... the more the merrier!

//H
I'll be driving down from Madison just to see the game in action. If there's any DCC RPG open gaming (or openings for the points games available), I'd love to join in.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Klyngster wrote:I'll be driving down from Madison just to see the game in action. If there's any DCC RPG open gaming (or openings for the points games available), I'd love to join in.
Awesome! I know that Doug will be running some pickup games in addition to the scheduled games I'm running. We can definitely get you into a game somewhere. Also, feel free to introduce yourself at any scheduled game I'm running. If we aren't already stacked at 8+, I bet we can get you in.

//H

Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Klyngster »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Awesome! I know that Doug will be running some pickup games in addition to the scheduled games I'm running. We can definitely get you into a game somewhere. Also, feel free to introduce yourself at any scheduled game I'm running. If we aren't already stacked at 8+, I bet we can get you in.

//H
Thank you for allowing me to play in your games. I hope my sleep deprived self didn't act too silly. I had a very enjoyable time and learned a lot about the game, which will help in the two events I'll be running at Odyssey Con next month.

The DCC RPG attracted a lot of great gamers. I'm sure it will attract a lot more as time passes.

One thing I forgot to mention to you is that I love the 'Appendix N Your DCC' thread, and hope that if you ever have free time, you'll go back to it later in the year.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=17674
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Harley,

Thanks for running a great game at Gary Con, you're a great GM. I had a blast & am even more excited about the coming rulebook. The new spell tables are a very good thing! Can't wait to see the rest!

Thanks for making me a demon prince!

-Adananx the Awesome, Demon Prince of Worlds.

Harley Stroh wrote:GaryCon is this March 22nd-25th!

Hope to see you there!

//H
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Klyngster wrote:Thank you for allowing me to play in your games. I hope my sleep deprived self didn't act too silly. I had a very enjoyable time and learned a lot about the game, which will help in the two events I'll be running at Odyssey Con next month.

The DCC RPG attracted a lot of great gamers. I'm sure it will attract a lot more as time passes.
Klyngster! Thank you so much for taking the time to play! (And thank you for dropping in for the role of "fearsome stranger that rolls attacks and damage against the PCs." Hopefully the dice are little more cruel during Odyssey Con. :) )

By the by, don't worry about sleep deprivation. That's just par for the course of all of us at a con. 20 hour days and you catch up on sleep when you get home.

It was great having so many players eager to play the DCC RPG. I really do need to start coming earlier in the week, so that I can get more games in. So many great players, too little time to run.
Klyngster wrote:One thing I forgot to mention to you is that I love the 'Appendix N Your DCC' thread, and hope that if you ever have free time, you'll go back to it later in the year.

Thank you! It's on my to do list, along with posting pregens (thank you for catching my error on the cleric spell list) and converting the stats from Crime Pays to the DCC RPG. This summer is boding well, but I'm eternally too optimistic about my abilities and the time that will be required to get stuff done. Thank you for your patience!

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

romprecentor wrote:Harley,

Thanks for running a great game at Gary Con, you're a great GM. I had a blast & am even more excited about the coming rulebook. The new spell tables are a very good thing! Can't wait to see the rest!

Thanks for making me a demon prince!

-Adananx the Awesome, Demon Prince of Worlds.
Adananx was AWESOME. I didn't make him a demon prince, he just fulfilled his destiny! (And the corruption roll was too perfect.)

I need to get home and write up a con recap, but your ending scene was one of my favorite memories from the con. With your blessing I'll write Adananx into a DCC cameo ...

//H

romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Use Adananx wherever you want!
Harley Stroh wrote:
Adananx was AWESOME. I didn't make him a demon prince, he just fulfilled his destiny! (And the corruption roll was too perfect.)

I need to get home and write up a con recap, but your ending scene was one of my favorite memories from the con. With your blessing I'll write Adananx into a DCC cameo ...

//H
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The Gary Con report is up. Everyone should feel free to correct / amend my post, or add their own notes.

Thanks again for coming out guys. Hope to see you again at Gen Con!

//H

michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Not so much a playtest as DCC RPG will be out by then, but I wanted everyone to know that I'll be running two sessions of DCC at NTRPG in June. The descriptions aren't up yet, but here's what I have lined up as of this morning:

Friday, June 8th, 1000-1400
Game Title: Emirikol Must Die!
Game System: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
Number of Players: 6-8
Pregens/Level of characters: Yes/4th level
World/Setting: Generic

The mad wizard Emirikol is terrifying the city! Striking without reason to slaughter the populace, the infamous mage has gone too far. Now a coffer of jewels is offered to those who would dare defeat him. Eager to collect that reward, a collection of reavers, cut-purses, heathen-slayers, and warlocks bands together to defeat the servant of Chaos within his very sanctum. The ever-changing walls of his Shifting Tower are guarded by a host of diabolical traps, fiendish guardians, and unimaginable terror. Will the adventurers come out victorious…or lose their very souls in the attempt?

Players will be provided a selection of pre-generated characters to choose from before they begin their assault. This event is open to all players and familiarity with the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG is not required. The scenario mixes thrilling battles and deductive thinking. Only a party able to master both stands a chance of emerging triumphant.

Saturday, June 9th, 1800-2200
Game Title: The Fane of St. Toad
Game System: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
Number of Players: 6-8
Pregens/Level of characters: Yes/3rd level
World/Setting: Generic

For as long as men remember, the cult of St. Toad carried out unspeakable rites in their squatting temples situated far from civilization. Tales of human sacrifice, squirming servants, and rich, but loathsome treasures were whispered of the cult. Now, unexpectedly, the cult has seemingly vanished, leaving behind their fanes to molder in the marshes. A brave band of adventurers gathers to explore one such tabernacle, eager to discover what riches—and terrors—the cult has left behind…

A good old-fashioned dungeon crawl, The Fane of St. Toad was first written for OD&D, but is now adapted for Dungeon Crawl Classics. Players will be provided a selection of pre-generated characters to choose from before they begin their delving of the Fane. This event is open to all players and familiarity with the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG is not required. Batrachophobes need not apply.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

Klyngster wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:

//H
Thank you for allowing me to play in your games. I hope my sleep deprived self didn't act too silly. I had a very enjoyable time and learned a lot about the game, which will help in the two events I'll be running at Odyssey Con next month.

One thing I forgot to mention to you is that I love the 'Appendix N Your DCC' thread, and hope that if you ever have free time, you'll go back to it later in the year.

I'll be at Odysseycon also! I'm running a Savage Worlds game so join the fun!
Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Klyngster »

jeff wrote:
I'll be at Odysseycon also! I'm running a Savage Worlds game so join the fun!
Thanks, I'll check it out if I'm able.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

June 2: Roleplay DNA charity Game Day

I'll be playtesting some new adventures, hosted by the awesome folks of Roleplay DNA.

Where: Denver, Colorado. Total Escape Games.

When: Erm. Afternoon and Evening. Again, the schedule isn't quite set.

But when it is, you will probably be able to find out here:

http://p5productions.com/roleplaydna/

Edit: Whew. I'm not making this up:

http://www.totalescapegames.com/events/ ... 12&month=6

//H

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I'll be running two sessions of DCC RPG at FORGE in Lexington, KY the end of May. As a bonus, I'm also playing there with my pirate band Drunk & Sailor in the evenings. :D
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “Actual Play Reports”