Mr. Author's art thread.....

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Mr. Author's art thread.....

Post by Mr. Author »

I've decided to put up a thread with just art by me for looking and critiquing. I've noted a few places around, that, when I post my art, I get suggestions and praise. Being who I am, I have a rather deflated self image (mostly ingrained in me by countless poundings from public school chums to a point that I became so depressed I started failing), I feel an intense need to have myself validated in some way.

I'm not specifically looking for people to go, "hey, cool, check that out," "that's really good," or "awesome." I'm actually looking for people to go, "hey, try this," or "if you did so-and-so, it might look better," or even "you should work on ____ a little more." I'm also looking for "have you ever tried drawing ____," or "could you draw a _____?"

I guess what I'm saying is that this is sort a comment/showcase thread for me, so I don't have to have multiple threads for my art. I'll post a little comment about each piece as they go up, something about the technique, the way I drew it, how I feel about it, and the subject of the piece.

Well, here I go......
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

OK, "constructive criticism" mode on... :)

You might also want to check out Andy Hopp's Fantasy Illustration Discussion Boards...

[url=http://www.andyhopp.com/fidb/]http://www.andyhopp.com/fidb/[/url]
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

The Grand Diviner

Post by Mr. Author »

All right, this first one is relatively simple. A friend asked me to show him how the classic "less is more" female spellcasting character could be made to look virtuous. This was an interesting challenge, and I really enjoyed it.

I decided the main outfit shouldn't be white, as that has become a rather overdone color with this type of character and in fact achieves the opposite effect of what I was trying to do. I also closed her legs in a walking gait and put a more gentle curve to the hair and eyebrows.

There are some problems with the face and the inking, but a good coloring job can cover those up. This was when I first started experimenting with metals and shiny objects in a different fashion than I had before. I used to just run a white shine along the edges of a shaded image, but here I over shaded and then recolored the base with a darker color. I like the way it turned out.

I also really like the way her hair came out, and I like the mousy brown color it ended up being. I'll have to use it again somewhere.
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'm not an anime aficionado so I can't really comment on the style, but I think you achieved your goal of making her more virtuous. Of course, adding more clothes would be the most effective route ;), but aside from that, the stance and hair do make her seem a little less risque than a lot of these types of characters.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Interesting. Anime style actually comes in several different types. It's the way I draw because it's the way I learned to draw people. As for creatures, well, I'm still working on that.

For example, below is a sampling of three Rev heads in three styles. The top is a more realistic style, and the lower two are differing types of anime-like styles (at least they were when I started). The one on the left is a preliminary sketch for how I maight draw him in a comic. His face is a little thin and his trademark smoke isn't there, but it's fundamentally him. The one on the right is a little more comical, being more expressive than it should be (though it didn't turn out how I planned). Ah, well. This is a bad example.

I like how Rev turned out in the top image, though. It looks nice. I might even do a whole body like that. Haven't drawn dinos with that style in a long time........

Next up: I'll show you the three types of anime styles, mangling Belle and Melinda's character designs as I do!
(insert witty phrase)
BenPowis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BenPowis »

Interesting,
Ive never really been into anime styles but hearing you talk about them helps me gain a greater respect for such art.
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

When Mr. Author get bored.....

Post by Mr. Author »

He plays with photoshop.

Here's what the moon might look like had it an atmosphere......
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Funky! You did that with photoshop? Did you start with a normal image of the moon? How'd you do it? Inquiring minds want to know...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Indeed!
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

When I say "play".....

Post by Mr. Author »

I mean fool around at 2 in the morning. I know there were several filters and around 25 or so layers involved, as well as lots of wet edged paintbrush tool and a picture of the moon.

The day after I did this, a friend pointed me to this filter online that does almost this exact same thing and doesn't take as much time. I nearly kicked myself several times.

Ah, well.......

Oh, here's those manglings I promised.

We have Belle's head (her body isn't important for this example, as it doesn't change much for the anime types) in three styles. On the far right is abbreviated realism. You most often see this style in horror or suspense manga, ones with little science fiction or fantasy element. I've only seen a few anime that use this style.

Next is partial surrealism. This is the style most common in anime and manga. You see this style in anime like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Serial Experiments: Lain (have I told anyone to watch that series today? No? Then someone watch it).

Last, on the far left, is supreme deformation or extreme surrealism. You see this in its totality in children's anime and farcical comedy, such as the farcical swashbuckling series 'One Piece' and less prominent (though famous) titles such as Pokémon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher (are we sensing a theme?).

Note that within each of these three types are stylistic subsets. For example, the artwork in Lupin III is much different than the character designs from One Piece, but both use similar levels of realism in the designs. In some cases, several styles appear in the same anime. Tenchi Muyo contains both partial and extreme surrealism, reserving the extreme surrealism for the child characters. Another good anime that shows this type of example is Betterman, which has just reached stateside and is now showing on Tech TV.

On the bottom is a broad realist depiction of Belle's head that I did on a whim. It seems older to me. More experienced. Less likely to tie giant bird feathers and beads in her hair.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Canaan

Post by Mr. Author »

This is something I was doing a while ago and never finished. It was for a planet/colonization type game I was going to run but never did. It's a scene from Canaan, a planet that seems like a paradise at first glance....warm, shallow seas, little cloud cover, few storms, light rains, sun, and lots of beaches and pristine islands.

Of course, there are giants on land and sea, and some very territorial predators. Oh, and there's that other problem, the one buried beneath the surface long ago......
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The creature reminds me of the ones in that book whose name I can't remember... doggonit... there was a book of alien creatures written by some sci-fi artist. My cousin had it. I can't remember the name, but his creatures were similar to yours.

You know, there's a town in Connecticut called New Canaan. Coincidence? Hmm...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

This is probably what will become the illustration for the Magus Advanced class, once it gets finished. I'm writing it several ways now, and I'm not sure how I want it to go. It's real hard to get folks' opinion on the matter, as well.

Alright, I didn't shade or color the avatar that's flying around because it looks a bit more surreal that way. For some foolish reason, I didn't properly size her feet. Also, the stuf she's walking on doesn't look right. I'll have to fix that later.

Heh. My mother wants this dress made so she can wear it.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Pencil Work

Post by Mr. Author »

Alright, this is a pre-inked piece I just finished. I'm gonna ink, paint, and color this thing in a bit.

It's a dasho (custom race thing for a d20 setting) is modern garb. Her shirt says "Kshatrya Chic" in case you can't make it out (Kshatrya is the warrior caste in Indian society).
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That one really grabs me. First, the fact that you managed to make a bat-girl look cute. That's something. And the "Kshatrya Chic" is really intriguing, somehow -- meshing a warrior caste with a fashion statement is just cool. What setting is this for?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Evolution continues

Post by Mr. Author »

Alrighty, I have the dirty copy finished. This is what it looks like before shaidng and background is done. This is what the colors might end up being, but I'm still unsure about her shirt. If anybody has any ideas of what color to make that shirt, I've got no problem listening.

This is also the first time I'm using this particular technique to color the background. Some wet edged paintbrush tool is what I'll be using.

The dasho are from Sacred Ground, but this is a more modern look at a Dasho. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead wearing something this "civilized." I suppose I could put it in the back of "Soul of the Bat" with the section on putting Dasho in non-Sacred Ground settings.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Finished

Post by Mr. Author »

Okay, I got it all done. Here it is.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

The Surgeon....

Post by Mr. Author »

This is sketch art for a request. A buddy wanted me to draw a pic for a pair of his prestige classes...the Grayport Surgeon and Plague Master. Neither class could be found, and he never got back to me with them, but I drew the pictures and sent 'em both anyway. I may write up my own ideas for these classes.

This is the second sketch, and I may redraw this picture yet again. I wanted to show off the corrupting nature of the Plague Master...or at least, the corrupting aspect it was supposed to have, and I redrew it to show that a little more clearly.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Image[/img]
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Latest from the Peanut Gallery

Post by Mr. Author »

Below is what happens when I am talking on the phone while trying to draw. I actually took the time out to try and color this one, too. I liked it.

I don't like the glowy all that much. I may redo or remove it. The stinger has an overpainted green effect I would like to try with the whole body, but I can't find an effect I like.

Last edited by Mr. Author on Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Yay! New art!

This is Hood. She's a character I draw a lot, and continually draw tons of variations of. This is Manapunk Hood from Crystal Legacy. There's supposed to be a Velociraptor behind her (turkey-sized, of course), but I cut it out due to time constraints and the fact I couldn't come up with a color scheme I liked.

I really like the way this'n turned out. I've been doing that a lot lately, but the jean texture came out good and the shirt looks great. The only problme here is the Manacast (her gun) is a bit lopsided, but that's mostly because I can't draw machinery worth crap.

I didn't ink this before scanning it, and it's pretty obvious.

(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Mr. Author wrote:I didn't ink this before scanning it, and it's pretty obvious.
You know, the first thing I noticed when I saw this (even before I read the post) was the scratchy quality to the lines. I thought, "Wow, that's cool... makes it a little rougher and more dangerous." I like that look. It didn't even occur to me that it was unfinished; I thought it was intentional.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I find the coolest stuff when I clean my desk.......

Post by Mr. Author »

Okay, I don't know what this is, but it's dated from last year. I remember drawing it during Intro to Asian Humanities, so it must've been early in the year. The side on the edge says "Tarna."

As far as I know, this is the only picture I ever drew that bleeds. It would probably be straighter, but I didn't have a ruler at the time.

(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Wasted Zero

Post by Mr. Author »

Here's this morning's piece......a steampunk cyborg chick whose legs are too short. I'm gonna call her "Wasted Zero," because that sounds cool and does sorta fit.

The tube is filled with green hydraulic fliud that intermittenly sprays out of the right side vents as steam. There's tubes and rivets all over the place.....I dunno what I was thinkin', but it's still pretty cool.

Darn...this means I have to write some sort of backstory, and that means I have to create a world.

(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Wasted Zero

Post by goodmangames »

Mr. Author wrote:Here's this morning's piece......a steampunk cyborg chick whose legs are too short. I'm gonna call her "Wasted Zero," because that sounds cool and does sorta fit.
You think her legs are too short? I think they're too long... or else her arms are too short. When hanging by my sides, my arms stretch to one hand-length from the top of my knee... hers seem a bit further than that. Then again, maybe it's just anime style to have long legs?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “All things A-R-T related”