Zombies! What is good and what is bad?

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Zombies! What is good and what is bad?

Post by DCCfan »

My group wants to play a modern zombie survival game. What games are worth checking out and which ones should I avoid?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Zombies! What is good and what is bad?

Post by mythfish »

I assume you're talking RPG and not board game?

I'm told "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" is the way to go, but I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

You are right. I'm asking about RPG's. I have also heard that All Flesh Must Be Eaten is the game of choice now. Has anyone played it? Is it just the popular choice right now or is it really a good game?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

I played it twice, a one-shot (enjoyed it a lot) and a 5-weeks game.

I can tell you it's similar to World of Darkness if you look at how skills are managed.
You have core STATS with a max of 5 dots in 'em, and skills with again i think a max of 5 dots in them (i'm not sure about this)

Unfortunately, I think the system is just as good for a good DM that needs to wing a quick adventure on the fly, as it is bad for a player that cares about mechanics.

For example, the base mechanic is : roll a d10, adding the points you have in a STAT plus the points you have in a skill (eg: kung fu kick to the zombie's face: roll 1d10+STRENGTH+(Martial Arts).
I think I remember that success is 9 or so.
See, it's fairly easy to have character go up to 4 STR, and 4 Martial Arts (or even more)... then just roll for success! :/

It was fun to blast Satan's through its own face with my glowing holy bandages that came straight from heavens, but it really didn't feel challenging or scary...

What I mean is, the GM might be very good, and if you're intent at playing with a sense of dread and stuff ok, then you can have fun. But you really have to convince yourself it's scary and try not to realize how easily broken the system can be if you just give in to the allure of power (which should be the way to go, in a survivalistic horror game!!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd suggest you to play World of Darkness (mortal), it's balanced and reliable. You can just make stuff up or find "zombie"stats around in books or websites. It won't let you down.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

If I recall correctly, All Flesh Must Be Eaten uses the same basic game system as other Eden Games products, including Army of Darkness, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and others.

While I haven't played AFMBE, I did run some BtVS a few times and we really enjoyed it. (We started with a d20 CoC game and I switched to BtVS because I didn't like the d20 system much...) It's pretty cinematic and seems to run smoothly.

Just my two coppers....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to use one of the rule systems that I already have and just add the zombie apocalypse.

abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

DCCfan wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to use one of the rule systems that I already have and just add the zombie apocalypse.
I think that's the best idea.. what systems where you thinking of adapting?
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Hey ... how 'bout DCC RPG with Zombies!

If you want a modern-era game, simply get rid of the spellcaster classes and focus on fighters and thieves, then remove the ancient weapons and substitute a list from d20 Modern. Probably a quick fix. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I think I will use D20 modern as finarvyn suggested.

Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

Probably way too late to be of use, but our group had a huge blast playing AFMBE. I think the key was that we tried our best to create and play ourselves as characters insteadof creating idealized PCs. I personally have a pretty bad skill set and fitness level for zombie apocalypse survivability, so it made for a real nail-biting campaign.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger

Return to “Everything Else”