Who is your most memorable DCC character?

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Who is your most memorable DCC character?

Post by goodmangames »

Just curious...out of all the DCC modules you've played, what character is most memorable to you? And I don't mean "character" like "PC" - I just mean any person or monster with a name. It could be a villain, like the Rat King or Witch Queen...could be an NPC from Welwyn, Cillamar, or Punjar...but I'm curious which characters have stuck with the readers...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Who is your most memorable DCC character?

Post by JediOre »

For some reason, Suto, the evil summoner from DCC #0 and the "Voice Below" have been the most memorable villains I've DMed for my gang.

The re-awakened Savage King from Legacy of the Savage Kings gets an honorable mention!

I'll have to ask JediWife, Ragnar1965, and Nightwing if they have any villains that stand out.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Chauntessa Cookie and the whole gang from The Inn of The Slumbering Drake. Not sure of the spelling but Ixnay was a real hit as well. Having a psuedo dragon that behaved like a pet begging for drinks scraps of food and belly rubs always made the players smile.

*From Castle Whiterock*
Last edited by DCCfan on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

DCC fan, what module is your favorite from?
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

DCC fan, what module is your favorite from?
That's Castle Whiterock.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
aboyd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by aboyd »

goodmangames wrote:Just curious...out of all the DCC modules you've played, what character is most memorable to you?
To be honest, mine is Sodersund, from Into The Wilds. There isn't a lot of text about him, but contextually after reading the whole module, he's the only guy who logically should enlist the players to save the baron's life. And yet his alignment is evil. And yet it makes sense that he would defend the baron, defeat/undermine/kill the baron's sister, aid the PCs, and stop the embezzlement. To me, this makes him immensely interesting -- an evil NPC who will recruit the PCs to do good things, and yet his evilness is still sensible. I think of him as sort of a lawful brute -- he will use legalism to his advantage, sure, but that also keeps order & stability to some degree, and gives him some loyalty. And he's evil, sure, but it manifests mostly as being willing to allow the lawbreakers to endure inordinate punishment. He's the guy who cuts off a hand for petty theft, and then when someone complains, would shrug and say "Don't steal, then." He's the guy who kills an enemy in cold blood, but he's smart and waits his time so that everything is in order when it happens. He'd probably be sure to have a defeated enemy's property claimed as "compensation for the state," with far too many guards to enforce it, just to be sure it went off without a hitch.

When/if the PCs have to fight the baron's sister and the guards come out to help the PCs, I kind of get the feeling that Sodersund is there, quietly noting that things are going according to plan. He would put on a sad face and tell the PCs that it was terrible but necessary to have to put her down. And yet, secretly, I'm not sure he'd think it was terrible. I get the feeling that people die around him a lot, and I wonder how much of it he orchestrates. He'd probably say it was a "necessary evil."

To some degree, he's a classic powerful manipulator behind a leader who really is just a mouthpiece. Loyal but not because he's a bleeding heart, but because he's practical. And if he throws in with the losing side, his goal is not to switch sides but instead to surprise the opposition with secret alliances that bolster his side and overwhelm the enemy.

And I get all that from just very little text which talks about the predicament that he's in with the baron, and how he's willing to fix it.

A runner up would probably be the bard from Dale of the Dead. He is a whiny little brat -- a spoiled rotten narcissist that resembles a number of common bratty types that people have to deal with today --entitled, no moral compass, blaming everyone else. When my players took him down, it was visceral. (I'll be running Dale of the Dead at DunDraCon, but please don't come watch, as my enactment of this character probably won't do him justice, so I'd be embarrassed.)
DCCfan
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

*BUMP*

No one else has a favorite?

Toth-Ror is another favorite of mine. He was such a B.A. walking around with half a broken sword sticking out of his chest. I tried to give the players glimpses of him yelling orders at the kobolds and then falling back. I sprinkled these encounters in when I could. The PC's were so impressed with how tough this guy was that they wanted to give up and run away. I had to keep reminding them that heroes are made not born. :D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I always liked Azubal from Into the Wilds.

Why? Read this thread, especially this post.

I also really liked Sezrekan and Toth Ror.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I always liked Azubal from Into the Wilds.

Why? Read this thread, especially this post.

I also really liked Sezrekan and Toth Ror.
Wow. That was a flashback. We were all so young.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Wow. That was a flashback. We were all so young.

Ha ha ha! It was merely 4 years ago.

It only FEELS like we were young! :D

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”