Older edition of Call of Cthulhu why?

A forum dedicated to our new line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu adventure modules.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Dragnmoon
Gongfarmer

Older edition of Call of Cthulhu why?

Post by Dragnmoon »

I am unsure of the differences between Editions, But why are Age of Cthulhu Adventures using 5.6 Edition instead of 6th?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Older edition of Call of Cthulhu why?

Post by GnomeBoy »

I can't answer that, but I do know that if the differences between 5 and 6 are anything like the differences between 3 and 4 and 5, then it's nothing to worry about...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Yeah, there's not measurable difference between 5.6 and 6th editions. I personally prefer the 5.6 edition cause the layout and design of the book is more clear to me. The 6th edition has all that funky "burned and torn" page edges that encroach about an inch or more into the page. The quirky design is just too over-the-top for me.
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Jon has the right of it here. The changes between 5.6 and 6 are nugatory—really nothing at all, if memory serves, save for a switch to a hard-to-read layout and perhaps some expansion to the appendices. Chaosium has traditionally taken an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" policy, and you really don't need 6th Edition if you already have 5.5 or 5.6.

The change from 5.0 to 5.5 was greater, involving (again going by memory here) changes to skills (mostly base numbers 0% versus 1%) and changes to weapon impale classifications, as well as the inclusion of HPL's Call of Cthulhu short story and cosmetic changes.

My take, judging by what I've frequently read online, is that 5.6 is the most popularly played edition.

Of course, 7th Edition is due to be released this year, so all this discussion may be for naught! ;)
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
einstein
Gongfarmer

Post by einstein »

Thanks Rick Maffei for the update information.

Return to “Age of Cthulhu”