My Favorite Comics

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

If you're a Warren Ellis fan, tune into Cartoon Network's Justice League Unlimited on Saturday, Dec. 12. He's written an episode featuring one of my favorite DC characters, The Atom.

As for the Global Frequency series, The WB reportedly has passed on the pilot (hey, these idiots canceled Angel and put on Jack and Bobby), but Ellis is holding out hope that they'll find a home on another network. The Comics2Film site has the info.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: My Favorite Comics

Post by mythfish »

goodmangames wrote: My favorite comic of all time is the Blueberry series by Moebius and Charlier -- a true classic that I would never have picked up if... why did I pick it up? I can't even remember why I picked it up, since I usually don't like westerns. If you haven't read it, do so whether you like westerns or not. It's hard to find but worth the search.
I recently saw a trippy western movie called Renegade, which after doing a bit of research I discovered was called Blueberry in its European release, and was based on the Moebius comic. I've been looking for the comic since then, but so far I've been unable to find it.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

mythfish wrote:I recently saw a trippy western movie called Renegade, which after doing a bit of research I discovered was called Blueberry in its European release, and was based on the Moebius comic. I've been looking for the comic since then, but so far I've been unable to find it.
Track it down! It's worth the hunt. Check in comic shops with lots of old trade paperbacks and/or hardbacks... there were several good Blueberry compilations, the best of which were the Moebius hardbacks published by Graphitti Designs. Marvel's Epic line also did a good series of softbacks, many years back. You'll come across them sooner or later if you go to the right comic shops.

I remember hearing about the Blueberry movie, but I didn't realize it was released in the US as Renegade. I'll have to check that out.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I'm just getting into Hellboy (was only able to sit through 20 min of the movie).

Great paranormal investigator stuff. I love how Mignola weaves occult "history" into the Reich (the bad guys you love to hate!). The premise has got me excited about owning the Demon Hunter Guide ...

...it's a mysterious world out there, and my players need to save it!
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Really? That's funny: I found the movie Hellboy a lot more entertaining than Mignola's comics. Oh well. Yep, the stories are a good mix of horror, espionage, Cthulhu, those wacky Nazis, and action. (You should give the movie another chance. There's a great scene where HB sees the "alternate future" where the bad guys win, and it's a Lovecraft fan's dream come true!)
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Hmm....that's a good argument. Look's like I'll be renting Hell Boy soon.

I'm not sure why I was so turned off by the movie ....... something about how you "imagine" a character speaking and moving and then how that vision is presented on-screen. I'll give it another shot......
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I too enjoyed the Hellboy movie more than the comics. Not sure why, exactly. Usually I like comics far better than their respective movies.

Anyone read Kurt Busiek's Arrowsmith? There's one that would make a fine RPG. If I knew enough about WWI I'd do it myself.

The Global Frequency pilot episode was leaked to the internet since no stations picked it up, and I watched it. Very fine piece of television.
King Donkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by King Donkey »

The Hellboy movie wasn't anywhere near as good as the comics. While Ron Perlman did a great job, they took the nature vs. nurture theme of Hellboy and just mishmashed it into an X-men knockoff (defending a world that hates and fears you) with the tacked on Beauty and the Beast story that wasn't found anywhere in the original comics. Yes, I am a geek. Also, they ripped off the first Batman a little too with the Hellboy as urban legend thing.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Comic Book Movies

Post by Jengenritz »

Ken, that alternate future segment was about the only thing I liked about the movie. I'm saying that having never read the comic, so I can't speak as to whether one is better than the other.

About Constantine I'm in a similar, but different-colored, boat. I really liked that movie, much to my surprise. Made me want to check out the comics.

Sin City is yet another ship of this fleet with a different paint scheme. I really dig both the movie AND the comics, as is also the case for V for Vendetta.

The blurb on the front asks if a comic has ever made me want to write/run/play in/or otherwise inspired a game. I would have to say both V for Vendetta and Watchmen fit that bill.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Comic Book Movies

Post by mythfish »

Jengenritz wrote: About Constantine I'm in a similar, but different-colored, boat. I really liked that movie, much to my surprise. Made me want to check out the comics.
Definitely do that. I'd recommend starting with the Dangerous Habits collection, which the movie was VERY loosely based on, and any of the ones Warren Ellis wrote.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Fave Comic

Post by tadk »

I would just about have to say my Fave Comic is The Red Star. Go get them all I say. Alternate History Soviet Style Massive fights, creative scenes, some really kick butt ideas and images.

They did make a d20 version, which I own and it is a fair addition to the mythology of The Red Star

All I got today
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

goodmangames wrote: Anybody else think Alien Legion would make a cool tabletop miniatures game?
Oh man...I LOVED Alien Legion as a kid. I collected those religiously. While I've sold off a lot of my comic collection, there were some that I just wouldn't part with...Alien Legion was one of them. Grimrod was easily my favorite character...although the Ikes ran a close 2nd. Never liked Montag though...

Not surprisingly, I'm also a fan of KODT (although I found the earlier ones to be a lot more funny). My wife was introduced to KODT one year when it was included in her Origins bag. She stayed up late reading it and laughing out loud. Needless to say, when we got home, she raided my KODT collection. :wink:

Did anyone else pick up the Firefly comics (they were made after the series was cancelled)? They're well done (almost like a story board for an episode). If you're a fan of the series, I'd definitely recommend picking them up.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

fathead wrote: Did anyone else pick up the Firefly comics (they were made after the series was cancelled)? They're well done (almost like a story board for an episode). If you're a fan of the series, I'd definitely recommend picking them up.
Yeah, I got those and they were okay. They were good, but it just wasn't the same as the TV series for me.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Agreed. I picked up all issues, all covers of the Firefly/Serenity comic, and it just didn't snap the way I would have liked. Still, it was nice to see the crew still flyin'. It was my very favorite show there for a good long while.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

mythfish wrote:Yeah, I got those and they were okay. They were good, but it just wasn't the same as the TV series for me.
I was just fiending for more Firefly...so perhaps that colored my opinion somewhat. :wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Comic Book Movies

Post by fathead »

mythfish wrote:
Jengenritz wrote: About Constantine I'm in a similar, but different-colored, boat. I really liked that movie, much to my surprise. Made me want to check out the comics.
Definitely do that. I'd recommend starting with the Dangerous Habits collection, which the movie was VERY loosely based on, and any of the ones Warren Ellis wrote.
Glad that I found this thread. Much like Jengenritz, I had been looking to pick up some graphic novels after watching Constantine (which I enjoyed, but thought it could have been much better...perhaps with a different actor in the main role).

I'll pick up Dangerous Habits, and go from there.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Well...I read a couple of Metabarons...and have decided I'm not a fan. I like some of the ideas presented, but there wasn't much of an attempt at developing the characters, and the storyline rushes too quickly from one thing to the next.

I also picked up Conan, and have been enjoying that much more. My wife has been reading it as well.

Any other recommendations? My birthday is coming up soon, so I'll be needing some good titles to put on the list.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

fathead wrote:Any other recommendations? My birthday is coming up soon, so I'll be needing some good titles to put on the list.
I was introduced to Phil Foglio's Girl Genius at GenCon. My library happened to have the first book, and I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to track down the rest of them.

It's no secret that I'm a Warren Ellis fanboy, but of his recent stuff I particularly like Fell, a sort of culty detective story.

If you like Conan, there's now a collection of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser comics which Mike Mignola illustrated.
Dieter Zimmerman
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

mythfish wrote: I was introduced to Phil Foglio's Girl Genius at GenCon. My library happened to have the first book, and I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to track down the rest of them.
What is the premise on Girl Genius?
mythfish wrote: It's no secret that I'm a Warren Ellis fanboy, but of his recent stuff I particularly like Fell, a sort of culty detective story.
I could go for that....I'll give it a shot.
mythfish wrote: If you like Conan, there's now a collection of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser comics which Mike Mignola illustrated.
Conan fulfills my fantasy genre comic for the time being. I still have quite a few more Conan books to pick up.

Thanks for the recommendations mythfish!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

fathead wrote: What is the premise on Girl Genius?
It's a steampunky thing in a lighthearted Foglio style. I've just been informed that it actually is a webcomic, and you can read the whole thing at http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/. But it has been collected into books too.
Dieter Zimmerman
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

Comics I've been collecting this year:

Elephant Men / Hip Flask (anything by Ladronn)
Astro City: Dark Age
Xena / Dark Xena (all Stjepan Sejic covers)
Battlstar Galactica (12 volumes)
Savage Tales (for the Atlantis story)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

goodmangames wrote: Other products: I'm usually not a big fan of licenses, but there's a great comic book I've been reading lately that would be a perfect fit into our line. This may or may not come about, depending on how the negotiations go, but it will be awesome if it comes together.
What could it be? It's driving me crazy! Any hints?
Dieter Zimmerman
jimeshten
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by jimeshten »

:D I am not a Big-time collector of comics but I love them . I am a fan of Image and Dark Horse titles, like Spawn and anything by Frank Miller. I have read interviews with Mobiles, but other than him I know little of Hindi books or creators outside of what is been featured in Heavy Metal and what I have picked up from following about six issues of Comics Journal. The limited budget I have had since high school killed a lot of non-role playing or non reference purchases for me, but Things are looking up lately, So who knows? Maybe I shall be catching up on comics in the near future.!!!
Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble

Return to “All things A-R-T related”