Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:If only you could get a transporter lock on me, add me to your pattern buffers and beam me there Saturday.
:(
I thoroughly appreciate the world of the mind that Ogrepuppy lives in -- I'll be moving there as soon as practical...
Perhaps you'll be transporting there as soon as possible? :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Roman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Roman »

goodmangames wrote:There will definitely be a public playtest edition. At this point the playtests are deliberate and focused on specific aspects of the rules that need examination. For example, the crit rules have changed quite a bit over the last couple months. But once the "baseline" is set, many people will be involved... :)
Where do we apply to volunteer to run playtests?
"Plot does not define story. Plot is the framework within which ideas are explored and personalities and relationships are unfolded."
~ Warren Ellis

I get teens into gaming - professionally.
Dragons in the Stacks: A Teen Librarian's Guide to Tabletop Role-Playing

Explore Science Fiction:
Read On ... Science Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

As the old adage goes, "Watch this space." :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

I'm in Austin, Texas. I'd be willing to do a playtest or run DCC promotionally here at Dragon's Lair or one of the other two stores in the area. Or I can help get a playtest organized or something. I've DM'd tournaments before, so I know how to keep things on schedule and keep myself together for marathons of hour-after-hour-after-hour DMing. I have a couple of groups I could playtest with, ranging from 4e-philes to jaded game designers. Or I could easily do pick-up games at one of the RPG stores, if we wanted to see how hard the game would be for people to pick up.

Whatever you guys need for the cause, I'm there.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks for the offer, smathis! Eventually, sometime around mid-2011, everyone will get a chance to playtest the game. At the moment, enough mechanics are being tweaked (and in some cases, outright changed) that only a few people have access to the rules set. The core mechanics have to completely stabilize before I send it out for broader input. Lately it's been warriors that are getting most of the tweaking...we just came up with a great mechanic to allow them to perform exciting combat actions without getting into the complexities of feats (or anything even remotely like feats). Point is, it keeps evolving, and when it is ready, everyone will be invited to join in.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

goodmangames wrote:Thanks for the offer, smathis! Eventually, sometime around mid-2011, everyone will get a chance to playtest the game. At the moment, enough mechanics are being tweaked (and in some cases, outright changed) that only a few people have access to the rules set. The core mechanics have to completely stabilize before I send it out for broader input. Lately it's been warriors that are getting most of the tweaking...we just came up with a great mechanic to allow them to perform exciting combat actions without getting into the complexities of feats (or anything even remotely like feats). Point is, it keeps evolving, and when it is ready, everyone will be invited to join in.
That's great news. I'll definitely give it a whirl when the playtest becomes available. Thanks.
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

I'm running another playtest in NYC the evening of this Friday the 11th - let me know if you're interested and in town! This time I'll be using the experience of running adventures written for other systems to do one of my own native to the DCC RPG, and am very psyched for it.
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

So, what published module do you all recommend to try out the DCC rpg with and why ?
Sean Wills
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

geordie racer wrote:So, what published module do you all recommend to try out the DCC rpg with and why ?
[hypnotic voice]
All of the DCC modules that Goodman Games ever produced. They are all exactly what you need, so rush out and buy every single one of them today! :D
[/hypnotic voice]
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

It would be cool to have loads of groups playing a common module - some sort of shared experience even though the play may be wildly different !
Sean Wills
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Will you be traveling near or to Florida this year? I would love to playtest this game. All the reviews I've read sound great.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I'll be running a playtest at Comic Book World in Florence, KY on Sunday, March 6 at 3pm. I believe there is still room for a couple more players if anyone wants to come!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

mythfish wrote:I'll be running a playtest at Comic Book World in Florence, KY on Sunday, March 6 at 3pm. I believe there is still room for a couple more players if anyone wants to come!
Postponed a week or two, just in case anyone was planning on randomly dropping by.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'm making this topic "sticky" so folks always know where the next playtest is. Coming up soon:

* I'm sure everyone knows that Harley and I will be at GaryCon this coming weekend.
* I'm also running a game at Games Plus outside Chicago this coming Thursday.
* Looks like I will also be running some sessions at Kingdom Con in San Diego in April. Still sorting out the details, so nothing is listed on their site yet (see http://www.kingdom-con.com/ ) but if you're in San Diego, stay tuned as the details will be finalized soon.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:* I'm sure everyone knows that Harley and I will be at GaryCon this coming weekend.
I hate to come off as "all talk and no action" but I'm hoping for another Chicagoland playtest in the near future.

I'm a teacher and Parent/Teacher conferences are Thursday night, so Games Plus is a no-go for me. My daughter is in a competitive cheerleading competition at Universal Studios this weekend, so GaryCon III is a no-go as well.

Two close opportunities, two near misses for me. :cry:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Jeffrey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jeffrey »

finarvyn wrote:
geordie racer wrote:So, what published module do you all recommend to try out the DCC rpg with and why ?
[hypnotic voice]
All of the DCC modules that Goodman Games ever produced. They are all exactly what you need, so rush out and buy every single one of them today! :D
[/hypnotic voice]
You mean *again*? :shock:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Jeffrey wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
[hypnotic voice]
[/hypnotic voice]
You mean *again*? :shock:
[hypnotic voice]
Sigh. Yes.

Again!

Over and over until they are all gone.
[/hypnotic voice]
:P
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

finarvyn wrote:
goodmangames wrote:* I'm sure everyone knows that Harley and I will be at GaryCon this coming weekend.
I hate to come off as "all talk and no action" but I'm hoping for another Chicagoland playtest in the near future.

I'm a teacher and Parent/Teacher conferences are Thursday night, so Games Plus is a no-go for me. My daughter is in a competitive cheerleading competition at Universal Studios this weekend, so GaryCon III is a no-go as well.

Two close opportunities, two near misses for me. :cry:
finarvyn,

3 of the Blood Kings (+1 other guy from our gaming group) are participating int he play test on Thursday night. If you want, we could meet up with you some night and tell you about the what we saw. Give you a Q/A type environment to help fill in some of the blanks. Plus, it is a good excuse to go someplace and have a beer!

We all live in the far west suburbs of Chicago, so we could pick a spot to meet up sometime. Just let me know when you want to do it.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Really looking forward to GaryCon. The game has come so far since the last playtest, and we have some exciting adventures to run. That, plus a timely pilgrimage. No better way to honor the elders.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I hope that somebody takes some good notes and pictures at the garycon games and gives us a detailed report.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

Harley Stroh wrote:Really looking forward to GaryCon. The game has come so far since the last playtest, and we have some exciting adventures to run. That, plus a timely pilgrimage. No better way to honor the elders.

//H
I hope you and Joseph have a great time at GaryCon. I (and many others on this board) are eagerly awaiting the playtest reports. :D
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

Harley Stroh wrote:Really looking forward to GaryCon. The game has come so far since the last playtest, and we have some exciting adventures to run. That, plus a timely pilgrimage. No better way to honor the elders.

//H
I'm totally jealous. But I'm glad the Colorado contingent is going to be present to "pay their respects" in the best way we know how: Game! Like Dkeester (and others), I'm eager to hear the playtest reports.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

//H
I get to be in your Saturday 10AM game...I look forward to it!
Jeffrey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jeffrey »

Just got back from the Games Plus play-test in Mt. Prospect.

I don't recall having as much fun or laughing as much during an RPG game, in the last several years, as we did tonight. It really did bring me back to the way things were in the 70' and 80's during my gaming heyday. It also served to remind me how much I missed it.

Thanks to all involved - 7 players and the 8 or so surviving members of the ERA (Emerald Rescued Army).

And Fred. Cousin of Crom.

Man, you were just awesome.

More later.

-Jeff
Last edited by Jeffrey on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

We also had a ton of fun at the Mt. Prospect demo. I would like to thank Joseph for putting on the event for everyone, it was awesome to see how some of the stuff played out.

I would also like to thank Jeff, Frank, and Dough for making the event very memorable as it is always fun to play with new gamers (at least new to us).

The rest of the players were member of the Blood Kings [Todd, Jeff, Andy] (+1 other guy [Tim] that we game with that does not make GenCon very often)

I really did have a great deal of fun at the event.

I personally played the Cleric in this adventure and I will start a thread about the cleric, the powers and my thoughts on it. My goal is to have it posted by late tomorrow night.
Last edited by Hamakto on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion

Return to “Actual Play Reports”