New forum for actual play of DCC RPG?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

New forum for actual play of DCC RPG?

Post by Kruvil »

I know that DCC has been playtested heavily at conventions but I'm not sure if any long-term, campaign games are running or not. I wondered if a new forum for DCC RPG actual play could be created.

I think the forum would be useful for two reasons. One, we could see one group's experience with the beta (and whatever house rules they choose to use) all in one thread. Two, I think DCC has to be played to be understood not just read. These actual play threads could provide a lot of insight for judges and players on the fence about whether to try DCC or not.

If (a pretty big if, but I'm gonna try) I can convince my players to help playtest the beta version, I'd do it as a campaign. We only play every other week so we'd only hit 3rd or maybe 4th level by the time the full rules release. This would give me time to see how the game plays out over a couple of connected levels not just for the rules but also for the players --do the players enjoy the game, what goals do they create, how does the game drive them to try to reach goals and level up, etc.

The nice thing about the forum is it could just continue after the rules release. Anyone running a beta campaign could just convert and keep posting. And the forum would continue to guide possible new judges and players who want to know how the game actually plays in an extended campaign.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New forum for actual play of DCC RPG?

Post by finarvyn »

I was going to suggest this very thing, but then while looking at threads I started to wonder where the "gray area" fits in. For example, there is a thread on playtesting magic. Does it stay in Magic (since it's relevant to that section) or does it move to Actual Play since it was a playtest report and not just a theory discussion?

I couldn't decide, so I wasn't sure if an Actual Play forum would help or hinder the boards. :(

Hopefully, we'll get more and more play reports in all of the sections of the boards and not just discussions of theory. Fingers crossed. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

finarvyn wrote:I was going to suggest this very thing, but then while looking at threads I started to wonder where the "gray area" fits in. For example, there is a thread on playtesting magic. Does it stay in Magic (since it's relevant to that section) or does it move to Actual Play since it was a playtest report and not just a theory discussion?

I couldn't decide, so I wasn't sure if an Actual Play forum would help or hinder the boards. :(

Hopefully, we'll get more and more play reports in all of the sections of the boards and not just discussions of theory. Fingers crossed. :wink:
My opinion would be that an Actual Play forum would allow judges and players to post accounts of adventures either in character or in a journal form. Any rule discussions would still go in the playtest forums. Actual Play would give the roleplaying side of DCC while the discussion forums would cover the rules if that makes sense.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Well, I'm willing to give it a shot! New forum created. If it proves superfluous (to Finarvyn's point) we can always absorb it back into the other boards later. For now, though, it will hopefully be a place to report on actual game play that isn't necessarily related to rules discussion. Kruvil, since this was done at your request, you get the honor of making the first post onto that new forum. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

Thanks Joseph. One players are becoming interested in trying out DCC, so Hurricane Bayou may have a storm blowing in sooner rather than later.

Return to “DCC RPG General”