Skeptical about Castle Blackmoor...

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Yamo
Gongfarmer

Skeptical about Castle Blackmoor...

Post by Yamo »

Twenty dungeon levels in 192 pages, including table of contents, introduction, art and possibly an index? That's less that ten pages per level. Seems like each level would have to be either very small or very empty...

It seems like a project like this needs much, much more space. 300-400 pages at least.

I'd like to be excited about this product, but it seems far too ambitious for such a limited amount of room.
Havard
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Skeptical about Castle Blackmoor...

Post by Havard »

Yamo wrote:Twenty dungeon levels in 192 pages, including table of contents, introduction, art and possibly an index? That's less that ten pages per level. Seems like each level would have to be either very small or very empty...

It seems like a project like this needs much, much more space. 300-400 pages at least.

I'd like to be excited about this product, but it seems far too ambitious for such a limited amount of room.
There is a review of this product here: http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/view ... f=27&t=503

Although I agree with you that more pages would have been preferrable, the insider comment sections by Dave Arneson himself makes me glad I own this book. Looking back at it now, I think I they should have cut most of not all of the stat blocks and just listed page references in the monster manual. That would have let them put more stuff in, and also would have made the book more useful for fans of other editions.

BTW, I realize that the initial post was made a long time ago, but I could not resist commenting :)

-Havard
The Comeback Inn The Forum for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor!
My Blackmoor Blog
THE PIAZZA <-- The place to talk about MYSTARA and the Old TSR worlds.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

2005! :shock: That is an old post.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Yeah. I was so excited to see a Blackmoor post and then I looked at the OP date ... um ... that is a long time ago. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

So how do we let Yamo know his post was responded to in a timely manner? He may not be checking in much these days! :lol:
Havard
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Havard »

finarvyn wrote:Yeah. I was so excited to see a Blackmoor post and then I looked at the OP date ... um ... that is a long time ago. :P
Sorry, I will try to behave... :oops:

-Havard
The Comeback Inn The Forum for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor!
My Blackmoor Blog
THE PIAZZA <-- The place to talk about MYSTARA and the Old TSR worlds.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Don't frett it. I was just surprised to see it float to the top and bummed that it didn't have more Blackmoor goodness in the thread.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”