Designer's Blog #1: What It Is, And What It Isn't

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

UHF
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Designer's Blog #1: What It Is, And What It Isn't

Post by UHF »

Not everyone wants to tinker that way. And if it is a 'strange notion' I'd submit that its a reality that should be accepted and addressed.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Can't we all just get along?

:twisted:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Fortunately, this sort of question is exactly what a public playtest will reveal.

When it goes live, I hope you guys play the heck out of it, rattle around the bits, point out the holes, tell us what works – but more importantly – what doesn't work.

The only way to make sure we can release a solid game.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Fortunately, this sort of question is exactly what a public playtest will reveal.
:: uses Jedi mind trick ::

And when exactly did you say that public playtest was going to occur?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:Fortunately, this sort of question is exactly what a public playtest will reveal.
:: uses Jedi mind trick ::

And when exactly did you say that public playtest was going to occur?
Padawan Ogrepuppy, the Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded. Be mindful who you attempt to influence!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

:: eyes Harley ::

The Force is strong with this one.

:evil:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Oh, my will is plenty weak. But I've entered into an infernal bargain with the Chaos Lord known as Joseph Goodman.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
UHF
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by UHF »

I know that lots of 4e fans would switch to DCC RPG on this issue alone. (Me included.)
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:You didn't have to keep up with much from TSR in the early days -- maybe one hardback a year, and of course lots of modules from which you could pick and choose. Well, I like that model. It keeps it simple.
Will the DCC RPG be sold in mainstream bookstores (the ones that survive, that is) as well as hobby stores? Would be kewl to see it stacked with D&D, Pathfinder, and Gamma World at the local Barnes and Nobles or Borders.
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

joela wrote:Will the DCC RPG be sold in mainstream bookstores (the ones that survive, that is) as well as hobby stores? Would be kewl to see it stacked with D&D, Pathfinder, and Gamma World at the local Barnes and Nobles or Borders.
In theory, yes, but, as you noted, "the ones that survive" is the key phrase. Borders is on its last legs and the collective impact of Kindle and iPad is knocking on Barnes & Noble's doors. Luckily B&N has the Nook going for it but November is far enough away that I'm not quite sure what the book store landscape will look like by then...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:
joela wrote:Borders is on its last legs and the collective impact of Kindle and iPad is knocking on Barnes & Noble's doors. Luckily B&N has the Nook going for it but November is far enough away that I'm not quite sure what the book store landscape will look like by then...
Dislike, but it's the reality. Future future project for the DCC RPG: ebook?
What do you mean no?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

An interesting comment from Jeff Dee, artist and co-writer of the original and current Villains and Vigilantes rpg:

JD: What tabletop gaming really needs right now is a really solid, really accessible introductory role-playing game. The trend lately has been for older, simpler games to become increasingly complex – and then to transform into monstrous boxed sets full of plastic minis, special dice, pre-printed maps and cards selling for upwards of 50 bucks. That is no way to bring in new players. There’s a further problem in that the ‘older, simpler’ games also tended to be unplayable by anyone who didn’t already understand the hobby. There needs to be a simple tabletop RPG that can be played successfully as written by kids who aren’t used to ‘winging it’, for under 15 bucks, preferably tied into some big trendy license so kids will be interested. I’m certainly not saying that V&V is it, because it’s not. But I think somebody needs to do this.

Sound familiar, Joseph? :wink:
What do you mean no?
JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by JRR »

As far as Ebooks are concerned, I'd love to see some stripped down pdfs that are better suited for printing and mobile viewing. If I need to access something from my Archos 70, I don't need art, I need the information, and I need it fast, I don't have time to wait for it render on a tablet with limited RAM. I also detest printing something because I need a monster, or a rule summary printed, yet have to print full color pictures of a 3 foot halfling with a 9 foot sword. I'm not saying ditch the art in products, just provide a printer/mobile friendly version without graphics, as well. Otherwise, toting huge books around becomes more convenient than a smart phone/tablet, etc due to access times.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

joela wrote:current Villains and Vigilantes rpg:
Wait, what? Current Villains and Vigilantes? *drool*
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

maasenstodt wrote:The moment I see that those who pre-order the book receive access to playtesting material as well as a .pdf copy of the finished product once its ready to go, I'll grab my wallet. :mrgreen:
you and me both :)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

mshensley wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:The moment I see that those who pre-order the book receive access to playtesting material as well as a .pdf copy of the finished product once its ready to go, I'll grab my wallet. :mrgreen:
Really? The PDF likely won't be until September or October. Pre-paying is called "a leap of faith."

:: shrugs ::

I feel like I can rely on Joseph to create a worthy product based on my past experiences with Goodman Games, and...I suppose others don't feel that. Too bad.

The more pre-orders, the more likely we'll see (potentially exclusive) goodies faster.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
mshensley wrote:
Really? The PDF likely won't be until September or October. Pre-paying is called "a leap of faith."

I feel like I can rely on Joseph to create a worthy product based on my past experiences with Goodman Games, and...I suppose others don't feel that. Too bad.

The more pre-orders, the more likely we'll see (potentially exclusive) goodies faster.
For me it's not a question of faith. I don't mind pre-ordering the DCC RPG. I'm just waiting to see if the collectors box is still an option. I don't want to pre-order the book and have the box come out soon after.

I couldn't wait for the box set and put in a pre-order last night. :D
Last edited by DCCfan on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DCCfan wrote:For me it's not a question of faith. I don't mind pre-ordering the DCC RPG. I'm just waiting to see if the collectors box is still an option. I don't want to pre-order the book and have the box come out soon after.
Funny. I was so excited when the pre-order option came up that I bought it right away and totally forgot that there might be a deluxe boxed set later. :oops:

Ah, well. I'd probably buy both anyway. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Ogrepuppy wrote: Really? The PDF likely won't be until September or October. Pre-paying is called "a leap of faith."

It's not that I don't trust GG, it's that I don't trust small game companies in general. Nothing personal. If you've been around the gaming boards for a while, you might remember the various debacles from small companies that offered presales on games that were really late or never produced at all and people lost their money. Guardians of Order and West End Games are two examples I can think of. I also seem to remember people prebuying the C&C CKG and had to wait years and years before it ever came out. (Did it ever come out? It's been so long, I stopped caring.)

Also, it's a bit early as we don't even know how big the book will be. Of course that could be a good thing as the book could get bigger than expected and the price could go up and early buyers would get a good deal.

Plus I play at a game store that I like to support when possible by ordering through them.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

All valid points mshensley. I'm sure Joeseph would encourage you to support your local brick and mortar game store.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

DCCfan wrote:All valid points mshensley.
True.

I know I came across a little "strong" so hopefully nobody took offense. None was intended!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Sometimes I think about spending my pre-order game dollars much the same as playing the lottery. I'm helping to invest in something that may or may not pan out, knowing that if it does I'll be so happy and that if it doesn't I'm not out too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rich and sometimes I think about pre-ordering Rebma (an Amber Diceless sourcebook that never appeared) from Erick Wujcik or things like that and decide that maybe I'm a sucker. On the other hand, I never felt that Erick or other guys like that are trying to scam me. Maybe those dollars turn into karma somehow.

I have trust in Goodman Games, and if some economic downfall causes my money to vanish I'll be bummed, but not half as bummed as Joseph Goodman.

I'm willing to take the gamble.

Now, if it also happens that I get early access to playtest files, free PDFs, or any other goodies, that would make me happy as well. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
DCCfan wrote:All valid points mshensley.
True.

I know I came across a little "strong" so hopefully nobody took offense. None was intended!
No problem. The only time I've felt that prebuying a game was worthwhile was with the DragonAge game from GR. They made it worth doing by giving you the pdf immediately and the physical product came out just a month or so later. Even then I wouldn't have done it if the game wasn't coming out for another 10 months.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

My wife just placed a pre-order for me as an early, early birthday present. Man, I'm a lucky guy!

I'm really looking forward to DCC. What I've heard of it, it sounds like the games I *try* to run with D&D. I think it will be nice to have a game built from the ground up to support this kind of play.

That said, any early PDF, playtest or other goodies would be really awesome. I know Goodman already has my (wife's) money. But November is SO far away...
Chris Brady
Gongfarmer

Post by Chris Brady »

Will we get to see the Wicked Fantasy Factory mook rules or the awesome finishing move system in this (As a side bar, at most)?

Return to “DCC RPG General”