Desearch Design- Game style and choice

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Valen200
Ill-Fated Peasant

Desearch Design- Game style and choice

Post by Valen200 »

I am an undergrad student at Columbia College at Columbia, Missouri. As part of academic graduation requirements I need to conduct research and write a paper to get an idea of how the process works. Because of my interest in gaming (of all types) I chose to focus on the area of gaming style and preference.

Below this point is my informed consent statement. By clicking the link provided you are agreeing to give consent to participate in the research.

Feel free to reply to the op with questions in addition to using the contact information provided.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Informed Consent Statement
This email is being sent to you to ask you to participate in a research study designed to study gaming preferences. You will be asked to rate items on a scale based on your gaming habits. Your participation should take a few minutes.
If you choose to participate, it is important that you respond to the questions as honestly as you can. None of the questions measure mental disorders, and there are no right or wrong answers to any questions. Because your answers to some questions might change somewhat from day to day, I would like you to use your three most recent gaming experiences for your frame of reference for answering questions. In other words, answer questions in accordance with how you have typically felt during three most recent gaming experiences.
Your name will not be connected in any way with the questionnaire data. The questionnaire includes only demographic information that cannot and will not be used to identify you. Your personal responses will be held in the strictest confidence throughout the research project. Data collected will only be used in aggregate form. You may choose not to participate in this project. There will be no penalty if you choose not to participate or if you discontinue participation.
The results of this project will be used for a class project and presentation.
If you have questions about this project, you may contact Daniel Loyd by mail at: Columbia College, 1001 Rogers St., Columbia, MO 65216, by phone at: 573-499-1939 (work phone), or by email at: deloyd1@cougars.ccis.edu.
There is no financial compensation for your participation. If you are willing to participate in this research project, please click on the link below to acknowledge your informed consent and begin the questionnaire:

https://docs.google.com/a/cougars.ccis. ... b09fMXc6MQ
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Desearch Design- Game style and choice

Post by JediOre »

We'll I went out and filled out the questionnaire.

Mr. Lloyd, I wish you well with your research.

You'll need to give us a summary of your findings!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm not sure about some of the questions...

"How strongly do you agree with the statement 'I enjoy consistent atmosphere and setting rules when I game?'"
Are we talking about the atmosphere of the story, or the atmosphere of the place where the gaming is done? I think you mean the story, but then again, I'm not clear on what "setting rules" are -- is that the game system itself? Not being sure what these things are means I'm not sure how to rate them or if I even rate them the same...

"How strongly do you agree with the statement 'I enjoy defining personal motives when I play a game?'"
Is this my own motivation for playing the game, or an in-character motivation?

The "Preference" questions seem odd; I either prefer the first-mentioned game, or I don't play either of them / am neutral in preference. Am I correct that there is no option to prefer the second-mentioned game over the first?

There seems to be a strong emphasis on RPGs, but throwing in arcade-style games, etc., makes me wonder if those are supposed to be counted in my "three most recent" gaming experiences, or not...

I've filled out the questionnaire, but I think maybe I'll close it and just re-do it, depending on if there is a response to this post...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Valen200
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Valen200 »

Sadly, If I clarify too much I am giving you instructions that participants on other forums would not have. I will post later tonight the links to the other forums where I have been asked questions. Boardgame Geek, Vgchatz, Gateworld, and a few others have been actively asking.

What I can say is that you are not alone in your confusion. I have recieved much feedback about the style of those questions. I would do it very differently.
Valen200
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Valen200 »

As a quick addendum I will say that if anyone wants to participate, please fill the form out to the best of your understanding. It has problems, and If I give new instructions to one group but not others my data might be spiked. And it would also not longer be the same as the previous data.

thankfully, this is alearning experience.

If you post your concerns it will be taken into account when I write my paper.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Valen200 wrote:...thankfully, this is a learning experience....
Exactly. :D
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Everything Else”