Halfling questions

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Halfling questions

Post by talmor »

I have a couple of questions about halflings, as written so far.

1) Why does only 1 halfling get to burn luck to help out the rest of the party?
2) How do you determine WHICH halfling gets to be the good luck charm?
3) What happens if the entire party is Halflings?
4) If a halfling burns luck to help another, does it get the 1=2 halfling luck bonus?
5) Why do halflings get to dual wield weapons? As adventures who rely more on luck than skill to survive, this seems like an odd fighting style...
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Halfling questions

Post by kataskicana »

talmor wrote:I have a couple of questions about halflings, as written so far.

1) Why does only 1 halfling get to burn luck to help out the rest of the party?
2) How do you determine WHICH halfling gets to be the good luck charm?
3) What happens if the entire party is Halflings?
4) If a halfling burns luck to help another, does it get the 1=2 halfling luck bonus?
5) Why do halflings get to dual wield weapons? As adventures who rely more on luck than skill to survive, this seems like an odd fighting style...
(1) was done to make a party full of halflings not be ridiculous.
(2) You choose. I don't think it is details when I'd make it a permanent choice for the life of the party (or halfling) as otherwise the luckier halfling would step in and that defeats the purpose. It mentions you can't 'cheat' the system by splitting up and regrouping, etc... so I think thats the intent.
(3) Everyone can use their own luck plus the good luck charm.
(4) I don't think so, the 2 for 1 is only for themselves.
(5) No clue!
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

talmor wrote:5) Why do halflings get to dual wield weapons? As adventures who rely more on luck than skill to survive, this seems like an odd fighting style...
Do you have any idea how much luck is involved in not cutting off your own leg when dual wielding? :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

talmor wrote:5) Why do halflings get to dual wield weapons? As adventures who rely more on luck than skill to survive, this seems like an odd fighting style...
I believe that it comes down to the fact that halflings are more limited in weapon choice, such as swords because they are too long and halflings are too short.

A regular sword in the hands of a halfling acts like a two-handed sword to them.

The assumption for the rule is probably that the halfling is wielding two daggers, but it should be more specific.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”