Members on the boards

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Members on the boards

Post by finarvyn »

I was bored this AM and looked at the members on the boards. You can sort by post count and I found out something kind of interesting.

The boards claim that we ahve 7692 members, but only 1370 of them have at least one post. This means 6322 members have signed up but never posted.

I picked a couple of them at random (not very scientific) and discovered that the ones I picked hadn't even logged in since 2004 or something like that. And a number of them have web pages linked to their profile, which I suspect is just SPAM.

I wish there was a way to clear out all of the non-poster names so that there isn't so much clutter there. As it is, wading through 7000+ members is a chore. (I like to look at the web sites that posting members link to, just to see what kinds of gaming goodness is out there.)

Of the 1370 "active" members, 59 of us have at least 100 posts. That sounds pretty cool, and suggests a number of people who have a lot to contribute. Another 150 posters have 20-99 posts. An additional 120 posters have 10-19 posts, 406 have 3-9 posts, and I guess that leaves around 800 members with 1-2 posts.

Anyway, it kept me busy for a few minutes. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Members on the boards

Post by JediOre »

Ack! You've passed me in total posts. I've lost my #3 position. Gnomeboy is getting ready to pass me by as well!

Real life is limiting my gaming AND posting!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I will refrain from posting, just to give Jedi a chance to -- :shock:

oh, crumbs... :roll:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

:lol:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I think it would be interesting to look at post count per day or month or something like that. There are folks who joined up four months ago who have hundreds of posts already! :shock:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

I just peeked, I only have 80 posts, so I'm definitely not overly prolific here, but then I usually only post with my maps (which more and more are All Rights Reserved stuff, so I post less and less of that). Otherwise I am updating my status with my various projects I'm involved with. If I overly do that, it would seem like SPAM to me, and I certainly don't want to SPAM the boards.

Really there are only 3 boards where I am fairly prolific, even then I have somewhere under a thousand posts with 4 years as a member. Only one board am rather prolific and that's at the Cartographers' Guild - but then I am really just a cartographer, so that just makes sense (under 3000 posts there).

I'm also not an 'arguer' nor 'ranter' so that probably keeps my post count low on the boards I visit.

Your observation is probably true about most boards anyway. Consider that the CG has somewhere under 20,000 members, but only about 200 members are active - most non-poster members there are just looking for free maps for their games...

I guess the real truth for me is back when I had the time to create maps for fun and experimentation or contest entries I had been more involved, I could more freely post. Since that time, however, I've become more a content creator for my own publications, and as stated are mostly All Rights Reserved stuff, so I have less material to offer freely then I used to. Plus I have less and less time to visit forums what with page layout, game development, etc - its eats up my spare time.

GP
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

gamerprinter wrote:Plus I have less and less time to visit forums what with page layout, game development, etc - its eats up my spare time.
Change "page layout, game development, etc" with "family, crazy job, etc" and I am right there with you! :lol:

Return to “Everything Else”