Game Concept set in Greece

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

yperiwn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Game Concept set in Greece

Post by yperiwn »

Reclamation: I'm greek, so I did some stuff on the area in order to create a story in the area. Some of the stuff I mention here are real-life facts and some are pure fiction I will try avoid creating misunderstandings on this issue, but in case anyone who feels offended has my apologies in advance.

Ottoman Empire IRL
The ottoman empire had historicaly been a multicultural empire where lots of cultures, religions, and what late would become nation lived. The central authority of the sultan refused to recognise any nationality and considered all of its subjects to be Ottoman. Greeks, Serbians, Bulgars and other christian ethincities were considered christian Ottomans and the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople/Istanbul served as their religious and political rleader since the Ottoman legislation gave him the privilege to bring issues conserning his floc to the attention of the sultan.
Muslim Ottomans whereither Arabs or Turks. Following the Coran they were forbiden to learn foreign languages and the ottoman empire relayed havily on the christian minorities for her relations with other states. The greak mercantile nobility of Istanbul, the Fanariotes (from the suberbia their resided) was the one who profited most for this practse and by the middle fof 17th cen has created a strong trust within the Ottoman bureaucracy. Later during the greek revolt many greeks will accuse the fanariotes for being treators of the greek race for cooperating with the Ottomans.

On 1821 the greeks revolted and after a brief period they managed to earn their indipendancy, mainly due to the support of the great power (Great Britain, France and Russia). Most of the Fanariotes, who reseided in Istanbul, chose to remain there despuite the Ottoman mistrust following the revolt of their compatriots. After 50 years the Grek state would begin having dreams of recreate the Byzantine empire in the place of the Ottoman and in 1897 a new war will be break between the Kingdom of Greece and the Ottoman empire.

Game Idea(What follows is fiction)
In the mainwhile the Fanariotes throught their english and german associates will have already come in contact with the Eugecnics League and become the first to try to amelirorate their genome. By the 1880 most of the new generations are Alphas. The Fanariotes know that the Greek Kingdom is a puppet state for the Great Britain and the benefits they have in the Ottoman empire will soon vanish if the Greek dreams of the Byzantine Empire become real. Thus they fund the reorganasation of the Ottoman imperial army and demand the extinction of the non-alphas greeks, which soon becomes the main police of the Ottoman empire following the defeat of the Kingdom of Greece in the war of 1897.

A hundred years later the Ottoman empire, following the oil and coal resources found is a state quickly develloping and the Fanariotes are the bureaucracy behind this.

The players will be either beta greeks trying to oust the Ottomans or Alpha Greeks (Fanariotes) working along side those who drove teir nation to extinction trying to postpone for us much as they can the german war machine from kicking in the Balkans.
[/b]
"Do androids dream of ellectrical sheep?"
Philip K. Dick
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Just from a timeline point of view, EL breeding programmes have only come fruition in the latter part of the twentieth century, all Alphas are under 30 years of age circa 1984.
yperiwn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by yperiwn »

I know, I decided to change it in my campaign
Philip K. Dick
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Cool
yperiwn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by yperiwn »

After reviewing the whole scenario again I decided that afte all there is no need to change the timeline given by the Etherscope core rulebook.
Philip K. Dick

Return to “Etherscope”