An interesting PBF Phenomenon - Threeliloquy

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

wavemotion
Far-Sighted Wanderer

An interesting PBF Phenomenon - Threeliloquy

Post by wavemotion »

Something I'm observing in a playtest via Play-By-Forum. Since each character controls three characters (in this particular playtest anyway), I'm finding that the players will often have conversations amongst themselves. Witness:
Caractacus eyes Pontius: "That's better. But don't think we're not watchin' ye, either."

He turns to Bella, doffs his cap briefly and takes her goat's collar firmly, "'Scuse me, miss."

Bella, who had clearly drifted off a bit, snatches at the rope but is too late, "Now just a minute..."

Adam places his arm across Bella's path, "Ain't ye ever heard of a canary before? He knows what he's doing."

Caractacus gives the party a look of expectation and waits for everyone to dive position themselves in the shadow of the doorposts before shoving the goat down the hallway and giving it a good slap on its rump with the handle of his pickaxe, "Heads down!"
Adam, Bella and Caractacus (ABC!) are all controlled by the same player. Anyone finding the same in face-to-face games?

-Dave
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: An interesting PBF Phenomenon - Threeliloquy

Post by meinvt »

Absolutely! One of my player's had a group that included Steve, the Valiant Protector, a caravan guard with a 5 Strength and Janke, and indentured servant (to Steve) with 12 Strength. As they were setting out he asked if it was okay to swap possession between his characters. I said yes.

Immediately he got into character. "Janke, the only way we are going to defeat the enemy is if they believe that I am you, and you are me. So, here take my sword and yard of fine linen cloth. Now, you pretend to be Steve, and I'll pretend to be Janke." We named Janke as Steve's Protector and off they went, with Janke carrying the better weapon.

Likewise, another player set up a situation where his jester was running around looting corpses while his somewhat dimwitted soldier stood guard with his shield, "never noticing" the pillaging going on behind him.

I've had a ton of fun with this sort of thing, and it is the reason I'm allowing characters to bring friends, henchmen or hirelings along even when they have a leveled character.
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

One of my players had one of his characters kill another one of his characters in a dispute. Funnel really brings out the roleplaying (and the aggression!).
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

meinvt wrote:Absolutely! One of my player's had a group that included Steve, the Valiant Protector, a caravan guard with a 5 Strength and Janke, and indentured servant (to Steve) with 12 Strength. As they were setting out he asked if it was okay to swap possession between his characters. I said yes.

Immediately he got into character. "Janke, the only way we are going to defeat the enemy is if they believe that I am you, and you are me. So, here take my sword and yard of fine linen cloth. Now, you pretend to be Steve, and I'll pretend to be Janke." We named Janke as Steve's Protector and off they went, with Janke carrying the better weapon.

Likewise, another player set up a situation where his jester was running around looting corpses while his somewhat dimwitted soldier stood guard with his shield, "never noticing" the pillaging going on behind him.

I've had a ton of fun with this sort of thing, and it is the reason I'm allowing characters to bring friends, henchmen or hirelings along even when they have a leveled character.
Normally I could see this falling flat if over done but those are great!

Return to “DCC RPG General”