Castle Whiterock Question (new question added about map)

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Castle Whiterock Question (new question added about map)

Post by boneguard »

It might be a dumb question that has already been asked but I can't seem to find my answer.

In the Monk Library (6B) the Guardian lich is said to have remained neutral and avoid becoming evil/curbing his evil way as well as having monk level (requiring a lawful alignment) yet the alignment given is NE.

Am I missing something here?
Last edited by boneguard on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: Castle Whiterock Question

Post by Jengenritz »

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be neutral. Arlanni (Chris Doyle, my co-author, who wrote that section) can confirm this, but IIRC he was supposed to be neutral.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Thank you for the answer

That's what I though that he was either N or LN, but i wanted to make sure.

I shall wait for Arlanni's feedback/confirmation.
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Master Pommier is dead on (or, if you prefer, undead on). He is should be true neutral. I'll have to check my original file to see if the switch occured during one of the editing rounds (there were two; one for stats and one for grammar). I would not be surprised if it got switched to make the stat block "3.5 legal".

That said, that was the most rules intensive stat block in the dungeon, and I'm sure its not 100% legal. I knew the concept I was shooting for; I just had a hard time fitting it into the 3.5 mold. To be honest, its not the type of NPC that often was included in a standard DCC (Thanks Joe!). If the alignment is that important, by all means change it to suit your own campaign. The original Monk levels (1 to 2, IIR) were only there because he was a member of the Dawning Sun Monk Order. Also, IIR, most of his levels were in the loremaster prestige class (and a spellcasting class) so he could qualify for the lich template.

I hope you are enjoying the rest of the dungeon!
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

I enjoy it very much, and yeah this was a very interesting NPC, even if not 100% legal he's very memorable and unique so he is perfect.

Thank you very much.
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

While were on the subject of the Library, I have a silly question.

Where is the entrance to the Library, it doesn't seem to line up on any maps.

Is it just sort of an encounter "that happens" when they get to the appropriate level. It seems the "Fane of Justicia" is kind of the same :?:

Otherwise, my players are having a great time. Awesome adventure.

:wink:
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

The answer is here.

Essentially there's a missing paragraphes that link level 6 (room 6.7 IIRC) to a tunnel (you make it a long as needed)that arrives at the door of the library.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Castle Whiterock Question (new question added about map)

Post by boneguard »

Well yesterday I was reading the 3rd book (in order to prepare myself)

And in the map booklet I've noticed 2 little thing on the maps for level 12 (the Duergar keep)

1) Room(s) 14 doesn't show up on the map. I've check all 3 maps and I can't seem to locate it. However on the first map the 2 or 3 rooms to the right of room 11 (near the 20s) that seems to fit the bill.

2) Room 12-24. The description talks about an X where that indicate the spot to enter Pellar's secret lab. On the map there is no x in room 12-24. Granted I can choose any wall and put my x there.

Again I truly enjoy it ands it's a wonderful product.

Regards
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Hey guys, glad to know the old girl has some life left in her! Thanks for running/reading CW!
While were on the subject of the Library, I have a silly question.
Where is the entrance to the Library, it doesn't seem to line up on any maps.
Is it just sort of an encounter "that happens" when they get to the appropriate level. It seems the "Fane of Justicia" is kind of the same
Boneguard is right, that level connection was overlooked, and the paragraph he points to is our errata.
The entrance to the Fane of Justicia is on page 11, it's the windy staircase that comes off of the water-filled area 7-5.
And in the map booklet I've noticed 2 little thing on the maps for level 12 (the Duergar keep)
1) Room(s) 14 doesn't show up on the map. I've check all 3 maps and I can't seem to locate it. However on the first map the 2 or 3 rooms to the right of room 11 (near the 20s) that seems to fit the bill.
2) Room 12-24. The description talks about an X where that indicate the spot to enter Pellar's secret lab. On the map there is no x in room 12-24. Granted I can choose any wall and put my x there.
Area(s) 12-14 are marked on the map on page 37. See the large, round room (area 12-11)? West exit, then north along that corridor. The small 5x5 rooms are area(s) 12-14, along the east wall of that corridor.

That X in area 12-24, however, is missing. Sorry about that...I even checked my original map and it's not there, either.
My intention was to place it in the north-east-most corner of area 12-24.
This has been added to the DCC errata thread.

On an completely unrelated note, I'm super-excited about the new set of prepainted plastics, Lords of Madness. It finally gives us a nalfeshnee (like Balfosa in level 13), a Huge hydra (like the one on level 5), and a bebilith (like the one in level 13).
Since I co-wrote it, I've been collecting the necessary minis to run CW.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Thank you very much for clearing this up.
Jengenritz wrote:
Area(s) 12-14 are marked on the map on page 37. See the large, round room (area 12-11)? West exit, then north along that corridor. The small 5x5 rooms are area(s) 12-14, along the east wall of that corridor.
God I'm blind :oops: That's what happen when you read Castle Whiterock between 8PM and 10PM ad trying to find something when half asleep.

Return to “Castle Whiterock”