Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some thoughts about racial abilites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 am 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

During a recent re-reading of the beta rules, I noticed that while the dwarves add their level as bonus to their skill checks to notice traps, slanting passages, shifting walls and new construction, the elves receive a flat +4 to detect secret doors. Is their any reason why these work different?
Another thing I found interesting is that dwarves and halflings don't get any bonuses to their saving throws vs magic or poison, while elves are immune to sleep and paralysis.

After playing D&D for years, some of these classical racial abilities (infravision, resistances) seem to be natural, and everything that's different seems strange. The only question is, did these have any roots in Appendix N? I didn't read everything from the appendix, but in those rare novels which are on the list and did include demihumans, I don't recall any, which included infravision, halflings being good with slings, dwarves resisting magic easier, elves resisting sleep and charm spells or an elf facing a ghoul. :) Did I miss something, or are these mostly the creations of game designers of yore? Can you collect the literary sources of racial abilites?

Post subject: Re: Some thoughts about racial abilites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:36 pm 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

This has been discussed before. The game is inspired by Appendix N, but with an eye toward drawing in D&D players. The whole cleric class has been a point of contention here. Customers of Goodman Games existing products are the target of the game and as such the game does not stray from D&D's "roots", ironically also inspired by Appendix N.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

jmucchiello wrote:
The whole cleric class has been a point of contention here.
Yeah, and the more I think about it the more I'm going to encourage my players to pick non-cleric class options. Clerics just don't seem to fit the style of the game I imagine.

Once you take clerics out healing becomes a premium and undead get a lot more scary. Those factors alone would seem to be a bonus. :wink:

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:37 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Ravenheart87 wrote:
During a recent re-reading of the beta rules, I noticed that while the dwarves add their level as bonus to their skill checks to notice traps, slanting passages, shifting walls and new construction, the elves receive a flat +4 to detect secret doors. Is their any reason why these work different?

Not that I can remember. :) Good catch...probably two rules I wrote at different times and didn't catch the discrepancy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Oh, it's simple, actually.

Dwarves are by their very nature creative and learn things well, so as they advance they become better and better at what they do.

Elves have a lot of natural talent but are basically stupid and never learn from their mistakes.

I'm surprised that you did not know this. :lol:

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 am 

finarvyn wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:

Dwarves are by their very nature creative and learn things well, so as they advance they become better and better at what they do.

Elves have a lot of natural talent but are basically stupid and never learn from their mistakes.

Damn, you're right. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Ravenheart87 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:

Maybe you're an elf. :lol:

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:15 am 

finarvyn wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:

Nay, some stupid test said I'm a gnome. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:19 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Ravenheart87 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:

Nay, some stupid test said I'm a gnome. :lol:

So. Many. Ways. To respond. To that... -- I'm speechless. :?

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]