Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Level Up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:18 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Just wanted to say nice job on Issue 1 of Level Up! I just received it in the mail today and while I haven't read it cover to cover yet, the things I did read I really enjoyed. A Picture Tells 1,000 Words is a terrific idea. I think we've all done that with a picture at some point. The mag is jam-packed with content; I'm glad I got a subscription. Here's to many more...
8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Just had a quick question. When will Level Up Magazine be available in the Game Stores? Also how can I find a store near me that will be carrying it? I have called 4 stores in my area and only one store did they think they may have ordered the magazine.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Got my copy in the mail last week.

It's an awesome magazine chock full to bursting with crunchy and fluffy goodness. It's hard to believe it only costs 2 bucks!

Great job, guys!

The Book of Rituals
Goodman Games

Warlock Pacts
Adamant Entertainment

The Iron Gazetteer
Open Design

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 am 

I got my copy of Level Up last week in the mail and I have to say it's really great. So much useful information for either a DM or a player. The articles were well written and it was hard to put down. Great job! I can't wait to see what your next issue has.

L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:39 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

adventurer1971 wrote:
I got my copy of Level Up last week in the mail and I have to say it's really great. So much useful information for either a DM or a player. The articles were well written and it was hard to put down. Great job! I can't wait to see what your next issue has.

L

Thanks. Glad you're enjoying the magazine.

As for next issue, I'll utter only this cryptic phrase:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Make of that what you will. :twisted:

BD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:25 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Blackdirge wrote:
Cthulhu Crawl Classics

*Hastily grabs the phone to call FLGS and reserve a copy of #2*

*Drops phone on foot and, in pain, careens into desk*

*Knocks desk over, with whole bunches of work and projects and stuff on it and in it, which spills into a meaningless jumble of random information and ideas*

*Manages to find phone again*

*Calls FLGS to reserve copy*

*Sits happily, with goofy, half-brained smile on his face amid wreckage*

...Totally worth it.

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:01 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Lol!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Blackdirge wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Now that's just wrong. When is the next issue coming out? :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:31 am 
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Blackdirge wrote:
Cthulhu Crawl Classics

I am in pain until I receive this issue. :evil:

Enigma-Judge Narzill Tanntos (armorer Cleric of Amun Tor 4); Strength 15; Agility 10; Stamina 14; Personality 14; Intelligence 8; Luck 16; Neutral; AC 16 (banded mail); HP 24; missing three fingers from left hand.

Please, call me Master Jenks while we're in the Sign of the Three Rats flophouse.

"Will somebody please call all the ambulances?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

First off, thank you GG for putting out Level Up. It is an awesome magazine crammed with DnD goodness! An adventure, new feats, paragon paths, dinos, a god of war, and---Man! It's got everything but the kitchen sink in there!
Great Job!
The bad? Now i have to wait for the next issue! How long til i see the new issue with Cthulhu? Man.. the wait is torture!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Count Zero wrote:
Blackdirge wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

The next issue is out in July. I'll post a table of contents and the cover for LU02 in the next week or so.

BD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Blackdirge wrote:
Count Zero wrote:
Blackdirge wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

The next issue is out in July. I'll post a table of contents and the cover for LU02 in the next week or so.

BD

Right on, thanks. I know its probably way too early to tell but has their been talk of going monthly or bi-monthly? I'm sure it depends on sales and manpower, but I'm just curious. I told my group that the only things allowed in my campaign are official WotC material and Goodman Games material. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:51 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Blackdirge wrote:
Count Zero wrote:
Blackdirge wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

BD

Count Zero wrote:
Right on, thanks. I know its probably way too early to tell but has their been talk of going monthly or bi-monthly? I'm sure it depends on sales and manpower, but I'm just curious.

No talk of changing the format yet. The first issue is only a few weeks old, and that's certainly not enough time to gather any significant sales data. I would guess that we'll need to see at least an entire year of sales before we can think about changing the format.

Count Zero wrote:
I told my group that the only things allowed in my campaign are official WotC material and Goodman Games material. :)

What, no Blackdirge Publishing material allowed? No Critter Cache? :D

BD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:37 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Blackdirge wrote:
Blackdirge wrote:
What, no Blackdirge Publishing material allowed? No Critter Cache? :D

BD

Well yeah, but that stuff is for me. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:04 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

There's a review of Level Up over at the Flames Rising horror webzine. Check it out, if you want to hear the impressions of someone with no connection to the writers/editor of this magazine. :)

Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:01 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

I just got done reading the first issue of Level Up from cover to cover and I have to add myself to the list of gamers who are very happy with this publication. I love PDFs but sometimes I just want to walk away from my computer to a nice, sunny spot on the other side of the house with a magazine in hand. Since it has been some time since the Dragon and Dungeon conversion I made a point of doing just that with Level Up.

Man this mag is packed full of goodness. Great articles, good system contributions (monsters and templates were great but the paragon paths needed some work) and fun art. Two thumbs up!

I know Vincent (Flames Rising reviewer) had a problem with the colors but I did not miss them. The format of each power description tells us what kind of power it is so the colors aren't necessary. AND, as the book is black and white, and I was very happy with the issue... I broke out the color pencils and started coloring the art in the book. Sometimes it is good to just be a kid again (and I am old enough to have 3 kids of my own).

One question... Page 17, Probing Shot... Flavor Text... Your first shot uncovers a weakness in your opponent's defenses, and each shot thereafter takes advantages of it.

Sounds good but is the Dex +2 the bonus that represents the 'takes advantage of it' part? If one reads the flavor text as 'this' attack as the Probing Attack then I would think an effect like '+2 to hit that opponent until the end of your next turn' would be more appropriate (or maybe until the end of the encounter, being a level 20 attack and all). I need to compare this power to other Level 20 attacks but it seems woefully underpowered for some reason. Your thoughts?

All in all, though, it is a very good first issue and I am looking forward to the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Storyteller wrote:
I just got done reading the first issue of Level Up from cover to cover and I have to add myself to the list of gamers who are very happy with this publication. I love PDFs but sometimes I just want to walk away from my computer to a nice, sunny spot on the other side of the house with a magazine in hand. Since it has been some time since the Dragon and Dungeon conversion I made a point of doing just that with Level Up.

Man this mag is packed full of goodness. Great articles, good system contributions (monsters and templates were great but the paragon paths needed some work) and fun art. Two thumbs up!

I know Vincent (Flames Rising reviewer) had a problem with the colors but I did not miss them. The format of each power description tells us what kind of power it is so the colors aren't necessary. AND, as the book is black and white, and I was very happy with the issue... I broke out the color pencils and started coloring the art in the book. Sometimes it is good to just be a kid again (and I am old enough to have 3 kids of my own).

One question... Page 17, Probing Shot... Flavor Text... Your first shot uncovers a weakness in your opponent's defenses, and each shot thereafter takes advantages of it.

Sounds good but is the Dex +2 the bonus that represents the 'takes advantage of it' part? If one reads the flavor text as 'this' attack as the Probing Attack then I would think an effect like '+2 to hit that opponent until the end of your next turn' would be more appropriate (or maybe until the end of the encounter, being a level 20 attack and all). I need to compare this power to other Level 20 attacks but it seems woefully underpowered for some reason. Your thoughts?

All in all, though, it is a very good first issue and I am looking forward to the rest.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the magazine.

As for probing shot, it looks like the bottom half of that power was cut off. The bottom portion should read:

Effect: For the rest of the encounter, when you make a ranged basic attack against the target, the damage inflicted by the attack increases by 1[W].

BD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

A little late to the party here, but I'd also like to throw in a "great job!". I just picked up my copy from my local game store...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:15 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

fathead wrote:
A little late to the party here, but I'd also like to throw in a "great job!". I just picked up my copy from my local game store...

Thanks!

Be sure to let us know which features you liked and what kind of content you'd like to see in the future.

BD

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:47 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Blackdirge wrote:
As for probing shot, it looks like the bottom half of that power was cut off. The bottom portion should read:

Effect: For the rest of the encounter, when you make a ranged basic attack against the target, the damage inflicted by the attack increases by 1[W].

BD

Okay, I will pencil that in. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:39 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

dmteacher wrote:
Just had a quick question. When will Level Up Magazine be available in the Game Stores? Also how can I find a store near me that will be carrying it? I have called 4 stores in my area and only one store did they think they may have ordered the magazine.

Hopefully you found it at your local stores by now. If not, let me know which stores are having trouble getting it and I'll take care of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:04 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

My LGS should have it by now, but he was saying he was having trouble getting it because the demand was bigger than the supply? Is that true Joe? If so, congratulations! Sounds like you have a winner right out of the gates!

I'll be going to my LGS in a few hours, hopefully my copies will be in.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:05 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

He still hasn't gotten my copies in! WTH!?!?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Several distributors have sold out. If he's waiting on copies from Alliance, he's out of luck. Send me his contact info and I'll give him a call to make sure he's able to get copies.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:43 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

goodmangames wrote:
Several distributors have sold out. If he's waiting on copies from Alliance, he's out of luck. Send me his contact info and I'll give him a call to make sure he's able to get copies.

http://national.citysearch.com/profile/32327586/sierra_vista_az/pyrimid_comics_games.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next