What some players will do, a CCD campaign

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

What some players will do, a CCD campaign

Post by Playwithbob »

Let’s say your party has completed the 1st adventure in interludes. They encountered the ooze in the pit in the dungeon below and lewered the wererat into it during the final encounter.

Taking that as a good omen hey start playing lip service to "Oozamar" and begin bringing animals and subdued npc monsters to the pit for sacrifice (poor Slizzik).

Enter The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho. Something is definitely wrong in the woods around Logbars cave. The characters while exploring and encountering the slightly twisted monsters within decide that Oozamar is calling them to him and that I as a DM have provided them with a way to bring a new god into the realms with them as high priests. (Which I will not confirm or deny and that drives them crazy.)

With great religious fevor they are slaughtering the "unbelievers" who have desecrated Oozamar's chaple.

We are not done with The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho yet. We just hit the lake on the 2nd level. 2 of the characters have died thus far, (I roll in the open, intelligent mobs are well intelligent and players take their lumps). One of the players who's barbarian had died wishes to roll up a cleric of Oozamar. He knows "that there is no god yet and will not have access to spells unless they wake the god" his words not mine.

I can see where this is going. The characters who survive the assault and make it into the final vault will witness the birth of Oozamar. Tsathzar Rho becomes the avatar of Oozamar in there eyes and they decide to serve the dark master. The players begin to taint to the dark ones accepting their gifts for awhile and begin rounding up more followers for Oozamar/ Tsathzar. I may even grant the new cleric spells from a dark god.

Meanwhile the Oculum Infernae gets built and the world in invaded by demons and devils.

Should be a fun ride.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Wow, that's one of the best "players derailing an adventure" stories I've ever heard.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

ditto

Post by slimykuotoan »

My campaigns sometimes go that way as well, and I enjoy the oft time they do; it brings a certain spice to the game.

Keep us posted!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Man, I'd be slapping some players upside their pointy heads right about now!
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Playwithbob »

It’s all good fun and has done something to this group that I have never seen before.

They are working together towards a common goal.

In the last few "campaigns" I've run for them, the other party members were their own worst enemies. It’s actually refreshing that they are not actively plotting against one another.

We play this Wednesday eve; I'll post a follow up.
Bob
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

:twisted: I've had a couple games like that, where the PCs get behind some crazy idea and run with it. Kudos to you for continuing to run the game they want to play, rather than trying to railroad them back into being the good guys.

A lot of the DCCs can be altered fairly easily to be CCDs. I was just thinking about the Iron Crypt (per a post to Tacojohn); instead of breaking in to the crypt to put an end to an evil menace, PCs could break in to release some evil artifacts/menaces.

Fun stuff. I'm eager to read how the session goes.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Man, you guys are all nuts! The moment the PCs start acting like Darth Vader instead of Luke or Han is the moment the game shuts down for me.

I've got a little boy I'm trying to be a good role model for and the group I'm DMing for has an eleven year old. Good guys rules!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Good guys do rule. I wrote a bit of this into "Into the Wilds" (DCC# 28).

But I'm also a big fan of the style and themes of R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk, which, when translated to D&D can make for something like an "evil" campaign.

Anyhow, I just wrote a short rant/manifesto about this but didn't want to hijack the thread. So I posted it here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =4689#4689

Ignore if you like. :)
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Rant? That was a rant?

Dude, I work in a college bookstore. I've seen rants my friend, and you sir, didn't "rant."

I'll respond over there.
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Playwithbob »

The poor party should face the evil Tsathzar Rho this very eve. Here is a snip of out last session By Arbus the Bard:
The Eternal Underworld, Chapter Again

Our choice to explore the western grotto was likely as fortuitous as any of the myriad of choices exercised thus far. Before we had traveled half the width of the expanse, we were set upon, with arrows, by the red-scaled denizens of this dripping abyss. Jacques dove overboard, swimming for the snipers, while the less foolish attempted to maneuver our crafts toward shore. Both Whitney and Montauk were stricken mortal wounds before reaching safety. Without a priest capable of tending to our injuries, we have relied heavily on the druids and their knowledge of medicinal plants. Unfortunately, their supplies have dwindled and we found ourselves in quite the predicament.

But miracles have a tendency to arrive in strange forms and at unusual times. As every effort was being made to defeat the scaly denizens of this macabre place, Mepkin rose to the occasion, and came to our fellow’s in time of need; stabilizing our fallen companions.

After dispatching the scaly critters, an argument arose as to our next action. We elected to rest and recover at the landing spot of our mushroom rafts. A short time later, we were attacked by skeletal warriors, which were hiding beneath the surface of the subterranean river. We made quick work of the beasts, with Markus dealing the major death blows with his great bow of thunder slapping (or something like that).

Nevertheless, realizing the seriousness of our mistake, we continued deeper into the bowels of the earth, arriving, this time stealthily, at a goblin lair. Making short order of the foul creatures, we discovered a smaller, more lavish (hah!) domicile adjoining the primary cavern. Defeating both the alarm and the occupant, we have established a temporary refuge. A full-nights rest and we will be prepared to challenge this hole and its inhabitants once more.

If only that ranger and all of those priests weren’t so busy building structures…
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

So how did it end?

Did the party bite the dust?

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”