Playtest in Connecticut

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Icetower
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Playtest in Connecticut

Post by Icetower »

First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm really enjoying what I've seen and played with so far, lots of great ideas and a nice flavor to the art direction. (Love the maps!)

Second of all, I really appreciate the fact that I can use my GameScience dice. Most of them bought in GenCon's past from Col. Zocchi himself. So, of the dice conventions, I approve. On a side note, anyone curious about getting the dice just needs to understand that you may have to do a little clipping, sanding or inking on them. Any gamer worth his salt has some tools just for this task, most likely borrowed from your mini's box.

I ran Portal Under the Stars with three players. Each had four level 0's. The Funnel worked great, the players enjoying the process and doing it quickly. We first made three characters each, but I realized they would be toast with nine, so in just about two minutes they each made one more. Quick, easy to use and fun. Nice.

One moment of note from the character generation process. When a player rolled for his pushcart's contents, he got 4) your dead. One player actually thought that it meant the character was killed, but I explained that it's more likely a Monty Python reference. Perhaps Putting (Bring out your dead!) after the text (your dead) would help in that regard. (That regard being gaming geeks that can't reference Python. Pshaw!)

Play went rather smoothly, I would make use of Luck checks most of all. As a player ran from the horned snake, he tried to open a door. I called for a Luck roll to open it.
I also used Luck for characters rolling out of the way of the Statue's flame finger.

One issue I ran into was more than one character trying a task. The characters decided to gang up and pool their strength to ram the pushcart into a door. After asking what the total bonus would be for all their strength, they came up with -4.
I then said that one character had a better chance to open the door than all of them being able to team up and ram a cart at velocity to bust it.
Fluke of the rules, or cool coincidence, I don't know. Most likely I missed something in the rules that mentions grouping up for a task. Please let me know if I did.

Also, is there a rule for a character trying a task more than once? I assume it's a one shot deal. You fail, you lose.

I'll spare all the boring details and just say it was a TPK. But the players loved the game. All of them downloaded the Beta and I'm sure at least one will be buying the game. We all had Zocchi dice already. (Love having a use for them!)

Most of my other questions were answered in the FAQ.
I'm looking forward to trying some level 5's with the next adventure. I'll try the new Cleric and Thief rules then as well.

I'll be preordering!

Two quick opinion's: I think a box set containing Zocchi dice is a great idea, and I haven't tested the thief yet, but I liked the idea of the nostalgic % rolls.
-Daniel W. Cisek-
See my gaming blog at orcsamongus!
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Re: Playtest in Connecticut

Post by Ducaster »

Good catch on the group task thing. No I don't think the rules as they are mention that yet. Here's hoping you thread sparks off some direction in that at least!
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

Icetower wrote:One moment of note from the character generation process. When a player rolled for his pushcart's contents, he got 4) your dead. One player actually thought that it meant the character was killed, but I explained that it's more likely a Monty Python reference. Perhaps Putting (Bring out your dead!) after the text (your dead) would help in that regard. (That regard being gaming geeks that can't reference Python. Pshaw!)
It would have to say "You're dead" to mean the character died. "Your dead" is possessive.
Abchiptop
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Abchiptop »

Just so you're aware, the thief skills have changed to d20. I believe the reason was "it's overcomplicated old school for the sale of being overcomplicated and old school"or something to that effect.
In all honesty, you're just rounding the check either up our down no more than 3%, honestly not a major change in the grand scheme of things, and easier to track

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”