What's the point....

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

What's the point....

Post by jamat »

In playing a true human in this game?

Don't get me wrong I love this game to bits and am running the free adventure at the moment ( I will post something sometime) but I see no value in playing a human.

The other "races" get more advantages in character creation than a pure human, he gets an extra feat, but then all the others get that as well in addition to their racial abilities.

Am I missing something here, I guess playing a human will be more of a challenge because he's at a disadvantage but in my game there is only one human.

What's everyone elses thoughts on this?

What is the advantage for being human in Etherscope ?

Jamat
Malladin_Nigel

Whats The Point

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Hi

A lot has to do with social perceptions. Humans will always be better perceived in relation to a transgenic of equal station simply because..well their human. Likewise, trangenics can only hold certain positions in society and will never advance, humans rule the world. Indeed the purpose of the transgenics is to free humanity of its labours so it can adance beyond its current state, the core goal of the Eugenics League. Also as playtests of proved the difference in excellence points is really significant in play, especially at higher levels. Finally, humans have that classic no advantages but no drawbacks so remain the most versatile race able to be used for any concept. thats my take anyway I'm sure Ben will chirp up on this one, hope we can help and keep the feedback coming. Thanks
Nigel
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Thanks Nigel for the reply.

I understand your view point and I agree with most of it but I find because all the other races have the free feat as well the pure human has lost his one main advantage / ability call it want you want.

In my game I allowed the pure human to have an extra free feat to compensate for this.

Jamat
Malladin_Nigel

Why Bother

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Glad to of been of help. My opinion is house rules are what makes a game unique to each ref, you don't want to know about our old D&D campaign world :) , and its always interesting to hear what people do with our ideas. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming, love to know how your game goes.

Nigel
Taurren
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Taurren »

Jamat, I'm doing the same as you in allowing humans an additional feat.

I've also found that by taking the time to RP and really integrate the social aspect of the setting into the adventures, that I've aided in boosting the benefits of being human.
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Glad you feel the same way.

I also belive roleplaying is better than roll playing and playing the social ascpect of this game is as important as any combat or other action. Especially with the social situation and value that was Victorian England.

I think in this situation humans come into their own but an extra free feat brings them back on par with the other races.

Jamat
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Firstly I'll just echo Nigel's comments about house rules

Secondly I just thought I'd take a bit of time explain how I worked out the balance of these races.

Taking (beta) humans as the base point, transgenic races get balanced ability score bonuses/penalties and one extra bonus (gammas' disease resistence, deltas' scent, Epsilons' lifting bonused) to balance this out they get 2 less excellence points at first level.

Fey get balanced ability scores and three bonus special abilities (familiar, unearthly beauty and ethersense), but don't get the feat and skill points that humans get. Maybe they get a bit much, but when there's so many skills and feats that you're likely to need, I think they're about right.

Alpha humans are ECL +1 equivalents (although we simplified the systems behind ECL) and so aren't balanced with the other races.

Cheerio,

Ben

Return to “Etherscope”