AoC Question

A forum dedicated to our new line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu adventure modules.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

AoC Question

Post by finarvyn »

I've got a whole shelf full of Cthulhu RPG stuff:
1. Call of Cthulhu (both regular and d20 versions)
2. Delta Green
3. Arkham Horror board game
4. Trail of Cthulhu (for Gumshoe)
* Probably others I'm forgetting at the moment.

What makes "Age of Cthulhu" better/different than other Cthulhu games?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: AoC Question

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I wouldn't say that "Age of Cthulhu" is necessarily 'better' than the other options you've listed (although AoC is specifically meant for use with the Call of Cthulhu RPG ruleset from Chaosium).

'Different' is probably the better way of describing it. It's Call of Cthulhu with a distinctly pulp-era action flair.

Imagine the traditional Call of Cthulhu game viewed through the lens of a cliffhanger serial, such as Buck Rogers or Indiana Jones, and you've got the idea. In addition to investigating mysterious and sinister events, there's an emphasis on two-fisted, rip-roaring action as well - gunfights, car crashes, swinging from the chandeliers, and so on.

That dangerous and dusty old book your investigator is carrying may come in handy (or may drive you insane), but the revolver your investigator is carrying will come in handy too ... and at some point during the adventure, you'll probably need to use it.

Is it a gaming style for everyone? Probably not. There's some Call of Cthulhu players who don't like that pulpy, more over-the-top style of play. So "Age of Cthulhu" probably wouldn't be to their tastes, at least not without seriously tweaking the adventures.

Personally, I happen to enjoy it quite a bit.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, Fin, I don't know if you meant it that way, but your question makes it sound like AoC is a separate game unto itself -- when it is a series of adventure modules.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

What Mike said. :)

The Age of Cthulhu line evokes a pulpier feel and style of play. The adventures tend to play faster and may involve more combat than traditional CoC adventures. The creepy elements are there, to be sure, but that Indiana Jones element is there too. Sort of Hill House (or Hell House if you're a Matheson fan, like me) ... if Rick O'Connell (of The Mummy) walked in the door. :wink:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:Imagine the traditional Call of Cthulhu game viewed through the lens of a cliffhanger serial, such as Buck Rogers or Indiana Jones, and you've got the idea.

That dangerous and dusty old book your investigator is carrying may come in handy (or may drive you insane), but the revolver your investigator is carrying will come in handy too ... and at some point during the adventure, you'll probably need to use it.
This sounds pretty cool! I need to look for these!
GnomeBoy wrote:Yeah, Fin, I don't know if you meant it that way, but your question makes it sound like AoC is a separate game unto itself -- when it is a series of adventure modules.
Clearly a mis-understanding on my part, as I thought it was its own rules system. I didn't realize that these were modules designed to fit into the regular CoC rules. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

No worries, man. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Age of Cthulhu”