0 lvl Hit Points

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

0 lvl Hit Points

Post by Ze Groupe »

I take it it is always minimum of 1 regardless of Stamina modifier?

I can't seem to see this mentioned anywhere, but like many things i might just have missed it.
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: 0 lvl Hit Points

Post by Kruvil »

Ze Groupe wrote:I take it it is always minimum of 1 regardless of Stamina modifier?

I can't seem to see this mentioned anywhere, but like many things i might just have missed it.
You are correct. Page 11 under Stamina it notes the minimum of one hit point.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

And that's an important rule, too; there are a lot of 0-level characters who would be DOA otherwise! :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:And that's an important rule, too; there are a lot of 0-level characters who would be DOA otherwise! :)
Right, and then we'd have to rename the game "Traveller." :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Of course a character with stats so bad he has to be grandfathered up to 1 hp is probably not surviving the funnel. :)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

jmucchiello wrote:Of course a character with stats so bad he has to be grandfathered up to 1 hp is probably not surviving the funnel. :)
You'd be surprised...a lot of players will be very cautious with their 1hp characters, while thinking that having 4hp allows them to effectively tank. The tanking character will usually die, and the 1hp character survives.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

Kruvil wrote:
Ze Groupe wrote:I take it it is always minimum of 1 regardless of Stamina modifier?

You are correct. Page 11 under Stamina it notes the minimum of one hit point.
Coo, thanks for that clarification.

I'd add that tidbit to the guideline under Level 0 on page 14 just to make it clearer to idiots like me. :)

Eg. 1d4 hit points, modified by Stamina (minimum 1)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:You'd be surprised...a lot of players will be very cautious with their 1hp characters, while thinking that having 4hp allows them to effectively tank. The tanking character will usually die, and the 1hp character survives.
Exactly. Only 4 hp characters aren't at all "tanks" and so they tend to die in bunches. I've found in most of my playtests that the best characters die early and often in the most spectacular ways, while the weaker characters avoid danger more and tend to survive longer. Kind of funny, actually. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

finarvyn wrote:
mythfish wrote:You'd be surprised...a lot of players will be very cautious with their 1hp characters, while thinking that having 4hp allows them to effectively tank. The tanking character will usually die, and the 1hp character survives.
Exactly. Only 4 hp characters aren't at all "tanks" and so they tend to die in bunches. I've found in most of my playtests that the best characters die early and often in the most spectacular ways, while the weaker characters avoid danger more and tend to survive longer. Kind of funny, actually. :lol:

The second mouse gets the cheese!

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”