Blackdirge's Bargains: New 4E Template (01/07/10)

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Blackdirge's Bargains: New 4E Template (01/07/10)

Post by Blackdirge »

Blackdirge Publishing is pleased to announce three new bargain lines for immediate release. Each of the products in these lines can be bought for under $1.50, yet still features high-quality, fully illustrated material. A new bargain product will be released each week, starting with products in the three lines detailed below. More bargain product lines are in development, and will be released in the very near future.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: This product line features 5 new monsters for your 4E game. Each monster is fully illustrated and most products will feature challenges for multiple tiers of play. Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries feature all the monster expertise you expect from Blackdirge Publishing, but for the bargain price of only $1.49.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Monster templates are a great way to keep your monsters fresh and interesting without having to create new creatures from whole cloth. Each Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates features a single monster template and two example monsters created with the template. At only 99 cents apiece, Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates are a great way to liven up your monsters without putting a serious dent in your wallet.

Azagar’s Artifacts: Artifacts are great plot devices that can serve as the focal point for an adventure or even a whole campaign. Luckily, the famed hobgoblin general Azagar Bloodfist has been collecting artifacts for the better part of thirty years. Now, with Azagar’s Artifacts, Azagar opens up his vault and lets you have a peek inside. Each installment of Azagar’s Artifacts features a brand new, fully detailed artifact that can easily be integrated into nearly any 4E campaign. Each artifact comes with adventure hooks, lore, and a new standard magical item on which the artifact is based. Plus, Azagar himself relates the tale of how each artifact came into his possession in his own inimitable way.

Bes sure to check out our first two bargain releases:

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries kicks off with The Created – Lesser Golems, featuring 5 new golems created by spellcasters who don’t have the resources or skill to create a stone golem or iron golem. From the disgusting dung golem to the exquisitely crafted wood golem, lesser golems may be cheap, but they can still pack a wallop. So give your heroic-tier NPCs spellcasters a little animated muscle for the next time a bunch of ill-mannered PCs kick down their door in search of loot and XP.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: The Created – Lesser Golems features 5 all new lesser golems for your 4E game:
  • Dung Golem: (Level 3 Elite Brute)
  • Glass Golem: (Level 8 Elite Soldier)
  • Straw Golem: (Level 1 Elite Skirmisher)
  • Wax Golem: (Level 6 Elite Controller)
  • Wood Golem: (Level 10 Elite Brute)

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates kicks off with the Trollborn, a template that allows you to created monstrous troll hybrids from beasts, humanoids, and magical beasts. Also featured are two example monsters created with the trollborn template, including Ig’Yok, a horrific trollborn hezrou that has established its own trollish kingdom in the heart of a dismal swamp.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Trollborn features the following all new 4E material:
  • The Trollborn Template
  • Example Monster #1: Troll Hounds (Trollborn Dire Wolves)
  • Example Monster #1: Ig’Yok (Trollborn Hezrou)
Last edited by Blackdirge on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
MatthewJHanson
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Blackdirge's Bargain Lines and 2 New Releases

Post by MatthewJHanson »

These sound cool.

Out of curiosity, are you planning to write the lines all yourself, or are you going to be looking for freelancers? (Maybe some people from the Book of Rituals? ;) )
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

MatthewJHanson wrote:These sound cool.

Out of curiosity, are you planning to write the lines all yourself, or are you going to be looking for freelancers? (Maybe some people from the Book of Rituals? ;) )
Whatever could you be hinting at, Matthew? :D

For the forseeable future, I'll be doing the writing. Since each product is so small, I can write a couple of them in a single day. However, as I expand, I might start handing off some of the writing duties.

You know, it's funny, one of the purposes behind the Book of Rituals was to find new talent. I'd say we did that, and there may well be freelance opportunities for those who were published in the book down the line.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Syffin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Syffin »

Awesome, just awesome. I was just working through writing some encounters that involved hags and trolls and wishing for more trolls and troll-like creatures. And BAM two new trolls and a sweet trollborn template. AND it was all for less than $1.00! As if that wasn't enough, add a number of cool new golems and I am one happy camper.

The best part about Goodman Games products, and especially all the cool monsters you create for us Blackdirge, is that in my group everybody has been playing and running worlds since second edition and they know the characteristics of most of the creatures from the official 4e Monster Manual. All of these monster supplments allow me to throw a few creatures in that the party won't expect, and that makes it more fun for me as the DM.

As always thanks for the great products, I really appreciate it. And I can't believe how cheap the products were, I spent less than $3.00!

If only there was a way to get the monsters from the supplements in a format that would be easy to import into the Adventure Tools - Monster Builder . . .
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Syffin wrote:Awesome, just awesome. I was just working through writing some encounters that involved hags and trolls and wishing for more trolls and troll-like creatures. And BAM two new trolls and a sweet trollborn template. AND it was all for less than $1.00! As if that wasn't enough, add a number of cool new golems and I am one happy camper.

The best part about Goodman Games products, and especially all the cool monsters you create for us Blackdirge, is that in my group everybody has been playing and running worlds since second edition and they know the characteristics of most of the creatures from the official 4e Monster Manual. All of these monster supplments allow me to throw a few creatures in that the party won't expect, and that makes it more fun for me as the DM.

As always thanks for the great products, I really appreciate it. And I can't believe how cheap the products were, I spent less than $3.00!
Awesome. Glad the material and the price point was right on target for you. I'm hoping that there are a lot of folks looking for "bargain" stuff that doesn't skimp on the quality. We'll be releasing one or two of these bargain products every week, so stay tuned. :D
Syffin wrote:If only there was a way to get the monsters from the supplements in a format that would be easy to import into the Adventure Tools - Monster Builder . . .
Well, getting the monsters into a format that easily imports into the Monster Builder is easy. We just need to get permission from WotC to use their software to do it.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Syffin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Syffin »

I knew staying up late and working on a cs project would pay off someday. It's like Christmas morning!

I just got an email saying that Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: From Beyond - Aberrant Horrors and Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Brutish were available on RPGNow! Of course I had to pick them up and they are great. I loved the Creeping Maw picture on the cover of the Aberrant pdf. I would hate to stumble across one of those nasty looking piles of flesh in a dungeon!

As always, great job and thanks!
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Blackdirge's Bargains: Two New Products This Week (11/30/09)

Post by Blackdirge »

Hi all,

We've released the next two products in our bargain lines. Each week, we’ll be releasing new bargain-priced products filled with new monsters, templates, artifacts, encounters, and other great material for your 4E game.

Check out the latest two bargain products, available now at RPGNOW:

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries continues with From Beyond – Aberrant Horrors, featuring 5 new aberrations guaranteed to add a bit of the bizarre to your 4E game. Often disgusting and always strange, the aberrations in From Beyond – Aberrant Horrors range from mildly disturbing to outright mind-shatteringly weird. So keep your players guessing and your evil-DM inclinations well fed with Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: From Beyond – Aberrant Horrors.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: From Beyond – Aberrant Horrors features 5 all-new aberrations for your 4E game:
  • Chaos Kraken: (Level 24 Elite Controller)
  • Creeping Maw: (Level 18 Elite Lurker)
  • Grethling: (Level 4 Lurker)
  • Varghul: (Level 9 Skirmisher)
  • Warptail Watcher: (Level 13 Elite Soldier)

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates continues with Brutish, a template that turns even the wimpiest humanoid into a powerhouse of destructive might. Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Brutish also features two example monsters created with the brutish template, including Karvok Gatesmasher, an enterprising ogre who has turned his penchant for breaking things into a lucrative mercenary career. So add a bit more brawn to your humanoids with Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Brutish.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Brutish features the following all-new 4E material:
  • The Brutish Template
  • Example Monster #1: Gnoll Manslayer (Brutish Gnoll Marauder)
  • Example Monster #1: Karvok Gatesmasher (Brutish Ogre Warhulk)
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates and news on Blackdirge Publishing products.
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Syffin wrote:I knew staying up late and working on a cs project would pay off someday. It's like Christmas morning!

I just got an email saying that Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: From Beyond - Aberrant Horrors and Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Brutish were available on RPGNow! Of course I had to pick them up and they are great. I loved the Creeping Maw picture on the cover of the Aberrant pdf. I would hate to stumble across one of those nasty looking piles of flesh in a dungeon!

As always, great job and thanks!
Syffin,

Glad you're enjoying our bargain products. We'll have more for you next week, and the week after, and the week after that... :D

If you have any comments or feedback about our products, post them here or head over to the Blackdirge Publishing Facebook page.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: More Blackdirge's Bargains: Azagar's Artifacts (12/07/09)

Post by Blackdirge »

Hi all,

The latest two products in Blackdirge Publishing's bargain PDF lines have been released. This week, we introduce a new line, Azagar's Artifacts, wherein the infamous hobgoblin warlord, Azagar Bloodfist, introduces a new 4E artifact complete with history, lore, and adventure hooks.

Check out our latest two releases below:

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries continues with Hybrid Horrors – Dragon-Blooded, featuring 4 new monsters, each a strange and powerful creature born of the union of dragon and beast. From the deadly absurdity of the dracotrice to the terrible power of the riddling dracosphinx, the dragon-blooded crossbreeds in this installment of Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries are guaranteed to give you a double dose of monstrous goodness.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: Hybrid Horrors – Dragon-Blooded features 4 all new dragon-blooded hybrids for your 4E game:
  • Dracogriff: (Level 9 Elite Brute)
  • Dracolisk: (Level 12 Elite Controller)
  • Dracosphinx: (Level 19 Solo Soldier)
  • Dracotrice: (Level 7 Elite Skirmisher)

Azagar’s Artifacts begins with Orcbiter, an eladrin handaxe constructed with the singular purpose of destroying orcs. Once carried by a famed eladrin ranger, Orcbiter is imbued with its past owner’s indomitable fey spirit and expertise with two-weapon combat. Now, all the artifact needs is a worthy hero skilled with a weapon in each hand and an abiding hatred for orcs.

Azagar’s Artifacts: Orcbiter features the following new material for your 4E game:
  • Introduction by Azagar.
  • Orcbiter, a new heroic-tier artifact.
  • A new magic weapon property, enfeebling.
  • Two adventure hooks designed to get Orcbiter into your game.
  • A handy reference sheet for players lucky enough to wield Orcbiter.
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Burchard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Burchard »

I just picked up a few of these and I love them! For the price, they can't be beat! The Dung Golem is going into our next session!

I REALLY like the idea behind Azagar's Artifacts! Orcbiter might not fit my current campaign, but I can't wait to see what comes next! One of the PC's is a cleric that wields a scythe named Harvester. From time to time, it compels him to behead an enemy instead of subdue them. It's added incredible flavor to our sessions, especially when he beheads a key witness we'd wanted to interrogate!

Feel free to work it up, if you're interested!
Author: Soloquest series of adventures by Kenzer & Co.
Need a new gaming song? Check out Fourth Level Fighter. Lyrics/bass by me. Vocals/guitars/drums by my buddy, Aaron. Download it and spread the word!
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Burchard wrote:I just picked up a few of these and I love them! For the price, they can't be beat! The Dung Golem is going into our next session!

I REALLY like the idea behind Azagar's Artifacts! Orcbiter might not fit my current campaign, but I can't wait to see what comes next! One of the PC's is a cleric that wields a scythe named Harvester. From time to time, it compels him to behead an enemy instead of subdue them. It's added incredible flavor to our sessions, especially when he beheads a key witness we'd wanted to interrogate!

Feel free to work it up, if you're interested!
Awesome. Glad to hear that the price point was a plus for you. I think it's really important - especially in this economy - for RPG publishers to provide affordable material to gamers. I'll be releasing bargain PDFs every week, so stay tuned or join the Blackdirge Publishing Facebook page for updates, news, and even free material.

I might just have to write up that scythe as an artifact. If I do, I'll be sure to give you credit. =]

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Blackdirge's Bargains: Artifacts & Templates (12/14/09)

Post by Blackdirge »

Hi all,

This week, we’ve released Azagar’s Artifacts: Yarghul’s Rattle and Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Abominable, the latest two products in our bargain PDF lines. Each week, you’ll get more bargain-priced PDFs to enhance your 4E game, and we’ll be releasing additional product lines featuring adventures, player options, and more during the coming months.

With Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Abominable you can transform your humanoid monsters into the infamous “abominable snowmen” of fable and legend. In addition, this template can turn your beasts and magical beasts into cold-blooded horrors sure to make the frozen wastes and tundra of your campaign world all the more perilous.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Abominable features the following new 4E material:
  • The Abominable Template
  • Example Monster #1: Blizzard Worg (Abominable Worg)
  • Example Monster #1: Frosthorn Minotaur (Abominable Savage Minotaur)

Azagar’s Artifacts continues with Yarghul’s Rattle, a dire necromantic artifact created by the infamous gnoll necromancer, Yarghul Rotfang. Imbued with the awful power of undeath, the Rattle grants many terrible boons to those who pursue the dark path of necromancy. A mighty weapon in the hands of dark warlocks and wizards, Yarghul’s Rattle can summon the dead to do its wielder’s bidding or simply annihilate his enemies with blasts of necrotic energy.

Azagar’s Artifacts: Yarghul’s Rattle features the following new material for your 4E game:
  • Introduction by Azagar.
  • Yarghul’s Rattle, a new paragon-tier artifact.
  • A new wondrous item, the death rattle
  • Two adventure hooks to help you introduce Yarghul’s Rattle to your campaign.
  • A handy reference sheet for players that dare to wield Yarghul’s Rattle.
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Blackdirge's Bargains: New Bestiary & Product Bundles(12/28)

Post by Blackdirge »

Hi all,

This week’s bargain PDF is another installment of Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries. Also, check out our new product bundles for both Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries and Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates.

You can never have enough giant creepy crawlies to terrorize and disgust your players. So with that in mind, Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries gives you five new oversized insects and arachnids in Creepy Critters – Baleful Bugs. From the lurking menace of the sand devil to the aerial terror of the giant dragonfly, Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: Creepy Critters – Baleful Bugs is sure to fill your players’ nightmares with buzzing wings, venomous stingers, and crushing mandibles.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Bestiaries: Creepy Critters – Baleful Bugs features 5 new giant insects and arachnids for your 4E game:
  • Carrion Fly Swarm: (Level 3 Skirmisher)
  • Giant Dragonfly: (Level 7 Skirmisher)
  • Puppeteer Spider: (Level 12 Elite Controller)
  • Sand Devil: (Level 9 Elite Lurker)
  • Scourgetail Scorpion: (Level 5 Skirmisher)
Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries Bundle I ($4.00): This bundle contains the following Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries products:
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: Creepy Critters – Baleful Bugs
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: From Beyond – Aberrant Horrors
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: Hybrid Horrors – Dragon-Blooded
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Bestiaries: The Created – Lesser Golems
Blackdirge's Bargain Templates Bundle I ($3.00): This bundle contains the following Blackdirge's Bargain Templates products:
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Abominable
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Brutish
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Trollborn
  • Blackdirge's Bargain Templates: Venomous
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Blackdirge's Bargains: New 4E Template (01/07/10)

Post by Blackdirge »

Hi all,

This week’s bargain PDF is another installment of Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates.

The latest Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates adds some good ol’ fashioned fanatical devotion to your monsters. The templar template allows your humanoid monsters to enforce the will of their gods by channeling divine energy. Templars use this divine energy to smite enemies, heal allies, and imbue their weapons with searing radiant power or withering necrotic death. So bring the power and the glory back to your religious zealots with Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Templar.

Blackdirge’s Bargain Templates: Templarfeatures the following new 4E material:
  • The Templar Template
  • Example Monster #1: Blackfire Slayer (Dragonborn Templar)
  • Example Monster #2: Azer Templar (Azer Templar)
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel

Return to “4E Products”