Great In-Game Moments

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Flushmaster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Great In-Game Moments

Post by Flushmaster »

When playing any RPG and having fun, people often have situations that become memorable. These moments might be funny, dramatic, or caused by a stroke of genious or a moment of stupidity, but they're the parts that you remember a long time later. Dragonmech is a setting that is quite capable of creating plenty of situations one might never encounter in most other RPGs, so I was wondering if anybody here has had any experiences worth sharing.

I haven't started my first DM game yet (despite owning DM for over a year, I'm just now getting one together), but I do have a somewhat amusing note from a character creation brainstorm with a friend. My friend is creating an "eccentric" gnome coglayer with (among several other notable quirks) has a thing with grease. It's not a fascination, a hobby, or even an obsession (well, maybe an obsession), but he loves grease of all kinds. Something that he's dying to say in a game, and quite likely to happen, is as follows:

Any situation where the little greasemonkey needs to get into a tight place to do repairs to something (such as fixing a mech after combat). He points to the nearest female and asks if she has or can get any grease. Upon any affirmative reply he'll strip to his underwear, hold out his arms, and shout "Grease me up, woman!"

Maybe you'd have to hear him say it aloud in person. Trust me, it's funnier then. But I'm sure that others here have some more dramatic, humorous, or otherwise interesting stories, so what have you got?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

This ought to be an interesting thread. :) I've posted elsewhere about some of my fun moments (such as the first playtest of Shardsfall Quest, where most of the party was dead less than an hour into the playtest). I'm looking forward to hearing what's happened to other people...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

The dwarf warrior in my group would charge every opponent with little regard for his own safety, and somehow it worked out for him. One time the group was about to engage a group of orcs in a narrow underground passage, and the coglayer threw out a bunch of ballbearings onto the floor. "Let them come to us," he tells the dwarf. For once, the dwarf listened and stayed where he was. Suddenly the DRUID decides to tumble over the ballbearings and attack (despite the fact that he is famous for rolling 1's when he tries to tumble). He rolls a natural 20 on the tumble check, leaping up, vaulting off one wall, flipping in midair, and landing on the other side of the ballbearings in front of an orc. He attacks with his scimitar...and rolls a 1. I decided it was fitting that he slipped and fell. Of course, then the dwarf had to charge over the ballbearings to save the druid's butt, while the coglayer pulled all his hair out. :)

And due to the result of a conversation I don't even remember, the players ended naming their mech Sammy Davis Jr.
Warmonger
Ill-Fated Peasant

I've got some

Post by Warmonger »

I can't think of a specific instance, but just the whole setup is worth a look. The best lead-in would be Terry Bouregard, the druid. Or, as he is played, the southern babtist, evangelist halfling druid who has a riding dog named 'Mr. Teeth.' He even has a catch phrase; '...the POWAAH of the Trees!'

Add to the mix the exalted paladin, and I mean REALLY exalted. Vow of Poverty from the Book of Exalted Deeds exalted. For most people, that would be enough of a conflict, but no! I had to be running a group that had those two, AND the devoutly atheist gnome coglayer. The arguments those three get into are enough to start wars in most settings. The party's wizard and mech jockey do their best to stay out of these, so most cross-country trips devolve to the druid, paladin, and coglayer arguing in the inside of the mech with the jockey and wizard keeping watch.

And glutton for punishment that I am, the next adventure is going to center around dealing with an anti-cult founded by a haireisthai devil. And if any of my players are reading this, ignore that last part.
Warmonger
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Warmonger »

Yep, it's official. Anytime I post on a message board I kill the thread. Every time. Sometimes I wonder why I stop lurking :D
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Okay, I'll post another one to ruin your thread-killing streak.

I had to run a session on short notice, and arrived a bit early to finish preparing (make some stuff up quick). I was looking through one guy's minis for some inspiration, and he had some iron cobras, which looked like perfect Dragonmech critters since they'd be in a gear forest-like environment. I used the minis and pumped out some stats for a new creature that I was quite proud of, especially given how little time I put into them.

So the characters walked into a grease covered room with five of my new grease cobras waiting for them. But I forgot the wizard had just learned fireball. Goodbye, cool new monsters. They didn't even get the chance to use their cool special attacks. :(

Return to “DragonMech”