Free RPG Day Recap

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Free RPG Day Recap

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you all visited your local game store for Free RPG Day - right? Post your recap here!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Free RPG Day Recap

Post by goodmangames »

So here's my recap of Free RPG Day. I started the day at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL. I got there before opening and I'm glad I got there early. I was around #15 in a line that was two dozen deep before the store opened. Once they opened there was a slow, orderly line making its way to the freebies table. The range of offerings this year was great, and it's gratifying to see the industry embrace this event as it has. Our Free RPG Day flip book went fast; the stack has half gone when I left.

The gamers mobbed the store after grabbing freebies, which I was glad to see; Games Plus got some good business. Several customers purchased stacks of Goodman Games modules, and I was there to explain the coupon for one transaction. I chatted with one group of gamers that had just started Castle Whiterock! They're on level 3 and are gunning to make it through the whole dungeon. I told them to email me when they finish...lots of people start that adventure, but a lot fewer finish it!

After Games Plus I headed over to Dean's Dugout, a sports cards and collectibles store in Naperville, IL that is branching into games. Dean's Dugout has a great space with a very large gaming area. They carry two RPG lines: D&D and the complete selection of Goodman Games. They have one of the nicest Goodman Games displays I've seen. I got there after opening, but there was a nice presentation of the remaining Free RPG Day offerings and a group actively gaming. And it turns out the game organizer there is a friend-of-a-friend; he knows one of the Etherscope writers I've worked with.

From there I went to One Stop Comics down in Oak Park, IL. This is a comics shop that has repeatedly gotten into and out of gaming, based on what their local competition does. They have an eclectic mix of gaming product. From a Free RPG Day perspective, they had a nice display of both this year's product AND several of last year's products. If you're looking to complete a collection of Free RPG Day product, give them a call!

Here are some pictures...

The crowd outside Games Plus before opening

Forming a line for the freebies table inside Games Plus

The selection of Free RPG Day product at One Stop Comics
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DiasExMachina
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DiasExMachina »

Don't have any images, alas. I was at the single hobby store in Prince George that signed onto the event, Great White. I think there was some misunderstanding, unfortunetly. They were under the impression "I" was going to do everything for the event--from advertising to game running to selling and so forth. I explained that it was the store's desire and responsibility to run the event, not mine. I was only there to shamelessly promote my/our product. As a result, there was little to no traffic for the event. As I was the only one representing, the table was...ahem...a little skewed to Goodman products...namely half the entire table. I laid out 8x10 images of Amethyst artwork all over the table and jumped on anyone that even orbited close to the games. I even printed up 15 copies of the PDF downloaded and shoved them into each module.
I ran into gamers I hadn't seen in years. I can say without bias that the most popular products were, by far, ours along with WOTC's Eberron, the Castles & Crusade's book, and, for some strange reason, Paranoia...probably because the ages of these players were in the 30s mostly. Half the stack of the Goodman/DEM modules were gone when I left.
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

I dropped by Time Warp Comics & Games in Cedar Grove, New Jersey first. They kept the Free RPG Day goodies behind the counter, but provided them to any that inquired—and a number of folks inquired while I was there. The workers would ask you to enter mailing list info and then fill out a "two from Menu A and 3 from Menu B" sort of checklist on the reverse; it was a surprisingly easy way to ensure everyone got 5 or 6 items. They were out of the Chessex dice when I arrived (about 3 PM) but had everything else.

Time Warp is a great store with a truly excellent selection of board games, a rack of old & new Goodman modules, and amble (yet always happily crowded) open gaming tables in the back.

Next I traveled to New Moon Comics in Little Falls, New Jersey. They are primarily a comics shop (and a good one at that), but they also stock some Wizards' products and figures. The use an adjacent room for events, and there, as last year, was a table fully loaded with Free RPG Day items (including extra from last year) and a gentleman seated behind the table was there to explain any item or game system—a great idea. Here too, despite the late afternoon hour, I saw a number of gamers picking up items.

Thanks to all the companies generous enough to support this effort. (Luckily the Goodman Games East Asylum gives out weekend passes and I could participate.)
Here's to next year!
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Free RPG Day Recap - Comix City Too - Madison, TN

Post by kenwig »

I visited Comix City Too in Madison, TN which is just north of Nashville. It is primarily a comic book shop with a well stocked D&D section and a growing game schedule. The store has four gaming tables and all were used for product demos. The display counter was used for Magic demos and held the "goodies" for Free RPG Day. It was first come first serve for the freebies and the store was busy all day long. I ran 4e D&D demos and had everything from veteran players to first time gamers, which is always a treat.
bigznak
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bigznak »

Hey thanks for coming Joseph. It was cool to meet you. I was with the group of friends playing Whiterock you met at Games Plus. We were laughing later on the ride home about how you made a comment on how good a GM I am at killing my player characters. Seriously though, thank you for producing such great gaming products. My players love Castle Whiterock. Thanks for giving the players something cool for Free RPG day too.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

My Free RPG Day SUCKED!!

A few weeks ago I had talked to my LGS about Free RPG Day. He assured me he was participating, to the point where I agreed to come in and DM/GM/CK the less popular games I am into.

Well, I ended up being sick, and there was no way I was going to be running any games. Still, I drove the HOUR it takes me to get to my LGS to tell him in person, and to pick up at least Points of Light 2, and guess what?

There was no Free RPG Day! Nothing! No Goodman Releases except DCC 61 and the $2 module, and a left over copy of Level Up! No Free RPG Day products what so ever!

I think it goes without saying that this LGS has burnt a bridge or two and serious lengths of roads with me.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Yeah, my LFGS also bowed out of participating in Free RPG Day too. Totally sucked.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

No free RPG day for me either.

Did anyone pick up some stuff for me? :mrgreen:
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I was hoping to check out Amethyst. Thought it might be a 4E setting that could make 4E interesting for me. Meaning interesting beyond D&D World Game Days and DCI play.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Any way a non LGS can host a RPG Game Day at their community center or something?
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ramone »

Sadly the only store in Minnesota dropped out this year. I lobbied other stores hard to join up, but ultimately they declined. Upfront cost and low return on investment were the two biggest reasons cited. I'd really like to see this come back (and come back big) to Twin Cities. I'm perplexed as to why they are so reluctant.

:(
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Ramone wrote:Sadly the only store in Minnesota dropped out this year. I lobbied other stores hard to join up, but ultimately they declined. Upfront cost and low return on investment were the two biggest reasons cited. I'd really like to see this come back (and come back big) to Twin Cities. I'm perplexed as to why they are so reluctant.

The only store in the Twin Cities that I know of is The Source. Did they not participate???
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ramone »

JonHook wrote:
Ramone wrote:Sadly the only store in Minnesota dropped out this year. I lobbied other stores hard to join up, but ultimately they declined. Upfront cost and low return on investment were the two biggest reasons cited. I'd really like to see this come back (and come back big) to Twin Cities. I'm perplexed as to why they are so reluctant.

The only store in the Twin Cities that I know of is The Source. Did they not participate???
No, they didn't. Last year I emailed Bob (the owner). He was the one who told me the comments in my previous post. Outpost 2000 located in Coon Rapids, MN was the only retailer who participated this year, and they dropped out of the program. Hot Comics and Collectibles in the Twin Cities also did not participate (again).

So there are no major retailers in the TC Metro area supporting the program. They all seem to think it a drain on resources with no clear benefit (to them).
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:I started the day at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL. I got there before opening and I'm glad I got there early. I was around #15 in a line that was two dozen deep before the store opened. Once they opened there was a slow, orderly line making its way to the freebies table. Image
Forming a line for the freebies table inside Games Plus
That's so cool. I'm the guy in the red St. Louis Cardinals hat, and that's my sister standing behind me. Not sure what book she's holding, but it's the one she read while I shopped. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Lime2K
Gongfarmer

Post by Lime2K »

I had to work that day, so I took advantage of Noble Knight's participation and ordered some BattleTech books I was missing. I got the Amethyst module, WOTC's Eberron module, and the Paranoia book. All great stuff.

Also loved the coupon in the book! [Yes, we said "stack" in the legal text and you knew what me meant.] had me _rolling_. I've used 'stack' regarding discounts at my store, too ^_^.
Aahz
Gongfarmer

Post by Aahz »

I convinced a local store, Haven Comics, to participate this year. It was the only store in Alabama to do so. I ran a couple of games such as Zombies!!! (I know, not RPG, but still fun) and PARANOIA (using the Free RPG Day adventure in fact). By the way, there is a page missing from the PARANOIA Free RPG Day material. The loyalty test mentioned in the demo mission on page XX is not found in the booklet. It has been posted on the Mongoose Publishing forums at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=39927.

Kerry

Return to “Goodman Games General”