D5 kind of sucks.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

D5 kind of sucks.

Post by Dreamslinger »

The mailman just showed up with my GameScience 5pc. Zocchi pack.

The d5 seems a bit less than random. The large faces on the die are numbered 1 and 5 and seem to come up more frequently than the numbers on the edges. I'm going to have a hard time using this instead of just rolling a d10 and subtracting 5 if the result is 6 or higher. Does someone other than GameScience make a d5 with a different shape?

The d3 is a little wonky feeling when it rolls. I'll probably use it but I prefer my 6 sided die that's numbered 1-3 twice.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: D5 kind of sucks.

Post by smathis »

Dreamslinger wrote:The mailman just showed up with my GameScience 5pc. Zocchi pack.

The d5 seems a bit less than random. The large faces on the die are numbered 1 and 5 and seem to come up more frequently than the numbers on the edges. I'm going to have a hard time using this instead of just rolling a d10 and subtracting 5 if the result is 6 or higher. Does someone other than GameScience make a d5 with a different shape?

The d3 is a little wonky feeling when it rolls. I'll probably use it but I prefer my 6 sided die that's numbered 1-3 twice.
I vote to remove the d3 and d5 from the official DCC dice. They are wonky. It's much easier to roll a d6 or a d10 to get the same result. I'd also consider removing the d7 and using d8, rerolling on an 8.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

One thing I've found is that dropping it rather than throwing it with any sort of horizontal force seems to make the results more equitable. (I stress the word seems because it is a purely anecdotal observation)

Also, to gain confidence in it's fairness, you could always test it using this method:
http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2009/02/t ... d-die.html
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Lennon V. C.
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Lennon V. C. »

QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

Aplus wrote:One thing I've found is that dropping it rather than throwing it with any sort of horizontal force seems to make the results more equitable. (I stress the word seems because it is a purely anecdotal observation)

Also, to gain confidence in it's fairness, you could always test it using this method:
You got it before I did, but dropping the die is the preferable method to determine results on precision dice. Check video 2 at the 9:22 mark (or so) for a demo at http://www.gamescience.com/ as Colonel Lou Zocchi makes his pitch.
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dreamslinger »

QuentinTheTroll wrote:
Aplus wrote:One thing I've found is that dropping it rather than throwing it with any sort of horizontal force seems to make the results more equitable. (I stress the word seems because it is a purely anecdotal observation)

You got it before I did, but dropping the die is the preferable method to determine results on precision dice. Check video 2 at the 9:22 mark (or so) for a demo at http://www.gamescience.com/ as Colonel Lou Zocchi makes his pitch.
Dropping the die seems to make work a lot better. Thanks.

Any tips for the sprue? My d24 has a pretty good sized one sticking out.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

Dreamslinger wrote:
QuentinTheTroll wrote:

Dropping the die seems to make work a lot better. Thanks.

Any tips for the sprue? My d24 has a pretty good sized one sticking out.
Fine grade sandpaper does the trick: just don't scuff the face (usually only happens if you oversand or go too quickly). I can't remember what they are called, but I buy these stiff circle-shaped boards of sand paper (like for a rotary sander, but thicker) that work. Emory boards, if you can find one that is fine grade (a lot of them are a bit too rough for dice) works just as well.

A really sharp blade will do the trick, too, but I'm a klutz and likely to cut the face. Steady hands with that one, and getting a close shave can be a problem without accidentally rounding an edge.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I found the d5 is the only one that doesn't seem to roll "randomly" if don't bounce it (this is especially true if you roll on a soft surface, like my felt lined dice tray). I am going to rule that players must roll the die on a hard surface and must bounce it (either drop or a proper roll).
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Dreamslinger wrote:Any tips for the sprue? My d24 has a pretty good sized one sticking out.
I have a set of jeweler's files for cleaning up miniatures, and have been using that to good effect. The set was like $17 though, so unless you already have them or are sure to have a future use for them, it's kind of pricey.

There are probably other cheaper solutions. Check if your wife (or any other family member/acquaintance) has one of those metal emery boards, for example.

I know some say sandpaper, but I wouldn't be able to do that without marring one or more of the faces all to hell.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I will use my usual way to get the results of a d5: halve the d10, round up.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Nox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nox »

here is a good d5 solution. Just be sure it's a different color then your d10 polly.

http://www.rpgshop.com/d-and-d-dice-and ... die-1.html
Joe Mac
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Joe Mac »

It's very easy to find 10-siders numbered 1-5 twice, and a bit less easy to find 6-siders numbered 1-3 twice. These are the only 'd5' and 'd3' I use; the Zocchi shapes are absurd, and I don't believe for a moment that the goofy d5 will generate randomly...

I'm still waiting for someone to make a 14-sider numbered 1-7 twice. I asked Chessex's custom shop about this, and they didn't have any blank 14-siders. The Zocchi d7 seems to roll a bit better than the d5, but again, I'm highly dubious of it.
weezoh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by weezoh »

Yeah, it does better when dropped. I have yet to try it with my dice towers but I suspect it is much more apt to getting hung up somewhere.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

smathis wrote:I vote to remove the d3 and d5 from the official DCC dice. They are wonky. It's much easier to roll a d6 or a d10 to get the same result. I'd also consider removing the d7 and using d8, rerolling on an 8.
I will say that I have issues with the d3 and d5. Heck, I've never really liked the d4, either.

I'd much rather have more sides, just numbered more than once. A d6 1-3 twice, a d8 1-4 twice, a d10 1-5 twice...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

FWIW, I just rolled my new d5 on 25 times on two different surfaces. A standard chessex battlemat on a table and on the bare surface of the same table.

The conclusion, the d5 only works on a hard flat surface:

25 rolls on a vinyl mat: 1x12, 2x0, 3x4, 4x4, 5x4

25 rolls on a smooth wood table: 1x2, 2x4, 3x8, 4x4, 5x7
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

What issues are people having with the d3? I like rolling it but it is a bit ugly with the Rock/Paper/Scissors letters on it.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

bholmes4 wrote:What issues are people having with the d3? I like rolling it but it is a bit ugly with the Rock/Paper/Scissors letters on it.
I really don't like the R, P, S on the d3. They are an odd conceit and much more visible than the actual numbers.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

finarvyn wrote:I'd much rather have more sides, just numbered more than once. A d6 1-3 twice, a d8 1-4 twice, a d10 1-5 twice...
Yup. Me too.
Coffeedragon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Coffeedragon »

Lennon V. C. wrote:Here is a crazy d5 you can buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/D5-die-rolling-log- ... _500wt_922
I think this type of design is far better than the awkward shapes of the d5 and d7 that zocchi uses.
Although the d10 numbered 1-5 twice and d14 numbered 1-7 twice would probably fit better from a style point of view.
nexusphere
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by nexusphere »

Fudge dice make excellent d3's.
Lennon V. C.
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Lennon V. C. »

Here is a link to where you can buy the previously link d5 and some more weird barrel dice.

http://www.dicecreator.com/store/index. ... ex&cPath=6

Return to “DCC RPG General”