How big is your group?

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: How big is your group?

Post by xredjasonx »

Our Scales of War campaign currently has 1 dm and 5 players. We play every Monday, which I am about to leave for. :)
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Our gaming group consists of:

2 DM's (who trade off playing and/or even co-DM)
6 players

Ususally we get 6-7 people who can show for a specific session.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Currently" we are a GM (myself) and two players. I put that in quotes, because we're actually on a bit of hiatus. Earlier in the month I finished up a home-brewed adventure that incorporated Temple of the Dragon Cult... been meaning to do a little summary of how that part went, but so far I haven't gotten past the first sentence...

I'm amused that the fellow that started this thread hasn't posted anything since 2004, yet the thread keeps on chugging on....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
NinjaDancer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by NinjaDancer »

In my group, I'm the DM and I've got seven players. This is our third year playing together, and after this year most of the players graduate college, so we'll probably all migrate elsewhere. We've done two long campaigns, pretty in-depth, running the PCs up into epic levels. Good times.

Oh, and this is my first post here on Goodman boards. Hi!
Jessica Van Oort
Author of "The Snare of the Shadow Sylphs" in DCC #48 The Adventure Continues
Co-author of Hero's Handbook: Eladrin
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Sorry to hear the game might break up (my group went through the same trials for the same reasons), but welcome Ninja Dancer!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
NinjaDancer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by NinjaDancer »

Thanks, Harley! Well, it can't be helped about people moving on. I've migrated through a lot of good groups over the years. There's always new people to meet and slay monsters with. Or backstab, or whatever.

Also our group is all women. I hear that's something of an oddity. ;) We had a token boyfriend for a while, but he kept going off to play WOW and eventually dropped out.
Jessica Van Oort
Author of "The Snare of the Shadow Sylphs" in DCC #48 The Adventure Continues
Co-author of Hero's Handbook: Eladrin
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

My main group is getting thinner and thinner. The economic situation has made people less available for gaming (taking second jobs, wife taking a job, doing Ot, etc.). My 4E Castle Whiterock campaing is at hold, just when they had found the pasage to the 3rd level, and after having dealt with some issues in town (a certain noble daughter that had been kidnapped...).

So I play a lot less now, and almost no D&D (I still play Dark Heresy, Rifts and Battlestations!).

Hyb'
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

My group has broken up. :cry: Between work, church and a rocky marriage three out of the five members of my group have left. We agreed to take a long break, but I don't feel like we will be getting back togeather. The only group I play with now is an online 3.5 D&D group who meets on Fridays. We have five members as well and it's fun, but not as good as playing in person. There is just something about sitting around the table laughing with friends that you can't quite get online.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Yikes. Sorry to hear that happened. Hope you can find a new group soon.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

DCCfan wrote:My group has broken up....
I've known new groups to rise from the ashes of disbanded groups -- one person gets the itch and calls another who he thinks still wants to play usually gets the ball rolling.... Hope springs eternal (or Hope Springs, Australia. I forget which it is...).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I have stopped gaming for now. My group has completely dissolved. I've been playing a ton on the Xbox 360 instead.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I think that the "best" group size is 3-4 players. This gives a variety of classes but not so many players that people have to wait too long before their turn.

One-on-one player to GM can be fun, but it can also be frustrating if that player gets stuck for ideas or if he needs an ability that his class doesn't allow. When I do one-on-one I tend to allow more levels and allow mulit-class options.

My current group is typically 6 players (7 sometimes) and I feel like this is kind of large and some players tend to lose focus.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My group is normally myself and three others. I do, on occasion, have one-on-one sessions which I love.
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I always liked larger groups of 5 or 6 players. That way when someone was absent we could still play with little effect on the game. Even if only half the group could make it we were still able play.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”