Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:01 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 47
Location: UK
I read the previews and such recently and found Etherscope to be a really interesting concept. I found a copy of the rule book at my local gaming store and bought it. I'm kind of treating it as an interesting piece of fiction as there appears to be no real support for the game.

Is Etherscope a dead project?

Do any players have any user written scenerios to share as there is a lack of publisher written stuff?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:39 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:39 am
Posts: 148
Location: The Great Metropolis
Whilst there's not been much out for a while, there is plenty of support available: The Great Metropolis, Upload: Etherpunk, Mysteries of the Occult, The Lemurian Candidate, Just a Delivery,and if you have the original hard cover rulebook you can also download the additional adventure, Cinnamon Rose, from the revised edition.

if its adventures you're specifically after there's two in the original rulebook, two in the great metropolis, plus Just a Delivery, the Lemurian Candidate and Cinnamon Rose.

Hope that helps,

Ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: The Great Metropolis will never die
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:34 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
If I have anything to say about it Etherscope will long outlive other game settings.

What sorts of stuff do you want for your game.

We have variant character sheets, GM type help sheets, a few other unofficial items available as well.


Not to mention a fan written novel and a few short stories hanging out.

Tad

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:45 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 47
Location: UK
Thanks for the swift replies guys. 8)

I've got the paperback core rule book that includes a couple of short adventures and the Mysteries of the Occult book too.

The more I read, the more I find myself wanting to have a go at running a game. I'm not entirely sure I've got my head around most of the details (especially scope use and how ether tech works) but I'm thinking about writing an adventure myself (time allowing) based on my own interpretations of the Etherscope world.

The adventures included in the core book will be too short for what I need. My local RPG group runs games in eight week rotations. I therefore need an adventure long enough to fill out eight evening sessions.



For anybody who is interested in why we run eight week rotations?

The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:16 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm
Posts: 12
Location: NZ
Garuda wrote:
The adventures included in the core book will be too short for what I need. My local RPG group runs games in eight week rotations. I therefore need an adventure long enough to fill out eight evening sessions.

Although Cinnamon Rose is short (it was written for convention play) it contains the seeds of a campaign.

You can get the PCs up to level and introduce a few NPCs by setting some adventures in their vicinity: a murder at the Factory, a crime in Milo's neighborhood, an odd occurance at a high-class scope concert, etc.

After you've run Cinnamon Rose, you can extend the adventure based ont eh type of PCs you have. If they're scope-focused, have them have to rescue Sally from a System Agent compound - that's been taken over by demons. If they're not scope-inclined, have them follow up clues about demon possession in the halls of power (which can go either political or combat depending on you and your PC's preference).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Adventures
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:14 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
well from Cinnamon Rose you can segue to Just a Delivery and that should cover the starting of your 8 week rotation.

feel free to ask any questions here.

Tad

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:02 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 732
Location: Lexington, KY
Garuda wrote:
The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.


That sounds wonderful.

_________________
Dieter Zimmerman
Drunk & Sailor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:24 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 am
Posts: 12
Location: Maryland
I'd like to see a world book supplement out.

Mike

_________________
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: World Book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
Hi qstor

a few months ago I started the barest bones outline of a America Sourcebook. It kinda faded into the background in my mind but I did start looking over my notes again just yesterday.

Would something like that be what you are looking for, or only the whole kit and kaboddle?

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:39 am
Posts: 148
Location: The Great Metropolis
mythfish wrote:
Garuda wrote:
The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.


That sounds wonderful.


I think it might be a fairly common method over here in blighty. We have a similar set up at the FLGS Nigel and I play at. Only difference is that there's no set turn around in terms of numbers of weeks, and as its at the only gaming store in a city of about 3-4 million people (if you include all the satalite towns) it's got a large number of games played on every day of the week. At the moment we've been playing as part of group that stays approximately the same with each game, but as we all like to GM as well as play we run games for 6-8 weeks. So far we've played WFRP, Rippers and are currently playing M&M. Next up looks like being Dark Heresy.

When I was at university the club was organised exactly like Garuda suggests. I've even heard of clubs where you're on a cycle through different groups on a rota, so that you HAVE to play with different people and play different games each period.

Cheerio,

Ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:38 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Romford, Essex, UK
malladin_ben wrote:
I think it might be a fairly common method over here in blighty. We have a similar set up at the FLGS Nigel and I play at. Only difference is that there's no set turn around in terms of numbers of weeks, and as its at the only gaming store in a city of about 3-4 million people (if you include all the satalite towns) it's got a large number of games played on every day of the week. At the moment we've been playing as part of group that stays approximately the same with each game, but as we all like to GM as well as play we run games for 6-8 weeks. So far we've played WFRP, Rippers and are currently playing M&M. Next up looks like being Dark Heresy.

When I was at university the club was organised exactly like Garuda suggests. I've even heard of clubs where you're on a cycle through different groups on a rota, so that you HAVE to play with different people and play different games each period.


To my knowledge, it isn't all that common. The Phoenix Games Club uses a cycle system which allows our members to plan what they want to play or run over the course of the year, plus it allows for official Club business such as the AGM or for social/one-off events like BBQs, Charity Quiz and Tournaments.

The reasons for the Cycle system are similar to the reasons quoted by Garuda; we've been using the system for over 10 years and with our membership numbers, it's unlikely to stop any time soon.

_________________
Gareth Larter
Secretary & WebTyrant | http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/
SysAdmin | http://www.deniableresources.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:47 pm 
Offline
Ill-Fated Peasant

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Columbia, MO
Quick question for those assembled. Where would I get Cinnamon Rose for free? I have the hardback book and I thought I heard someone mention that....if not please disregard my ramblings.

David

_________________
I got nothin'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm
Posts: 1
malladin_ben wrote:
Whilst there's not been much out for a while, there is plenty of support available: The Great Metropolis, Upload: Etherpunk, Mysteries of the Occult, The Lemurian Candidate, Just a Delivery,and if you have the original hard cover rulebook you can also download the additional adventure, Cinnamon Rose, from the revised edition.

if its adventures you're specifically after there's two in the original rulebook, two in the great metropolis, plus Just a Delivery, the Lemurian Candidate and Cinnamon Rose.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Will there be any new official releases in the future, or as a product line, has Etherscope reached the end of the cycle?

It's a beautiful game, that's for sure, and I've purchased all the books, but I am curious if this is all there's going to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:07 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm
Posts: 12
Location: NZ
MidmoSatyr wrote:
Quick question for those assembled. Where would I get Cinnamon Rose for free?

Not free, but cheap: Cinnamon Rose


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:00 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:51 am
Posts: 140
Location: Somewhere in the CAS
not my Etherscope, but it's mostly in my head


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 am
Posts: 23
Location: Orlando FL
Considering I just ordered the Core Book and was looking at the other 3 main books I doubt it will die around me.

_________________
I say good man....have you any marmalade?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 57
Location: The Great Metropolis
Merely pining for the fjords :lol: We're always going to support people playing Etherscope as best we can, there's a good community and as for new products-we'll you never know :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 pm 
Offline
Ill-Fated Peasant

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:33 pm
Posts: 5
Malladin_Nigel wrote:
Merely pining for the fjords :lol: We're always going to support people playing Etherscope as best we can, there's a good community and as for new products-we'll you never know :wink:


Hmmm... pretty vague, guys and IMHO that doesn't usually bode well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:32 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 57
Location: The Great Metropolis
Cynic :wink: Its more a case of not developing Palladiumitis and announcing vapourware. We are working on new material and discussing how/when it may be releaseable. Lots of factors have to be taken into account other than what we'd like to do ,and so prefer not to get peoples' hopes up too much but also let people know the games not dead, but resting :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:39 am
Posts: 148
Location: The Great Metropolis
Malladin_Nigel wrote:
Cynic :wink: Its more a case of not developing Palladiumitis and announcing vapourware. We are working on new material and discussing how/when it may be releaseable. Lots of factors have to be taken into account other than what we'd like to do ,and so prefer not to get peoples' hopes up too much but also let people know the games not dead, but resting :D


Hmmm. Palladiumitis - I can think of a few other symptoms of that particular disease :).

But alas, this is not the place for such posts. I will hold back my rapier-like wit :)

Cheerio,

Ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:57 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
The 'scope will never die so long as i walk the earth

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:21 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Boise, ID; USA
Just thought I'd test the pulse of Etherscope.
So, is anybody out there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:11 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
HI Davis

I am still out here. So is MadEd. However the time spent on this board is kinda slight for me in the past few months.

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Book
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 am 
Offline
Ill-Fated Peasant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 am
Posts: 7
Location: UK
tadk wrote:
Hi qstor

a few months ago I started the barest bones outline of a America Sourcebook. It kinda faded into the background in my mind but I did start looking over my notes again just yesterday.

Would something like that be what you are looking for, or only the whole kit and kaboddle?
Hi Tadk,
I'm new to the forum, did anything come of your America Sourcebook?

Is it available anywhere?

Max

_________________
maximusuk1000@yahoo.co.uk
Website: http://www.arcanepath.net/Etherscopepp/Etherscopecampaign.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Etherscope Dead?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:43 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Central Florida
HI Max

I have a bunch of notes I never got formalized
However if you want something, then it would be inspiring for me
Which is what I am looking for now a days

_________________
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group