Thoughts on a spell conversion.

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Thoughts on a spell conversion.

Post by JediOre »

Howdy all,

I'm going to take Nightwing through "The Golden Auroch" from DCC #29- The Adventure Begins and I would love some feedback on my quick attempt to convert the new third level spell Andrew Hind introduces here. It is called Sand Blast.

Here's my attempt at a 3rd level spell (sorry about the table not pasting properly):

Sand Blast

Level: Wizard 3
Range: 25ft. base + 5' per level
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 1 action
Save: Reflex against being knocked prone

General: With this spell you turn sand, either a pouch-full carried on your person or that which is naturally occurring within your five-foot space, into a deadly ray that blasts towards a single target you designate. In order to strike the target, you must make a touch attack. In addition, those struck by the blast must save or be knocked prone.

Manifestation:
1. A gritty jet of sand.
2. A fused ball of sand.
3. A sand javelin.

Check Result
1-11 Fail. Spell lost.
12-13 Fail. Spell retained.
14-15 Weak blast. If struck, the target takes 1d6 damage. Target saves at +1.
16-17 Wizard gets +1 to hit. If struck, the target takes 2d6 damage.
18-19 Wizard gets +1 to hit. If struck, the target takes 2d6 damage. Target saves at -1.
20-21 Wizard gets +2 to hit. If struck, the target takes 3d6 damage. Target saves at -2.
22-23 Wizard gets +2 to hit. If struck, the target takes 4d6 damage. Target saves at -3.
24-25 Wizard gets +3 to hit. If struck, the target takes 5d6 damage. Target saves at -4.
26-27 Wizard gets +3 to hit. If struck, the target takes 6d6 damage. Target saves at -5.
28-29 Wizard gets +4 to hit. If struck, the target takes 7d6 damage. Target saves at -6. In addition, the target must make a Fortitude save or spend the next action coughing from the sand.
30-31 Wizard gets +4 to hit. If struck, the target takes 8d6 damage. Target saves at -7. In addition, the target must make a Fortitude save or spend the next two rounds coughing from the sand.
32+ Wizard gets +5 to hit. If struck, the target takes 9d6 damgae. Target saves at -8. In addition, target must make a Fortitude save or die choking on the sand. If the target makes the save, the target loses the next three rounds due to coughing from the sand.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Re: Thoughts on a spell conversion.

Post by Ducaster »

I quite like it. I think the damage at upper levels is a wee bit too much for my personal tastes, instead I would favor adding additional Sand appropriate effects such as blinding rather than pile on the d6's. But looks good so far! :D
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Nice work, JediOre. I like the overall chart you've put together. As Ducaster suggested, it may be a tad powerful at the upper end, but on the other hand how often will a wizard get to roll that high on the chart? Maybe it's a non-issue.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

finarvyn wrote:Nice work, JediOre. I like the overall chart you've put together. As Ducaster suggested, it may be a tad powerful at the upper end, but on the other hand how often will a wizard get to roll that high on the chart? Maybe it's a non-issue.
Thanks for the feedback guys. My concern is I'm not sure the spell is powerful enough!

With no third level spells to gauge against, I wanted this spell to out perform the first level examples.

The original spell, as outlined in the 3.X adventure caps at 8d6 for 12th level casters. That was one of the guide lines I used in this 5-minute conversion.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”